The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Angelo Carbone - The Gift (533 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10..17..24..31..38~39~40~41~42..46~47~48 [Next]
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
1897 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
Product description : I love Angelo Carbone’s magic, he’s so clever, his inventions are outstanding and the working of it is often better than the trick itself. With The Gift, the main plot is to have a little prediction inside a box, from the beginning of the trick. The idea is to never open the box again and let the spectator open the box himself ! So you can do any kind of routine you want, from a card trick to a free selection among several objects, the possibilities are limitless ! Is it worth the price asked ? Is it good ? Let’s find out !

Price and where to buy it : This is sold at $74.95 for the black version and $99.95 for the gold and limited edition and you can find it in nearly every Murphy's magic « partner » shop !

What you get : You get a cardboard box, very nicely printed and made, they put some effort in the packaging so you’re not disappointed when you receive the trick, it’s important. Inside, you will find a link to watch the explanation video, there are actually 2 videos. The first one is a trouble shoot guide on what to do if your box doesn’t work out of the package (hopefully, mine worked perfectly). The second video teaches you a few routines, especially with the deck provided. And of course, you get the box, I got the black one, which is very well made, the cardboard looks sturdy so it should last. The gimmick is invisible inside, the design helps a lot to disguise everything. You also get another “gimmick”, in order to activate the whole thing but you can adapt it to anything you want ! And finally, a gimmicked deck of card so you can do a prediction card routine. For the price, I’m not disappointed at all ! This is so fun to play with and people love it.

Teaser : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnvvM7dwWxg

The pros and the cons : Here is the core of my review, let's begin with the cons, as I will usually be doing, I prefer to keep the good things for the end.

THE CONS :
– You have a limited number of “outs”, it’s a number between 3 and 5.. So you can’t have a lot of reveal but it’s enough, mainly because the spectator opens the box himself.
– Sometimes, the box is hard to activate, you have to find the sweet spot, it’s not easy everytime.

THE PROS :
– The working of this is amazing, Angelo is known for his clever thinking and the method here is as good as the effect in my opinion. I do admire Angelo thinking.
– The people can open the box themselves which is a big plus in my opinion, it looks so fair, they won’t think you did anything with the box, it really looks impossible.
– The box is really well made, very sturdy and it should last a long time. Just care for water, I don’t think the box will like it.
– You can reveal almost anything you want, it has to be written on some kind of paper, but you can even adapt the paper (it can be post it etc..).
– I LOVE the routine with the torn paper ! It’s so much better than with just a little paper in the box at the end. Because of the ripping, it gives a continuity in the trick, so people think they’ve seen the same paper the whole routine, it’s that good.
– A Rubik’s cube can fit inside the box, I have a Rubik’s routine, so it’s perfect, I can now carry my cube and have another 5 minutes routine with a big impact before doing it !
– The gimmick is almost invisible, nobody would notice it and the fun fact is that people don’t want to look at the box, they don’t think it can be gimmicked because it’s just a regular box for them.

Overall rating : I love this, I didn’t think I would have liked this so much, it’s so much fun to play with and people find the routine very strong, 4/4 hearts.

As for the difficulty level, it’s almost self working, you just have to train a little bit so you find the sweet spot every time, I would say 2/5 stars.

Similar products : I don’t really know any product which can achieve the same thing, maybe vertigo prediction but it’s not the same “plot”.

If you liked my review, make sure to check all my other ones on my website : http://lesavisdalexis.wixsite.com/reviews
Get yourself Stamper, the perfect walkaround packet trick: https://youtu.be/rwtfeKFeLms

Make sure to check my English review Channel! http://www.youtube.com/c/alexisreviews
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1377 Posts

Profile of Angelo Carbone
Thank you Alex for taking the time to review this. I am glad you are happy with it.
The Gift: Trick of the Year 2017
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/themagicinventor
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1377 Posts

If you are still sitting on the fence about this trick, here are several unbiased reviews. Just hit the reviews tab in the following link:
https://www.magicshop.co.uk/the-gift
Arielhamui
View Profile
New user
Buenos Aires, Argentina
58 Posts

Profile of Arielhamui
This is an ingenious box that can be used for a multitude of wonderful strong mentalism effects. I love ir it. Its the type of props that you will allways use! ,
Angelo did a great job creating this amazing box! I would love to have a stage version of this game!
Congratulations angelo!!! 10/10! This box is comming to Argentina with me
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2179 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Wow ... pages of discussion? I will keep this brief

magicbyswh
View Profile
Inner circle
North East Tennessee
1548 Posts

Profile of magicbyswh
David I like your reviews but you said the deck can pass inspection and that is not true. The deck is NOT inspectable.
Creator of Cereal Brainwave, Creator of the Tossed out Book
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2179 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
It's a casual inspection - being that the spectator handles the deck and deals through the cards with no prompting from you. "Vanished and Gone" is the same principle, the spectator can hold the deck and deal through the entire deck and never see "the secret"
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1377 Posts

Thank you David for taking the time to review The Gift!
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1377 Posts

Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
6010 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I love this it's brilliant but want to use it more . Any suggestions on how to carry it around if you are table hopping? I would like to show this effect to all my tables as have a couple of different routines with it . Best wishes Tarik 🙂
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6199 Posts

Profile of videoman
I agree it's brilliant and love it too.

Now I haven't table hopped in years but it seems to me that beyond carrying it, constantly having to reset it would quickly become a hassle as well as producing a lot of wear and tear on the box.

I wouldn't want to try and reset it between tables, out in the open, while moving about no less. Just don't see how you can avoid looking like you are fiddling around inside the box too much. With all the other possible effects available I can't imagine wanting to go to the trouble myself, but if you can then more power to you.
But I'd save it for a couple special tables and be able to give it the time and focus it deserves.
thecromulent
View Profile
Veteran user
Brooklyn, NY
345 Posts

Profile of thecromulent
Any tips on how to mark the outside of the black version? A pencil dot won't show up, and my eyesight isn't that great anyway. I was thinking of maybe using a bit of black sticker along one bottom edge, so I can find the right side by feel. Any other thoughts?

Evan
Recoplon
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of Recoplon
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2017, thecromulent wrote:
Any tips on how to mark the outside of the black version? A pencil dot won't show up, and my eyesight isn't that great anyway. I was thinking of maybe using a bit of black sticker along one bottom edge, so I can find the right side by feel. Any other thoughts?

Evan

Really good question! I am interested too.
charliemagic
View Profile
Special user
545 Posts

Profile of charliemagic
I read somewhere that the small (usually gold) sticker that says "Made in XXXXX" works great.
It seems like a novelty item with the sticker.

Charlie
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6199 Posts

Profile of videoman
I started out using a "Made in China" sticker but ended up removing it and used the edge of a coin to make a very indiscreet nick on the bottom edge of one side. I've heard of others using a prominent "?" ( question mark) on the front and referring to it as the "Box of Mystery" or something along those lines.
But now I found I really don't need any markings at all.

If you begin with a card box inside of it (or any object that can't move or shift around) then I just use that to orient the box in the correct position when I open it at the beginning.
It then just sits there undisturbed until I come back to it. I've never had a problem with spectators grabbing it or moving it prematurely as there is no reason for them to care about the box at that point (or actually, at any point.)
I do still have the nick as a failsafe but never need it.
thecromulent
View Profile
Veteran user
Brooklyn, NY
345 Posts

Profile of thecromulent
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2017, videoman wrote:
If you begin with a card box inside of it (or any object that can't move or shift around) then I just use that to orient the box in the correct position when I open it at the beginning.

100% agree. I'd just like to have a failsafe. One less thing to worry about. Your idea about making a small indentation or nick is a good one.
jordanjohnson
View Profile
Special user
Hiding in the Shadows
587 Posts

Profile of jordanjohnson
I have the black version. I used a silver Sharpie marker and placed one single dot in the lower right hand corner of the box. Never been noticed and allows me to see it at a distance and orientate the box correctly.
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1377 Posts

I have always just used the deck inside the box as my orientation check. I know when I place it on the table after removing that deck which way is which.

However having accidentally lost orientation twice in performance, I now have a strong nail nick on one side of the box and on one side of the lid. Lesson learnt.

If you want a more tactile mark to feel, you could use a small dot of glue from a hot glue gun.
thecromulent
View Profile
Veteran user
Brooklyn, NY
345 Posts

Profile of thecromulent
Glue is a terrific idea. Thanks!

Evan
Argon
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
140 Posts

Profile of Argon
Hi guys, I love the made in china sticker idea!
That not only gives you the orientation but also totally disarms the box.
Cheers
Stefan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Angelo Carbone - The Gift (533 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10..17..24..31..38~39~40~41~42..46~47~48 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL