The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown NYC Debut This Spring (34 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2649 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Quote:
On May 29, 2017, AlexanderG wrote:
Again, I enjoyed the show enormously and DB has my great respect, of which these thoughts are a small manifestation.

Did you miss the part where he asks audience members to keep details of the show a secret?

I liked when he made the elephant disappear. Smile
minty
View Profile
Elite user
Rugby, Warwickshire
420 Posts

Profile of minty
Dear AlexanderG, I respect your opinions but, having seen the show twice, I find myself disagreeing with you on just about every single point.

I did, however, miss Annette, and wonder if her inclusion might have made you feel better about one of the effects.
SilasJude
View Profile
New user
Buffalo
97 Posts

Profile of SilasJude
Minty, I agree with you there. I'm still tied up in how any "business" was done, but I would have loved to have seen Annette for the gag itself.

The show was stellar the night I went, my friend was hypnotized by Derren, and it was a bit surreal to be in the middle of the action I've watched videos of over and over again.

I believe having seen all of the material before made the show so much more valuable to me as a performer. I was able to shed the initial awe at what was being done and appreciate the forest for the trees.
Fred Berthelot
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
357 Posts

Profile of Fred Berthelot
I agree with Mind Guerilla, we're getting very close to divulging secrets when talking about specific animals. However, I also agree with minty and Silas that Annette would have been a good addition to the menagerie.

I've seen SECRET twice. The first time I watched it as a layman and was thoroughly entertained and fooled by a few bits. The second time I analyzed it as a mentalist, and kept thinking "That's brilliant!" The choreography behind it all is mind-blowing.
qichi
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA
123 Posts

Profile of qichi
Derren's very Sherlock (BBC)
I figure a lot of the US came up more akin to The Wire (HBO)

and there I am debating contemplating Idris Elba's Luther (BBC) as a possible way to bridge the cultural divide in my mind
when it dawns on me that the penultimate climax is a series of predictions revolving around barnyard animals, ugh
so I get lost and have to start again

Lie To Me...
"There is no art: things are made for use." Antonin Artaud
tjackson8685
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of tjackson8685
I just say a piece in the NY Times saying Secret is returning in September - I think a weekend in NYC is in order this fall
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4704 Posts

Profile of landmark
Thanks, tjackson8685. Here's a link to that article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/13/theat......way.html

I think it's an interesting development. When I saw his show at the 200-seat Atlantic Theater, in 2017, I thought he was very good, but also that he had misjudged the size of the theater. It was a small space and his energy and performance seemed too big for it. Jamy Ian Swiss wrote about Derren seeming a bit inauthentic compared to Derek DelGaudio who performed in a similar sized space, and I felt the same way. Somehow Derren's energy was going past the audience, and I kept thinking to myself that he is performing as if he were on a Broadway stage.

So I think he's going to do great on Broadway. Those theaters are the kinds of large theaters where Derren's kind of energy really shines. I think he's going to be even more successful this time around. Really looking forward to this.
ed wood
View Profile
Special user
585 Posts

Profile of ed wood
Quote:
On Jun 17, 2019, landmark wrote:
Thanks, tjackson8685. Here's a link to that article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/13/theat......way.html

I think it's an interesting development. When I saw his show at the 200-seat Atlantic Theater, in 2017, I thought he was very good, but also that he had misjudged the size of the theater. It was a small space and his energy and performance seemed too big for it. Jamy Ian Swiss wrote about Derren seeming a bit inauthentic compared to Derek DelGaudio who performed in a similar sized space, and I felt the same way. Somehow Derren's energy was going past the audience, and I kept thinking to myself that he is performing as if he were on a Broadway stage.

So I think he's going to do great on Broadway. Those theaters are the kinds of large theaters where Derren's kind of energy really shines. I think he's going to be even more successful this time around. Really looking forward to this.

You'd struggle to find a single mentalist who gives a toss about anything Jamy Ian Swiss has to say.
If Swiss was half as good at performing as he is at telling everyone else how magic should be performed he'd be more famous than Houdini. As it is no one outside of the world of magic has ever heard of him or care about his card tricks.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4704 Posts

Profile of landmark
Sometimes I agree with Swiss, more often I don't; but I saw both Derren's and Del Gaudio's shows, and I had thought exactly the same thing in terms of authenticity as Swiss before I read his review.

I don't think it's because Brown isn't a stellar performer; he is my favorite mentalist. But I think he misjudged the intimacy of the venue, and for me it affected the way I experienced the show.
jiggyjer
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of jiggyjer
I was fortunate enough to be in NYC to see him at the Atlantic and even more fortunate to have my 1st edition of Pure Effect signed. If you have the opportunity to go all I can say is that it's a masterclass. Also its one of the few magic shows on the planet you can take your significant other to without them being bored out of their minds! Go if you can.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown NYC Debut This Spring (34 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL