We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Looking for something for Parlor. (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1153 Posts

Profile of Corbett
I'm looking for suggestions for a stand-up routine (not 3 fly or coins across) for a parlor setting. Go.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3363 Posts

Profile of warren
Possibly hanging coins Curtis Kam has a nice easy one that's angle friendly.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4186 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Magical Money Rap - Penguin Lecture Live 2
Twilight Zone Wild Coin - Penguin Live lecture 2 /upcoming At the Table lecture
AT LAST - a NEW fun coins across!! MIGRATE is filled with laughs, magic, cool moves, lasts over 3 minutes, uses props, comes in a Poker Chip version or special Deluxe version with coins, and is about...BEARS! AT DEALERS EVERYWHERE!
https://youtu.be/hzf-Trbs4Ts

https://youtu.be/gGjMtW1DLjA

ALSO...available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
I HAVE A LIMITED AMOUNT OF COPIES AVAILABLE TO BE SIGNED, AND COME WITH A SPECIAL FREE GIFT! If interested, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com I also have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book, let me know if you want a pricelist.
plink
View Profile
Special user
661 Posts

Profile of plink
Ammar's Coins through Silk.
Labracabrador
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Labracabrador
Good old coin and silk routine by David Roth
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4860 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
I have a Handling Of Ramsay's 3 Coins In A hat. It is called coffee, Tea, or Ramsay! It Is in My Las Vegas Notes! P,M. Me If you are Interested ???
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
491 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
Look at "The Hook" by Larry Jennings...I think it's in The Classic Magic Of Larry Jennings". John Carey has a simplified handling here, if you want to get an idea of the premise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieiO8C82VdY
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
491 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
Oh, also Vernon's coins and glass is a classic.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2946 Posts

Profile of fonda57
R.Paul Wilson has a great version of The Hook, doesn't even use anything special.

How about miser's dream?
I j
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8883 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hiya Corbett... Smile

You might take a look at Me & My Hat. I actually came up with it when asked to do something in close quarters during a company dinner where I strangely was the only one wearing a hat...They all wanted to know why? Smile It's not a "classic" as some mentioned here, but it worked out really well, and I still get invited to a lot of company dinners, and I'm not even a part of the company anymore. Smile

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG6nWQwUt3k
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
L'homme Masque and T.Nelson Downs did pretty well producing a handful of coins as they bantered. A guy named Jarrow pulled in a theater full of people with a coin transposition using a volunteer. There's also the coin into nest of boxes...

Books of classic magic await. What do you want to share with your audience?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
David Fillary
View Profile
Special user
658 Posts

Profile of David Fillary
Look at old coin magic books (pre-Bobo), many of which can be found online due to being out of copyright.
Since most performances back then were for parlour or larger, you will find plenty.

I think Miser's Dream is the best of the lot. I have only learnt it recently, but it has gone over extremely well on stage and up close.
Craig Ousterling
View Profile
Special user
575 Posts

Profile of Craig Ousterling
Kainoa Harbottle's "A Lesson in Coinjuring" Done in dollar coin size.
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1687 Posts

Profile of mystre71
I would suggest Kainoa Harbottle's "Vicorian Coins and Glass".
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
621 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
I like Daryl's "Elbow, Knee, & Neck."
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8696 Posts

Profile of harris
Can't remember who it was -
Back in 1976 a magician had a volunteer for help.
He asked the man to hold his hands tightly together.

The volunteer was asked

Is there any way I could get anything in or out of your hands

The man answered no.
This was repeated a few times
The magi then told the man to slowly open his hands.

Out came an amazing amount of coins singly and then in a stream.
It was at a big I. B. M. Convention in Kansas City.

From the simple above

I have considered adding a quality coin ladder.

I stuck with the simple so far.
(At least on the platform level)
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
SmileAndNod
View Profile
Veteran user
315 Posts

Profile of SmileAndNod
I think looking for a routine is the wrong way to approach coin magic in larger settings. Instead look at the way you perform and try to find ways to expand the size of it. Most coin magicians seem to think the audiences focus should be only in a 6 inch cube around the hands. Instead of showing a coin in front of your chest, raise the arm up and rest a bit longer each time you present a coin. This gives the audience more time to feel assured that the coin is where you say itis. Body language helps a lot too because people can't see the false transfer as clearly. After a false transfer, look at ways to better communicate that the coin is where you say it is.

Instead of producing coins from your sleeve or the air right in front of you, reach up into the air, or take off your shoe and dump out a coin.

I've performed 1 coin routines on stage. It can be done, just remember you have to be simple and clear with every action. If people have to strain to follow what you are doing, they will just give up trying to follow.
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1153 Posts

Profile of Corbett
Quote:
On Feb 19, 2017, SmileAndNod wrote:
I think looking for a routine is the wrong way to approach coin magic in larger settings. Instead look at the way you perform and try to find ways to expand the size of it. Most coin magicians seem to think the audiences focus should be only in a 6 inch cube around the hands. Instead of showing a coin in front of your chest, raise the arm up and rest a bit longer each time you present a coin. This gives the audience more time to feel assured that the coin is where you say itis. Body language helps a lot too because people can't see the false transfer as clearly. After a false transfer, look at ways to better communicate that the coin is where you say it is.

Instead of producing coins from your sleeve or the air right in front of you, reach up into the air, or take off your shoe and dump out a coin.

I've performed 1 coin routines on stage. It can be done, just remember you have to be simple and clear with every action. If people have to strain to follow what you are doing, they will just give up trying to follow.

Gee, thanks for the tip. Not.
SmileAndNod
View Profile
Veteran user
315 Posts

Profile of SmileAndNod
Sorry then.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8696 Posts

Profile of harris
As a harmonica and ukulele player I have done coin interludes.

Harmonica has sour note (ala mosquito whistle)
Culprits are coins that come out--
Short
I repeat

Short coin thing then back to say

Walmart line blues.

Ukulele pic becomes coin

I use soft pics because I felt like it.
Pause for reader and or audience to groan.

Coin becomes pic
Pic changes color.

A tie aka ukulele strap allows both hands to be free
with uke still secure.

Then a short imitation of Jimmy Hendrix doing Star-Spangled Banner

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d0k-pB1Se6g
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Looking for something for Parlor. (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.36 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL