The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown NYC Debut This Spring (34 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2424 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
I recently went to see the show. I really enjoyed it. He's a great showman and storyteller.
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
Demitri
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of Demitri
Quote:
On May 5, 2017, ed wood wrote:
Quote:
On May 4, 2017, mikelsc wrote:
Not particularly a dress code but of course you are going to a theater so I would recommend against casual.

Jamy Ian Swiss wrote a blog about a few shows in NYC. It's a good read and I think some comments are very on point about Derren's performance.

http://www.magicana.com/news/blog/few-nights-magic

Am I alone in thinking of Jamy Ian Swiss as an insufferable bore?

You're not alone, ed wood.
truman
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of truman
"Due to popular demand, Derren Brown: Secret is now playing through June 25!" (From theater website.)
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17337 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On May 9, 2017, Demitri wrote:
Quote:
On May 5, 2017, ed wood wrote:
Quote:
On May 4, 2017, mikelsc wrote:
Not particularly a dress code but of course you are going to a theater so I would recommend against casual.

Jamy Ian Swiss wrote a blog about a few shows in NYC. It's a good read and I think some comments are very on point about Derren's performance.

Am I alone in thinking of Jamy Ian Swiss as an insufferable bore?

You're not alone, ed wood.

ROTFLMAO... Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
NYCJoePitt
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of NYCJoePitt
Spent a wonderful afternoon at the Matinee of SECRET at the Atlantic Theatre. Having been familiar with some of Darren's work from seeing clips on the internet, I had expectations set as to what I might see. Guy Hollingsworth was in the audience and I greeted him at intermission and thanked him for his fabulous ERDNASE show at Magic Live a few years back.
I must admit I wasn't able to completely play layman and I spotted a few methods, but I would also admit this is one of the better, most entertaining 'magic' events I've seen in NYC. Many of the audience were plain a-gag at what was occurring before them. Brown is a powerful performer and has weaved a marvelous show that will no doubt sell out as soon as the reviews have hit the stands on Tuesday. By the end of the afternoon, I got caught up in his excitement and enthusiasm and I did indeed want more. The UK sensation is indeed a success in the US and I hope that this is only his first stop.
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1103 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
For the doubters, here's the review of "Secret" from the chief theater critic of the NY Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/16/theat......ionfront
zachwyman
View Profile
New user
Maryland
51 Posts

Profile of zachwyman
Looking to make the trip up to NYC to see this show. Have been a HUGE fan of DB!
tincture
View Profile
Special user
582 Posts

Profile of tincture
I would love to go see Derren live! I'm drooling at everyone who's had the opportunity to see the show!
Second Sight
View Profile
Regular user
Ireland
128 Posts

Profile of Second Sight
I thought the Jamy Ian Swiss review, for better or for worse, raised some really fascinating questions...
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1822 Posts

Profile of Lior
I think that Jamy doesn't understand mentalism or
mental magic.
As many said before, he is a very good writer.
He is a card magicians that trys to apply
card magic principles to mentalism.
This is not a good approach in my opinion.
His opinions are very good in magic conventions
when you do a 4 ace trick and you use a blue deck
and not a red deck.
I had a very bad experience when I first saw
him in Imams bar in NYC. He was very rude
to me and to my friends and to other magicians.

Lior
Talk To The Screen. The best effect for professionals
http://www.theliortouch.com

The Invisble touches , spoon bending, PK combinations
8 loops from Yigal Mesika http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8161

Penguin Live lecture http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7645
PEA Dave Lederman Award 2009
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Life Time Achivmeant IUPA 2016
Second Sight
View Profile
Regular user
Ireland
128 Posts

Profile of Second Sight
Quote:
On May 20, 2017, Lior wrote:
I think that Jamy doesn't understand mentalism or
mental magic.

Nevertheless, in this review he compares and contrasts Brown and DelGaudio in a very interesting way. He's getting at the heart of authenticity and depth in performance and weighing it against polish and surface. It's really a thoughtful observation, and pretty important with regards to the mental magic / mentalism debate. Brown and DelGaudio are both masters with different styles. No one's challenging that. So, it makes for a thoughtful piece.

Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1822 Posts

Profile of Lior
I always prefer to listen to my audience, to my clients
to directors and to very few mentalists.
I never listen to magicians.
Talk To The Screen. The best effect for professionals
http://www.theliortouch.com

The Invisble touches , spoon bending, PK combinations
8 loops from Yigal Mesika http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8161

Penguin Live lecture http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7645
PEA Dave Lederman Award 2009
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Life Time Achivmeant IUPA 2016
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9308 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
So true!
qichi
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA
123 Posts

Profile of qichi
Felt like Derren was revisiting the essence of his Tricks of the Mind era stuff, live, and without the help of any clever editing. Gutsy. All the ways he pulls taught and then releases tension in the theatre, quite the ride. Pace and flow were both ace.

Remarkably attractive audience too.

Pinball and a beer down the way at Pioneers Bar after was the move. Ommegang Witte and Pirates of the Caribbean if you must know.

Really do hope Mr. Brown gets proper traction and finds his place amidst American culture in some significant way. Dude was massively impactful upon my life, and there's no doubt in my mind others would be better off for the exposure to his work. SECRET is a great place for anyone to start. Definitely rooting for DB. Make it happen man.
"There is no art: things are made for use." Antonin Artaud
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10336 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Saw Derren's Secrets show this last Sunday. Flew out from Phoenix just to experience this intimate show with our art's leading trailblazer and innovator.

Without going into details, the 2.5 hour show exceeded all expectations. To see Derren up close in a 200 seat theater was a once in a lifetime bucket list event.

So intimate.

The maestro tied together many of his best symphonies in an escalating crescendo of entertainment that will have you thinking long past the final curtain call.

This is a greatest hits show, but with new surprises too.

Kudos to Collabortors Andy Nyman and the rest of his talented crew.

The show was devoid of extraneous fluff - it concentrated on the human and the individual shadings of the performer and participants.

I recommend that any serious performer try to grab a seat to this wonderful production.

A master class and master piece.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1040 Posts

Profile of sbays
I am literally going to be doing the same thing Brett. Flying out from LA, see the show and turn around and fly back. I can't think of many performers I would do that for. It's going to be a very quick and tiring trip. But I am sure it will be worth it.
"Opportunity may only knock once, but temptation leans on the doorbell."
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10336 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On May 23, 2017, sbays wrote:
I am literally going to be doing the same thing Brett. Flying out from LA, see the show and turn around and fly back. I can't think of many performers I would do that for. It's going to be a very quick and tiring trip. But I am sure it will be worth it.

You are going to have quite an unforgettable evening Scott. Grab a bite at the nearby Chelsea Market perhaps.

P.S.
Get there early (45 min) to catch the little nuances.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1040 Posts

Profile of sbays
Quote:
On May 23, 2017, saysold1 wrote:
Quote:
On May 23, 2017, sbays wrote:

You are going to have quite an unforgettable evening Scott. Grab a bite at the nearby Chelsea Market perhaps.

P.S.
Get there early (45 min) to catch the little nuances.

Thanks Brett. I am confirmed. Got the tickets. Looking forward top it!
"Opportunity may only knock once, but temptation leans on the doorbell."
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Elite user
SLC, Utah
457 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Sbays and Brett you've inspired me! I just booked flights from SLC, Utah to NYC for June 10th - and to make the most of it I'll be attending the matinee and the evening show.

I saw Svengali back in 2012 in London and thought that would be the only opportunity I'd likely have to see him live - SUPER EXCITED!

Best,

Drew
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

Coming Soon: OMNI-TEST (Limited Release)
For pre-release details go to:
www.mindofandrews.com/omni-test

ARCHITECT OF THE MIND
For more information and to download a free preview visit the link below:
www.mindofandrews.com/colleagues

PENGUIN LIVE ACT: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/11689
AlexanderG
View Profile
Veteran user
You are now thinking of my
332 Posts

Profile of AlexanderG
I saw DB's show on May 20, the matinee. It was exhilarating. He is a masterful showman, filled with charm and energy. Clearly much of the audience thought so as well, for he received two standing ovations. I believe that, as to be expected, the audience was mixed: I knew some very knowledgeable and famous magicians there, and there were plenty of lay folks as well. It was a memorable show and I am very glad to have experienced it.

With time and the inevitable ebb of adrenaline, I have developed second thoughts. I will briefly describe them. There will be no spoilers in what follows. But if you want to see the show with completely fresh eyes, read no further.

So, upon reflection, here are the things that did not agree with me:

- The effect that leads to the marvelous painting scene seemed problematic to me. For I simply could not recall what the selection procedure was for the famous names. I asked a fellow magician at intermission and he also confessed it went by him. Perhaps we both missed it. But absent a clear and seemingly fair selection procedure from audience-supplied names, the effect seems less mysterious.

- DB's version of Koran's Medallion: sappy.

- The Oracle act. I was with some lay people and while they enjoyed the performance, they wondered why the method wasn't transparent: they immediately asked, weren't the envelopes collected by stagehands prior to the performance, etc.?

- And finally, the finale. Part of the finale involved a confabulation-type prediction. They seem to be all the rage: many mentalist shows I've recently seen have ended with them. An envelope or box that's been apparently in plain view all evening is now opened and shown to contain a detailed (to the point of numbing) prediction of everything that has happened in the show. In my view, that is an example of the too-perfect effect. (And perhaps the Koran Medallion also falls here.) Many of the things DB did I'm sure left the audience wondering how he did them, oscillating uncertainly between imputing strange powers to him and suspecting shenanigans. The too-perfect effect does not elicit that response of uncertainty. Everyone knows with certainty that this is the product of a trick and their minds immediately switch into problem-solving mode. They might not know how the trick was effected but they know it was a trick - we are in the realm of magic, not mentalism.

The other parts of the finale involved a chair test of sorts, endless matchings, impossible coincidences, ... In fact, that was the problem: there was so much going on it was a blur. I venture to say that most people would not be able to narrate the events of the finale some time after the show - and I don't mean what really happened, but what they were supposed to think was happening. Vernon said confusion is not magic. Well, I will add that confusion is not mentalism. The layering of effects and matches was so thick and rapid in the over-the-top finale that indeed it made one giddy. But it was a giddiness born from an exciting muddle.

Again, I enjoyed the show enormously and DB has my great respect, of which these thoughts are a small manifestation.

Alexander
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown NYC Debut This Spring (34 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL