We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » I Cheated Last Night... (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
I cheated and did some ‘hot readings’ last night. It blew up in my face. Still trying to backtrack and figure out what I did wrong. Fortunately, I was able to make a save with some ‘cold reading’, which I should have just done in the first place. The moral: NO SHORTCUTS!!!! Learn for my mistakes, people. Hopefully, one day I will too…
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1175 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
Interesting. Could you expand on this a little. What went wrong and what went right?
Lakewood, Ohio
January
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of January
With hot readings, if you ever reveal info too directly, you run the risk of being busted. I always make a rule to keep at least one level of separation between the two so it can't be backtracked very easily.

Quote:
On Feb 7, 2017, j100taylor wrote:
Interesting. Could you expand on this a little. What went wrong and what went right?

x2.
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
563 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Quote:

X3
Marc O
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
755 Posts

Profile of Marc O
What went wrong?

Was it false information?
Did you misinterpreted the obtained information?
Did they denied it because it was to personal?
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4485 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
"Hot Reading" is not cheating, but it must be used sparingly, lest you run afoul of the "too perfect" approach. I would begin with standard cold reading techniques and then pepper the reading with the tidbits that I gleaned from the info obtained using hot techniques. Start vague and then circle around the specifics until you blurt out the one item that will leave them gobsmacked.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
RexDeash
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of RexDeash
Quote:

X4
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3930 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Hot readings are great resources...but they are very much like drawi*g d*plications. If you draw it exactly, the effect screams "magic." If you draw something similar...maybe missing specific parts, it's more believable. It gives a much stronger sense that you are gathering impressions from their mind.

The internet is a wonderful resource that didn't exist in the Annemann and Corinda days. But it has to be used properly. I recently did an event that was designed to honor an executive who was retiring. A little time spent on his public FB page told me that he was planning to open a shelter for rescue dogs.

With a hot read it's not just about having the information. It's about how you present that information.

When I was doing his reading I asked him to simply concentrate on his new passion...whatever it might be. I first concluded that it was a restaurant he was planning to open because I saw him serving food to his guests.

He laughed and told me I was way off...and of course I was.

I told him that it was odd...but as I looked more deeply into him, it didn't feel to me like he was acting as a host to people. I shook my head in confusion. I admitted my impression made no sense at all to me. A certain light started appearing in his eyes. The people in the audience who knew his plans were paying close attention.

Then I switched and corrected myself...and said that I was no longer seeing a restaurant...although there was -- strange -- food being served. What I was visualizing was much more of a hospital. I asked him if this made any sense to him at all.

I told him I simply wasn't getting what that ambition was...but that I knew it was very important to him. I admitted defeat and he said that my impressions had been right on...and explained about his plans to open a shelter for rescued dogs.

Instant legend...the result of five minutes on the internet and a presentation that 'circled' the thing I had to reveal.

Would it have been stronger if I'd said "You're planning to open a shelter for rescue dogs, right?" I don't think so...not for me anyway.

They can't bust you for a half formed impression.

Hope this is helpful, bitterman.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Or a sales pitch for an ebook on hot reading?
I've asked to be banned
January
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of January
Yeah, even the great Derren Brown writes about getting busted on this at small venue performance in Absolute Magic. You have to be very careful. It does seem like you need to make it seem like you got there by cold reading, or get it a bit wrong, if you don't want it to come off as so unbelievable that it's--well, unbelievable.
Marc O
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
755 Posts

Profile of Marc O
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2017, January wrote:
It does seem like you need to make it seem like you got there by cold reading.

Why would you want them to think you got there by cold reading??
If it is one thing you don't want them to think of is that you got there by cold reading!

@ David: thank you, those are the gems I look for when giving a reading!
January
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of January
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2017, Marc O wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2017, January wrote:
It does seem like you need to make it seem like you got there by cold reading.

Why would you want them to think you got there by cold reading??
If it is one thing you don't want them to think of is that you got there by cold reading!

The second sentence doesn't make sense to me. I meant cold reading in the literal sense, or how an audience member would perceive it, merely that you did not have prior knowledge of the event--that you're reading the person, completely cold, without prior knowledge.

Obviously actual cold reading is different than that, and of course you never want to make it seem that barnum/rainbow statements, etc. is how you're doing things because that's pretty lame, no? But most spectators have no knowledge of cold reading, so they'd never assume that cold reading as we mentalists know it was the process.

I was merely seconding what David said--the process he described sounded similar to a process of what really good cold reading should look like to an audience member. The process and errors were there. The point is that when delivered directly like that, good hot reading should appear similar to good cold reading. If you just announce facts without any process through which they could have been obtained then and there, the assumption will automatically be that you had the info ahead of time.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12357 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2017, IAIN wrote:

Huh... Could it be?
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Or how to make hot look like cold...
I've asked to be banned
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2017, John C wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2017, IAIN wrote:

Huh... Could it be?

No, no book planned.... However, we are supposed to be snowed in for the next couple of days... hmmm.... Smile

Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
563 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2017, David Thiel wrote:
Hot readings are great resources...but they are very much like drawi*g d*plications. If you draw it exactly, the effect screams "magic." If you draw something similar...maybe missing specific parts, it's more believable. It gives a much stronger sense that you are gathering impressions from their mind.

The internet is a wonderful resource that didn't exist in the Annemann and Corinda days. But it has to be used properly. I recently did an event that was designed to honor an executive who was retiring. A little time spent on his public FB page told me that he was planning to open a shelter for rescue dogs.

With a hot read it's not just about having the information. It's about how you present that information.

When I was doing his reading I asked him to simply concentrate on his new passion...whatever it might be. I first concluded that it was a restaurant he was planning to open because I saw him serving food to his guests.

He laughed and told me I was way off...and of course I was.

I told him that it was odd...but as I looked more deeply into him, it didn't feel to me like he was acting as a host to people. I shook my head in confusion. I admitted my impression made no sense at all to me. A certain light started appearing in his eyes. The people in the audience who knew his plans were paying close attention.

Then I switched and corrected myself...and said that I was no longer seeing a restaurant...although there was -- strange -- food being served. What I was visualizing was much more of a hospital. I asked him if this made any sense to him at all.

I told him I simply wasn't getting what that ambition was...but that I knew it was very important to him. I admitted defeat and he said that my impressions had been right on...and explained about his plans to open a shelter for rescued dogs.

Instant legend...the result of five minutes on the internet and a presentation that 'circled' the thing I had to reveal.

Would it have been stronger if I'd said "You're planning to open a shelter for rescue dogs, right?" I don't think so...not for me anyway.

They can't bust you for a half formed impression.

Hope this is helpful, bitterman.

David

David, this is flat out genius! In the age of the internet, this is a beautiful way to use the information without being obvious. Kind of a way to 'blur the lines' of a typical reveal while making it far more powerful in the end.

If used in the proper moments, this is a very powerful tool to remember.
casco1
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of casco1
I always use hot readings to make my cold reading stronger and it always works great. What actually went wrong for you?
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
Quote:
On Feb 15, 2017, casco1 wrote:
I always use hot readings to make my cold reading stronger and it always works great. What actually went wrong for you?

She just shut down as we were talking. Kept saying 'no' to everything until I switched back to the cold read. David's thought on this are very helpful. I may have been just too 'on the nose'.

bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2601 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
You kind of need to mis-remember the information, almost kid yourself that you didn't see it or actually literally try to forget it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » I Cheated Last Night... (13 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL