The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Bruce Elliot Wine Glass (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Norm
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Norm
In his book, Bruce Elliot writes up Wally Dean's Miser's Dream routine with a wine glass and states that it is best to use a crystal wine glass to minimize breaking the glass when tossing in your coins.

This may be a dumb question, but how do I know if a wine glass is made of crystal? Is there any type of mark under the glass? Also, since I don't like spending too much money on props, might I find a single inexpensive crystal wine glass at the Bed, Bath, and Beyond, or better yet, the Dollar Tree?

For now, I'm practicing with a stainless steel camping goblet, so that I can practice holding the glass, but ultimately, I know the clear wine glass makes for more visual magic.

Thanks everyone!
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
BRUCE ELLIOT WAS MY MENTOR
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Norm
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Norm
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2017, vinsmagic wrote:
BRUCE ELLIOT WAS MY MENTOR

Wow Vinny, that explains why you are so good!
Smile
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Thsnks sadly Bruce passed away in 1977 car accident
he was a terrific magician
Come check out my magic.

JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
If it is crystal (most commonly called LEAD crystal) it will be marked accordingly with a label. But my suggestion is to look for TEMPERED glass. it will 'ring' as well as crystal and probably be more resistant to breaking. (many crystal pieces have very thin walls).

Tempered glass is about 2 1/2 times more resistant to breaking than conventional glass and well know brands include ARCOROC, Luminarc, Duralex, and Bromioli. Thay all make different styles of tempered glassware, so you can go online and do a search based on how large a glass you want to use. YOu may have to buy a set of 4 glasses if they are new, altho' some companies such as replacements inc.com may sell single pieces.
Target stores and other lower priced stores carry these brands as well and you often can find single glasses of Luminarc, Duralex and Arcoroc (since they have been around for many years) at thrift stores such as Salvation Army, etc;

I used to do a variation on Wally Dean's routine and incorporated elements of Vernon's 5 coins and glass method... and I wish you best of luck
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Norm
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Norm
JNeal... you're the best. I'm going to look into that.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2017, Norm wrote:
In his book, Bruce Elliot writes
it is best to use a crystal wine glass to minimize breaking the glass when tossing in your coins.

This may be a dumb question, but how do I know if a wine glass is made of crystal?

It is actually rather easy, drop some coins in it Smile

I'm surprise Vinny didn't pick up on this, but Elliot doesn't have just one book, but several books on magic.
I have several of his, and really enjoy them. The book you are probably referring to is "Classic Secrets of Magic". It has many show-worthy effects

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
JOHN I did pick up on it and I have two books and some of his phoenix. however no ever seems to mention Bruce Elliot.I just wanted to tell Norm how much he had meant to me.
he took me under his wing I was 14 years old living in new York city.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
If it's crystal, the glass will "ring" if you rub your finger around the lip of the glass...

https://youtu.be/En5HkSFAmug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAEXH9DAH98
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
All of Bruce Elliot's books are great: Professional Magic made Easy, The Best in Magic, Magic as a Hobby and best of all.... Classic Secrets of Magic (also sold as Secrets of the Master Magicians). I thi k I bought all of them for about 3 dollars each as remaindered items in the 1970's. all are well worth reading today...
visit me @ JNealShow.com
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2017, vinsmagic wrote:
JOHN I did pick up on it and I have two books and some of his phoenix. however no ever seems to mention Bruce Elliot.I just wanted to tell Norm how much he had meant to me.
he took me under his wing I was 14 years old living in new York city.
vinny

I too have notice that Elliot is not mentioned often, but I guess often enough that I bought 3 of his books.
I also remember, somewhere on the Café, of how he befriended you, encouraged you.. yes a good story, and how you have passed that on by very generously helping many on the Café; including myself. Thanks.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Classic Secrets of Magic, in particular, is ... a classic. Amongst other gems it includes the Dr Sack dice routine, the Benson Bowl and a way to hand print a blank business card.

Barry
Norm
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Norm
I apologize, guys. I assumed Bruce Elliot only had his Classics of Magic. I'm going to have to look into his other books especially if they are just as good. This book I have is amazing. I grew up seeing a lot of magicians perform those classics and am excited to try it out on my own now!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Norm!

>>>I will PM you<<<, re the Elliot books, and the 1 - 300 hardbound issues of the Elliot "Phoenix", (plus the 301-348 Jay Marshall issues, plus the 351-400 Don Tanner issues. A gold mine of material!

When I was doing my "swayve & deboner" act in the late '40s and early '50s, after experimenting with the stemmed wind glass, I used a "nice" tumbler style glass. I was doing the Fred Kapps coins and glass, that Lewis Ganson had included in his "Routined Manipulation", and the tumbler made it easier.

I used half dollars back then.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Norm
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Norm
You know what guys? it turns out that my wife was donating a set of four thick wine glasses. They do look gaudy, but, they seem thick enough to handle the coins. I will try them tonight. the only problem is that the stems are relatively short, but I won't know if that's a problem until I try it. I was assuming that a tall, conventional wine glass stem was needed to hold the coins properly.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Bruce Elliot Wine Glass (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL