The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown NYC Debut This Spring (34 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
SilasJude
View Profile
New user
Buffalo
97 Posts

Profile of SilasJude
Has it been confirmed that this show will be a combination of his previous shows, or should we expect new material?
Orlan
View Profile
Loyal user
Puerto Rico
214 Posts

Profile of Orlan
Also got a ticket, I'm sure it's going to be great.

Quote:
On Mar 14, 2017, SilasJude wrote:
Has it been confirmed that this show will be a combination of his previous shows, or should we expect new material?

I was recently rewatching his Penguin Lecture, and he was already planning a NY show for 2017 back then, consisting of the best-of previous shows. Also, in his "promo" video for his current run in London, he mentions it's a smaller, intimate show (I estimate ~ 200 seats from the theater layout, vs 1500 when I saw him doing Miracle in London), and will consist of his previous material. He's doing a test run for the NY show, so no spoilers please! Smile
dyoung
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of dyoung
I watched it on opening night here in London. ANd yeah it is a best of show... I couldn't even spoil the show if I wanted to. As apparently no two shows have been the same anyway Smile Constantly changing it putting things in, taking things out, apparently. Trying to find the best combination. What I found most interesting was the size, yes, 200 seats. Im assuming that's the size of the theater he will be playing in the US, so he's getting used to it. So I recommend everyone to go and see it! Seeing him live is so much better than the televised live shows.

Enjoy!

/Dan
minty
View Profile
Elite user
Rugby, Warwickshire
420 Posts

Profile of minty
I caught the show last night, and would highly recommend it. It featured my three favourite Derren routines and my favourite moment from his previous shows, so I was absolutely thrilled. A fair amount of the material was taken from his earlier shows, and the finale had been updated with some nice additional touches, and to work even better Stateside. It was wonderful to see him perform some beautiful pieces which I hadn't managed to catch first time round. I think one of the routines may have been from his very first tour, which was never televised.

The only niggle for me was that a celebrity chosen during one routine wasn't visually striking enough for me to recognise. I knew the name, and knew their work, but was unable to identify them come the applause cue. Judging by the audience reaction, I may have been the only person to feel this way.

I'm looking forward to going again in a fortnight, so it will be interesting to see if changes are still being made. I would recommend the show unreservedly. It was a joy to watch Derren performing some of his signature work.
FJR
View Profile
Regular user
London
129 Posts

Profile of FJR
I too saw Derren's 'Underground' last night, here in London.
It was my first time seeing Derren live. It was an absolute joy and marvel. Like Minty above, it was such a thrill to see pieces live that I assumed I never would, including some of my very, very favourites from previous shows which I had only ever seen televised.
It's not being too rose-tinted to say this was a dream come true. To see the* greatest performing Mentalist of our age live was a delight and a privilege.
Recommended without reservation to all who want to feel some wonder, and those who want to see our noble craft of Mentalism genuinely elevated to the realms of Art. A joy.

(*Insert "one of the" here instead if you think there are some who compare as performers of Mentalism.)

All the best,
Francis
Flaneur / Gentleman Amateur
Member of the I.B.M - Ring 25
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of E.E.
What past effects did he perform? I don't it would be spoiler since they are past effects... and I'm sure those will change from show to show.
I shall see you on the other side.
magikcid
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of magikcid
I got my tickets and reserved my seats. I can't wait. Ironically the two people I was most excited to see as of late are going to be performing around the same time in NYC. Derren is one and Derek Del Gaudio is the other. I feel like a kid waking up on Christmas morning.
minty
View Profile
Elite user
Rugby, Warwickshire
420 Posts

Profile of minty
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2017, magikcid wrote:
I got my tickets and reserved my seats. I can't wait. Ironically the two people I was most excited to see as of late are going to be performing around the same time in NYC. Derren is one and Derek Del Gaudio is the other. I feel like a kid waking up on Christmas morning.

I'd love the opportunity to see Derek in London someday.
ed wood
View Profile
Special user
585 Posts

Profile of ed wood
Saw the London show last night. Absolutely fantastic. Id say the second half was pretty much perfect, the first half I'm guessing they're still playing around with (not that there was anything wrong with it, the effects were tremendous, definitely some of his very best). Was sitting a few seats over from Andy Nyman and he was writing endless notes throughout the first act and sat back and relaxed in the second.
Minty - In regards to the celeb, I hadn't heard of him either but it was apparent that was sort of the point and it was all made clear towards the end. Also I think he is probably better known to a USA audience who that routine is definitely aimed at
minty
View Profile
Elite user
Rugby, Warwickshire
420 Posts

Profile of minty
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2017, ed wood wrote:
Minty - In regards to the celeb, I hadn't heard of him either but it was apparent that was sort of the point and it was all made clear towards the end. Also I think he is probably better known to a USA audience who that routine is definitely aimed at

Hi Ed! I think we're talking about different routines and different celebrities. I was referring to a routine in the first half (though of course that routine may not have been featured in your performance). I agree with your comments about the finale.
ed wood
View Profile
Special user
585 Posts

Profile of ed wood
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2017, minty wrote:
Quote:

Hi Ed! I think we're talking about different routines and different celebrities. I was referring to a routine in the first half (though of course that routine may not have been featured in your performance). I agree with your comments about the finale.

Oh, not what I was thinking then. Trying to be cryptic here so as not to give anything away...... did derren put on an extra piece of clothing for this particular effect, lets call it a smock.
minty
View Profile
Elite user
Rugby, Warwickshire
420 Posts

Profile of minty
Quote:
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2017, minty wrote:
Quote:

Oh, not what I was thinking then. Trying to be cryptic here so as not to give anything away...... did derren put on an extra piece of clothing for this particular effect, lets call it a smock.

PM sent.
prestidig
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of prestidig
I was lucky to see his show last Saturday night! Checked off one item of my bucket list. It was fantastic! Small intimate venue. Turns out a lot of Brits were at the show and he had to convince the audience that they were not stooges. The climax of the first half blew my mind. Loved the whole experience. Go if you can!
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1192 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
I'm going this Saturday. I've recommended all my friends see him. He better be good or I'm In big trouble!!! LOL
Robb
View Profile
Inner circle
1270 Posts

Profile of Robb
I'll be there Saturday. Say "Hi!" if you recognize me or want to grab a drink and chat mentalism after the show.
Alwow
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
548 Posts

Profile of Alwow
I'm going tomorrow night. Anyone else?
"Everything I show you is the truth... And the truth is the loveliest of lies"
TheDirectionalist
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I will have this many posts when you read this:
879 Posts

Profile of TheDirectionalist
Just saw it last night.. Absolutely incredible. It was like a montage of all my favorite Derren Brown routines.

And my night was made with a huge surprise as I walked out of the theater into the lobby area where I see David Blaine and Asi Wind casually standing and talking. They went unnoticed so I waited for most to leave and met both of them!! I still think I'm dreaming..
UBT (UNDERGROUND BOTTOM TEAR) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1104 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
I also saw the show last night. It was a great "best of" show. A little strange seeing it in NY where DB is not well known. In the UK, when he makes his initial entrance, the theater erupts with applause and cheers. Here, scattered applause (which last night my wife and I started). During the show two of the selected audience members messed up, but DB handled them like the pro he is, and I suspect no one was the wiser. The team are still tweaking the show for the opening in May. It's nearly sold out, but they'll probably extend a couple of weeks in June after it officially opens. If you want to see the greatest mentalist in the world, here's your chance. Don't miss out!

Bob
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2651 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
I've seen the show twice and I'm going to see it at least twice more.

A fantastic showman and an incredibly entertaining show!

I attended the matinee on Sunday and no less than Kreskin was sitting in the back row.

I'd discuss the contents of the show but DB asked the audience to keep it SECRET. Smile
Fred E. Bert
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
359 Posts

Profile of Fred E. Bert
I'm seeing Derren Saturday night as well. So excited to finally see him in New York.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown NYC Debut This Spring (34 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL