We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » A routine I've come up with... (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pit Boss
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Pit Boss
...which I call "Subli-Mental". The only requirements are three business cards (or similar), and a pen.

Greg Arce's take on it: "It works, and I can see it being something to easily carry around and perform at a moments notice... a perfectly functional routine that I'm sure many will like to have in their arsenal."

I will email the PDF to the first few folks who PM me their email address. All I ask is that you try it out, and report your thoughts either in this thread or via PM.

Thanks, JD Roberts
Pit Boss
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Pit Boss
Alright, all available review copies have been sent. My apologies if I didn't get to you, but the number of requests was overwhelming. It's possible, depending on the feedback, that I will release this routine, but I want to make sure that 1) it's worthy, and 2) it's original and I haven't re-invented something. Thanks everyone for your interest.

JD
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12355 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Feb 1, 2017, Pit Boss wrote:
Alright, all available review copies have been sent. My apologies if I didn't get to you, but the number of requests was overwhelming. It's possible, depending on the feedback, that I will release this routine, but I want to make sure that 1) it's worthy, and 2) it's original and I haven't re-invented something. Thanks everyone for your interest.

JD

Kind of like throwing bread out to the seagulls at the beach. Soon there are more seagulls than bread crumbs. Haha
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
January
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of January
JD--thank you very much for sending me this!

On first read, this is a very clean, impromptu routine perfect for an informal setting. I will give it a try on some real people soon. I will also send a few suggestions to you, JD.
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1053 Posts

Profile of sbays
I just read through this (Thanks JD) and I really like it. It is very direct with some nice subtleties. I love traditional billet work, so this will fit in nicely. I will road test this a bit and probably adjust some handling a bit to fit me, but this is a solid routine.

I will report back when I perform it a bit. Nice work JD!
"Opportunity may only knock once, but temptation leans on the doorbell."
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of E.E.
JD sent me a review copy.

I've performed it three times now in front of a real audience on informal after-show demonstrations, since I am not a close up performer and this is pretty much a close up effect.

I have to say I'm impressed with this routine. It is so clean and so well thought. Every movement looks completely natural.
Yes, you need to master some moves but nothing too complicated.

The effect is very straight-forward and the props are minimal, which is a strong point for any close up performer.

Also, most close up pieces tend to come off as mental magic, because usually there's no time to set the scene appropiately.
I feel this routine makes the effect look like the real deal.

I really like this and I'm glad JD sent me a copy.

Best,
Ever
I shall see you on the other side.
January
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of January
I second E.E.'s thoughts.

I have mentioned them elsewhere, but I'll mention again here the strengths of this routine.

I performed it for my wife, who--as far as knowledge goes--knows nearly as much about mentalism as I do. She has quickly become quite the encyclopedia of method, sometimes seeing straight through the effects of very accomplished performers. Even further, I should state that she in some form or fashion knew all the pieces of method that come together to form this routine.

Even so, she did not deduce how it was accomplished, even though she was specifically looking for one or two of these things. This is not an effect where a method is crammed into the logic of mind-reading and a certain venue, but rather a nice, straightforward, simple routine that can make a quick, strong impression. Because of this the method is quite hidden and natural. There is never the sense that you're asking the participant to do something strange, or that you yourself are doing something unusual.

Although I'm still somewhat new to mentalism, the feel of the routine is similar to much of the one-on-one closeup routines that Colin McLeod performs on his Opening Minds series. Quick, direct, to the point. If you like those sort of routines, this would be a nice fit.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » A routine I've come up with... (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL