The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Don't sorry, it may be that none of it is real anyway. (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20394 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Hard as it is for you to imagine I was certainly not talking about you when I mention "sciency guys".
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16031 Posts

Profile of tommy
If scientists can speculate then why can’t I?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20394 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Who said you can't? I just choose to put far less value to your speculation.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27097 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Not "mere" speculation. Read Newton. concise, cogent, ...start with that first rule about parsimony... No computer manufacturers, programmers, testing etc unless that's the most elegant way to account for natural events. See the book Red Shirts by Scalzi for more appropriate use of external/programming applied to events. Smile

The speculum has its own story. spoilers/trade secrets.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16031 Posts

Profile of tommy
Scientists say...things we do not understand, the value of which is a mystery.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1352 Posts

Profile of lynnef
There is a difference between "science" and "scientists". Wasn't it Amazing Randi (might be wrong about the author) who said that "scientists are easy to fool", in reference to Uri Geller? Lynn
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
197 Posts

Profile of R.S.
People in general are easy to fool. Which is why the scientific method is so powerful.

RE Uri Geller, remember when he failed miserably on Johnny Carson? Carson beautifully utilized the scientific method when he established controlled conditions.

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6614 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Feb 2, 2017, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 2, 2017, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 1, 2017, magicfish wrote:
Science is losing credibility year after year.

How, specifically, would anyone else come to that opinion?

By checking it against scripture, of course.

Scripture? Could you elaborate on this John? Please forgive my ignorance, I don't know much about theology.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Feb 11, 2017, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Scripture? Could you elaborate on this John? Please forgive my ignorance, I don't know much about theology.

Obvious trap is obvious John.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16031 Posts

Profile of tommy
Obvious John the magician?

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27097 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Feb 11, 2017, tommy wrote:
Obvious John the magician?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

archetype? Post Hoc, the wizard who conjures with "ex post facto!"
...to all the coins I've dropped here
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6614 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Feb 11, 2017, NYCTwister wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 11, 2017, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Obvious trap is obvious John.

Trap?! What on earth are you talking about?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16031 Posts

Profile of tommy
Heaven knows which is not on earth but theological.

Tommy
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6614 Posts

Profile of magicfish
K this is getting too weird.
I was enjoying following this thread.
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
197 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Magicfish, how exactly is "science losing credibility year after year"? You never did elaborate on that.

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2017, R.S. wrote:
Magicfish, how exactly is "science losing credibility year after year"? You never did elaborate on that.

Ron

And, based on past performance, he never will.

You optimism is admirable though.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16031 Posts

Profile of tommy
My scientific credentials have been called into question several times today.

Tommy
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6614 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Despite Twister's mean spirited potshots, I will try to elaborate.
Part of the reason I don't sometimes is because unfortunately, the more you reveal here, the more you get mercilessly lambasted and abused.
Anyway, for those nicer, less hostile members, I will try.
(Also, I am a much better speaker than I am a writer).
A while ago I read an interesting article about the constant delivery of science news.
Before the mobile internet craze, scientific discoveries would be reported. Some significant, some minor. But with an insatiable appetite for constant science news through daily news feeds, bits of scientific research and their results are coming in from thousands of different sources with thousands of contradicting interpretations. Every day on my smartphone I read that scientist have discovered something incredible. Its such a huge flood that its hard to know what has been proven, what hasnt, weather it was a conclusive experiment, weather the results were determined with expertise etc.
I cant do the article justice here. It was quite thought provoking and was more about lack of expertise and mistrust of sources than about "scripture".
Anyway. There, I regrettably elaborated. Now Ill stick my jaw out so the Hostile bitter twister can punch my lights out with his genius.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20394 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
What you are saying is there is an overload of information and it is a monumental task to sort through to separate the good from the bad. Makes sense to me.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2017, magicfish wrote:
Despite Twister's mean spirited potshots, I will try to elaborate.
Part of the reason I don't sometimes is because unfortunately, the more you reveal here, the more you get mercilessly lambasted and abused.
Anyway, for those nicer, less hostile members, I will try.
(Also, I am a much better speaker than I am a writer).
A while ago I read an interesting article about the constant delivery of science news.
Before the mobile internet craze, scientific discoveries would be reported. Some significant, some minor. But with an insatiable appetite for constant science news through daily news feeds, bits of scientific research and their results are coming in from thousands of different sources with thousands of contradicting interpretations. Every day on my smartphone I read that scientist have discovered something incredible. Its such a huge flood that its hard to know what has been proven, what hasnt, weather it was a conclusive experiment, weather the results were determined with expertise etc.
I cant do the article justice here. It was quite thought provoking and was more about lack of expertise and mistrust of sources than about "scripture".
Anyway. There, I regrettably elaborated. Now Ill stick my jaw out so the Hostile bitter twister can punch my lights out with his genius.

Spare me your false outrage.

So you equate the greater availability to science, and "incredible daily discoveries!" to "science losing credibility every year".

People have memories, and from your past posts it's obvious what your beliefs are.
Those posts have also shown a pattern of making rhetorical statements, and then going silent when asked to clarify, as you did here, before displaying your hurt feelings.

Still, I suppose, that's some kind of progress.

So when you bait John with "I know nothing about theology" I call the obvious trap, and the trapper, what it is...obvious.

Now, that's my opinion which I'm entitled to, as you are yours, which of course requires you to call me "hostile" and "bitter"

Imo.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Don't sorry, it may be that none of it is real anyway. (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL