The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Review: Calculated Risk Plus, by Michael Murray (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

January
View Profile
Veteran user
388 Posts

Profile of January
I'm not really a card type of guy, but I recently began working on my card skills so I could do something when people shove a deck of cards at me--the mindreader--at a party.

In the same way, I am not generally an iPhone effect kind of guy, but it seems people's minds immediately hop to the idea of hacking phones when they hear you're a mind reader, psychic, etc. This is where Calculated Risk Plus can be invaluable.

Murray's book does not rest on an app to function, the effects are impromptu, the eBook contains several great ways to wow people with a borrowed iPhone.

I won't waste time describing each effect on its own, since you can read about them here:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/6217

My favorites:

Calculated Risk: The title effect is a really great impromptu effect where you unlock two spectators' iPhones. For those worried that this somehow functions on a security loophole/vulnerability that Apple will soon close, your fears are unfounded.

Perfect Opener: This is a fun effect whereby you can telepathically send your phone code to someone else, enabling them to intuit your phone code and unlock your phone.

In my opinion, these two are the strongest effects, and though they have a lovely parallel relation to each other, the methods are completely different. (I know some people are uneasy about repeating effects or similar methods one after another, but there's no danger of that here--in fact, the combination of the two really serves to logically disconnect the process.)

There's such a wealth of ideas here, and Murray has a creative way of exploring the different directions that each opens up. There are several effects that can sort of be stacked with others, so to speak. There are quite a few more effects that explore the iPhone's capabilities, enabling you to reveal quite a lot about a participant in a short amount of time.

Murray has clearly put a lot of time into this eBook. Unlike some publications that look pretty rough, this eBook is cleanly edited, with clear instructions, and perfect step-by-step illustrations of how to implement these effects. The step-by-step screenshot instructions are very nice for someone like me who needs to "see" how it's done.

I've performed these effects for people who are completely fooled by them. So, before reading this book I wasn't really an iPhone guy, but I realized just how personal our phones are to us these days, and how the simple ability to divine someone's phone code, really translates to so much more, as people have their entire identity on their phone. Indeed, in the days of online banking, social networking, and online shopping, the unlocking of someone's phone isn't a "neat little phone trick." It's something much deeper than that, and can make a lasting impression on those you meet of your mindreading abilities in an impromptu setting.
Escamoteur
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Escamoteur
Hello January,

As you mentioned just IPhone, I probably know the answer, but figured I'd still inquire if any or all of these effects would work with a non IPhone smartphone? (I am a Android user and lately it seems Android phones are becoming much more common).

Carter
January
View Profile
Veteran user
388 Posts

Profile of January
I am not sure how many would transfer. I tried some of the basics on my sister's Android, and it seemed that it wouldn't work, but I'm not familiar with Androids, so I may have missed it.
celebrity
View Profile
Inner circle
1576 Posts

Profile of celebrity
Many thanks for the kind words January, I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the book and equally that you appreciate the writing style and lay out too. One important point worth mentioning is that most of the effects within the book can be performed with a borrowed iPhone such as the main effect "Calculated Risk". Where possible I will always use the spectators mobiles and so even if you do not have an iPhone you can still get use from the majority of the effects Smile

I still have more iPhone related effects to release and may then pick up an android phone to examine what I can do with them.

Also if you want to order the physical or digital versions direct from me you can get a small discount by entering the code SMILE at the third stage of the checkout. My direct site is www.mindfx.co.uk

Best Wishes Michael
As a mentalist you must always ask yourself what if! And throughout your life you should seek to ask and answer this question over and over again, only then will your wildest dreams become a reality!

Visit - www.mindfx.co.uk to learn more!
January
View Profile
Veteran user
388 Posts

Profile of January
Quote:
On Feb 3, 2017, celebrity wrote:
Many thanks for the kind words January, I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the book and equally that you appreciate the writing style and lay out too. One important point worth mentioning is that most of the effects within the book can be performed with a borrowed iPhone such as the main effect "Calculated Risk". Where possible I will always use the spectators mobiles and so even if you do not have an iPhone you can still get use from the majority of the effects Smile

Yes! I think that's my favorite thing about most of the effects is that they use a borrowed phone. I doesn't get any fairer or cleaner than that. Actually, the only one that uses the performer's phone is where the participant "receives" your phone code from you.
Escamoteur
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Escamoteur
Fair point about being able to use a borrowed phone. Good to know. I guess my concern still would be practicing this, as from a pool of folks I know I think there is just one Iphone user. Nevertheless, as I do not currently do any effects with phones, and wish to avoid apps, this might be worth exploring.

Carter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Review: Calculated Risk Plus, by Michael Murray (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL