The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » I have a new respect for Blaine... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Having just watched Keith Berry (On MTV's Brainwashed) hack mentalism into what I can best describe as "BAD" B rated mental magic that isn't suitable for walk around at Denny's, I have a new respect for Blaine.

Why is every one trying to make mentalism and magic in general into A David Blaine production. Blaine is Blaine and that's it. The dry presentation adds to Blaines persona, but I fear that Keith has dropped the ball in his TV special.

He is presenting Pk Touches without any patter or script, he presents a badly hacked "Lift", and just about EVERY presentation is dry and without any patter. He went to a magic shop said: "What're the best mental effects?" learned how they worked, threw out the patter, added no thought and presented a dry, lame example of restaurant magic.

PLEASE, if anyone is making a TV special out there and they're not Blaine, don't try to be. And learn to be comfortable with each effect, and MAKE THEM YOUR OWN! Or, better yet, do your own stuff. Banachek should be weeping on his keyboard right about now.

Z
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Or better still give me a call and I will do it for you...just because Im a nice guy..
Withnail
View Profile
Special user
974 Posts

Profile of Withnail
Personally, I DON'T like Blaine's persona, but that's not to say I don't respect him.

I think he's done a heck of a lot to bring magic back in the media (like Derren Brown), which can only be a good thing, in my humble opinion.

Dr Z - I agree with your comments. There is only just about enough room for one David Blaine on this earth.
Yet again that oaf has destroyed my day
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
Yes I agree totally. I'd rather watch and stare at a wall. At least my wall would not be something that it cannot be.
carlomagic
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of carlomagic
Hello there,

Indeed.

'Street magic' has quite a lot to answer for. Not David Blaine, but the Blainite automatons that seem to appear on a weekly basis. Don't get me wrong, I respect anyone that has practiced their craft and made an effort. I enjoy seeing how different people handle different effects, but it is really frustrating to see magic presented in the 'check this out' monotone ramble that can't even be conidered presentation.

Max Somerset, for example, uses his musical talent and general performance skills to REALLY blow people away. He makes effects his own and even has a dry pop at dry Blainite impersonators.

And when I sit down and watch Lennart Green or Derren Brown I am in awe. I feel compelled to develop my own skills to levels I hadn't thought of. I laugh out loud and force my wife to sit through endless runs of the same effect gleefully cheering 'but watch this bit!'

I know what I would prefer to see, but then again, maybe some are just happy with 'shazam' - 'can you feel the magic' a la Bo Selecta.

By the way, Blaine's Persona, in my opinion, works for him.

Best regards,

Carlo
Withnail
View Profile
Special user
974 Posts

Profile of Withnail
Quote:
On 2004-03-30 11:09, carlomagic wrote:
I laugh out loud and force my wife to sit through endless runs of the same effect gleefully cheering 'but watch this bit!'

LOL Carlo! I know exactly what you mean! Mrs Withnail has the same problem. See you in the divorce courts buddy Smile
Yet again that oaf has destroyed my day
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
By all means, BLAINES PERSONA WORKS FOR HIM, not others.

I have reread my post, which is a rarety for me, and realise I was harsh. Keiths work was well very good technically. His magic was very entertaining. His accent was a bit, annoying, but I'm from Chicago what do I know.

I just cringe at the thought that some day I'll be performing these effects, maybe on television, and no matter what routines they are encompassed in, they will still amount to a parlor trick seen on MTV. CRINGE!
adolphus
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of adolphus
Some have said Barry's clipped style was perfect for the short-attention-span, Spring Break, Empty-V crowd. You can't expect a bunch of tipsy, sunburnt beach bums n' bunnies to sit thru too much patter, I guess.

My problem is his off-the-dealer-shelf approach to presenting the stuff, even giving the marketed names for his effects on a website! Plus, I can't help but think his special was a pre-emption of yet-to-be-seen specials from other prominent mentalists.
"Unlike the mere Conjuror, the Mentalist reaches into that space which a hat normally covers. And from there, he withdraws something more fleeting - and at times, far fuzzier - than any rabbit"
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Lets hope more mentalists are to come. The us isn't too tv friendly to mentalists.

I do believe there are at least a billion anchoring concepts he could have used to get a better reaction. I spend lots of times doing magic in bars, infact I have a stage show on monday nights now! Yippee, anyways, I have to compete with the same scenarios and think it could have been a stronger mentalism performance once again the magic was cool!
Captain Magic
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Captain Magic
Dr. Zodiac..I'm going to be passing thru the area soon, where is your Monday night show at?
ksalaz1
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of ksalaz1
I perform certain Mentalist effects at two restaurants here in NYC and I find that the set up is different than slight of hand. Blaine's dry presentation works for him b/c bells, whistles, and fireworks aren't needed for a mentalist effect. So I think that presenting a mentalist effect without too much patter can add to the effect. But God save me from boring patter!
"Master of the Obvious"
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
I happen to like Blaine and his style. I also saw Keith on tv and I thought he was very good. Maybe it's because I'm still young and not an all out pro in the field of mentalism, but I don't see a problem at all with either of these guys, I like to watch them. And Chris Angel too. I think if you're good you're good, no matter what you do or how you do it.

Anabelle
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
AH! I wish this wasn't so public of a forum, I have to watch what I say. But, in mentalism 100% of the effect is in the presentation. Its not a stumping puzzle to be pondered and though of as a trick. Mentalism is the grey area which hits you on a personal level.

Now whats more entertaining:
OK, did you feel something? 2 taps? But I tapped her not you.

or

The banachek patter about a dead uncle who still visits and save his life on occasion by tapping him on the shoulder, you know the rest.
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
I agree with Anabelle. As far as those guys create great reactions in real people, I respect them.
GaryW
View Profile
Veteran user
HSMagic
317 Posts

Profile of GaryW
I thought is was a nice spin on PK touches and the reactions of the spectators was very positive. His presentation for all was appropriate for the audience.
Gary Ailes
Hot Shot Magic
www.hotshotmagic.com
Captain Magic
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Captain Magic
Hey Dr. Zodiac, guess you may have missed my last post, I'm going to be passing thru Chicago area and wondering where your Monday night show is and times.
solidglint
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
212 Posts

Profile of solidglint
It must realy be annoying to watch other b grade performers $@#! up your creations. It is a pity that by buying the secrets it seems to give 'magicians' the right to just go out and perform with no regard to the consequences, most times with little or no practice.

I had the fortune of watching Marc Salem perform on Saterday evening. Living in South Africa we are not often exposed to mentalists from abroad. His act was just over two hours long and was entertainig and mystifying, it is the firs full mentalism act I have seen. The show had its humourous moments as well as the suspense a good actor would create in the minds of his audience. The show was aptly titled 'Mind Games'

I am sure that we must have some fine talent in our own country, I just have not yet been exposed to it yet as mentalists are few. I hope this post will serve as an invitation to some of the well known performers in this field to visit our beautiful country (if I am not mistaken Banachek lived in S.A for a while).
Xia
View Profile
Loyal user
London, England
286 Posts

Profile of Xia
Yes he did, and he was born in the uk if I'm correct.
"They say time is money...i say time is precious"
"They say the whole is much more than the sum of its Parts...Thats why a man is much more than the sum of his Past!"
Aubrey de Wet
View Profile
Regular user
South Africa, Johannesburg
111 Posts

Profile of Aubrey de Wet
I think South Africa will contribute a LOT to the magic fraternity in the next decade or so. We are some of the most creative nations out there.

Mark my words dude, mark my words.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » I have a new respect for Blaine... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL