The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown NYC Debut This Spring (34 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Alwow
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
548 Posts

Profile of Alwow
Ed - Derren insinuates that this is still an early run of the show and they're still working on tweaking the show so I think they're intentionally keep things quiet right now.
"Everything I show you is the truth... And the truth is the loveliest of lies"
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18104 Posts

Profile of IAIN
In previous years, derren tends to say "please don't talk about xyz" - because as they refine and experiment with the early shows, he doesn't wanna disappoint future attendees if they end up dropping a certain piece from the show...

I have to say, even the show I didn't especially like, it was still entertaining and engaging...

i'm glad to see you guys are getting to experience his work live and in the flesh! I do think he is the best of the best and has remained consistent (quality wise) too...and considering he's been touring the UK near enough non-stop for over a decade, as well as his tv work - that's no mean feat...
Jon W.
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of Jon W.
Is there any dress code for the theater? I am going to the show next weekend and am unfamiliar with the theater scene in NYC. Can't wait to see it!
mikelsc
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of mikelsc
Not particularly a dress code but of course you are going to a theater so I would recommend against casual.

Jamy Ian Swiss wrote a blog about a few shows in NYC. It's a good read and I think some comments are very on point about Derren's performance.

http://www.magicana.com/news/blog/few-nights-magic
Fred Berthelot
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
358 Posts

Profile of Fred Berthelot
There's no dress code per se, but it is the theater after all. Outfits ranged from T-shirt and shorts to business suits. I wish I had dressed a little better had I known I would be on stage, but it was unusually hot in New York that day.

Jamy Ian Swiss' review is pretty spot-on, though I guess he missed Derren's claimer that he would use a mix of psychology, persuasion, illusion and lies. He flat out told the audience I AM GOING TO LIE TO YOU!
mikelsc
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of mikelsc
Quote:
On May 3, 2017, ed wood wrote:
Have there been any press reviews yet?

there are a few. go to Derren's facebook page and you will see.
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2652 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Quote:
On May 3, 2017, IAIN wrote:
In previous years, derren tends to say "please don't talk about xyz" - because as they refine and experiment with the early shows, he doesn't wanna disappoint future attendees if they end up dropping a certain piece from the show...

He says the same thing at this show: to keep it a secret. Though, as this thread shows, not everyone complies with that request.

I went to see the show on its first night and Derren explicitly referred to it as being in previews. According to this article, the actual opening night is Tuesday, May 16:
http://www.broadwayworld.com/off-broadwa......20170214

I saw the show again this past Tuesday. Stephen Sondheim was in attendance, as were Shawn Farquhar and Meier Yedid. There was also a nice talk-back segment after the show where Derren fielded questions from the audience.
ed wood
View Profile
Special user
585 Posts

Profile of ed wood
Quote:
On May 4, 2017, mikelsc wrote:
Not particularly a dress code but of course you are going to a theater so I would recommend against casual.

Jamy Ian Swiss wrote a blog about a few shows in NYC. It's a good read and I think some comments are very on point about Derren's performance.

http://www.magicana.com/news/blog/few-nights-magic

Am I alone in thinking of Jamy Ian Swiss as an insufferable bore?
TheDirectionalist
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I will have this many posts when you read this:
879 Posts

Profile of TheDirectionalist
I'll keep this vague - Was anyone else surprised about the bold use of buckets before the show? I thought it was a simple thing of beauty. I was expecting some crazy expensive method but it was just so simple.
UBT (UNDERGROUND BOTTOM TEAR) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Alwow
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
548 Posts

Profile of Alwow
Quote:
On May 5, 2017, TheDirectionalist wrote:
I'll keep this vague - Was anyone else surprised about the bold use of buckets before the show? I thought it was a simple thing of beauty. I was expecting some crazy expensive method but it was just so simple.

Simple answer, why run when you're not being chased...
"Everything I show you is the truth... And the truth is the loveliest of lies"
Fred Berthelot
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
358 Posts

Profile of Fred Berthelot
TheDirectionalist -- I'll say this: Seeing Derren live is something I finally checked off my bucket list! Smile

Yes, janitor-style buckets. Quite bold but unassuming.
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Is the number you're thinking of...
1469 Posts

Profile of elimagic
Quote:
On May 5, 2017, TheDirectionalist wrote:

Agreed. I chuckled to myself as I placed my "contribution" in.

It was a great show and the audience really seemed to enjoy it. I just moved to new york from pennsyvlania and I am still trying to gauge the new audience, but Darren was viewed favorably by the audience I was a member of.
The night I went, I was fortunate enough to be a part of the "talk back" session which lasted about 40 minutes. It was really lovely.

-Eli
strugglingfool
View Profile
New user
New York, NY
14 Posts

Profile of strugglingfool
Saw the show last night- I loved it!

Robb mentioned that it was pure mentalism- no magic- and while there can be a fine line between the two, I'd have to say that part of Act I's climax is most certainly 100% magic (stage illusion) and not mentalism, right? Perhaps the show has changed between then and now, though; he did mention we're still in previews and he's still forming the show.

And yes- the buckets were great. I loved how often he used the most practical method available rather than an elaborate magician fooler.

My date got to take part in the show, and from her silence, I thought maybe she's been around magic too much. But as soon as we left, she kept asking how any of it was possible, and she raved about it to her friends on the way home.

Oh, and yes, I can't believe that Jamy missed the disclaimers. "I am going to lie to you... I'm honest about my dishonesty," etc.
truman
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of truman
Quote:
On May 5, 2017, strugglingfool wrote:
Saw the show last night- I loved it!

Cool! I was there last night, too. It's unbelievable how two and a half hours can fly by so quickly. The range of emotions that he evoked over the course of the show is incredible, and I got the impression that he was genuinely tickled to be amazing us over and over again.
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1104 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Quote:

Oh, and yes, I can't believe that Jamy missed the disclaimers. "I am going to lie to you... I'm honest about my dishonesty," etc.

"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."

--The Boxer
Simon and Garfunkel
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13139 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
On May 5, 2017, Bob Baker wrote:
Quote:

"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."

--The Boxer
Simon and Garfunkel

I was thinking the same thing, but your reference sums it up even better. Smile
NYCJoePitt
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of NYCJoePitt
I have tickets for next Sunday, can't wait! I'm a bit surprised at the lack of publicity about Derren's US premiere. After all, he has been a smash in the UK for years, even winning two Olivier Awards. And Andy Nyman, his creative partner for years, is involved as well. It is an interesting departure for the Atlantic Theatre. I'm hoping successes all around and wondering if it could lead to additional US exposure. Smile
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2458 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Are there any real people going, or just magicians?
Robb
View Profile
Inner circle
1270 Posts

Profile of Robb
I would say about 95% "real people"... it's just the magicians and mentalists are really noisy!
strugglingfool
View Profile
New user
New York, NY
14 Posts

Profile of strugglingfool
The major papers will review opening night, that should generate some buzz, and I'm guessing they might extend the run a couple of weeks "by popular demand" at that time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown NYC Debut This Spring (34 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL