The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Paul Osbourne Illusions (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10~11~12 [Next]
carlosbosco
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of carlosbosco
Has anyone built Ark of Tibet? I am in the process of doing so right now and am wondering what colors to use . If anyone has could you please post photos. I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks for your help
cardfreakhk
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong SAR
585 Posts

Profile of cardfreakhk
I can see the illusion work video tapes 1-4 are selling at http://www.osborneillusionsystems.com
Do they have DVDs come out after all these years?
Don't just dream, stay awake and action!
Laszlo Csizmadi
View Profile
Special user
From Hell
869 Posts

Profile of Laszlo Csizmadi
Quote:
On 2008-11-27 13:12, cardfreakhk wrote:
I can see the illusion work video tapes 1-4 are selling at http://www.osborneillusionsystems.com
Do they have DVDs come out after all these years?

You can buy them on ebay sometimes but if you need quickly then buy here:

http://www.misdirections.com/illusion.html

Pull down a bit on the side.

Best,

Las
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1396 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
There are few if any plans out there that are 100% correct.. and spot on on 100% of the measurements even if they are correct in everything else.

Illusion building is 80% technical.. and 20% art... and another 5% just tinkering in most cases.

The majority of Paul's Plans are wonderful. He's owned nearly all of the props at one time or another and many of his plans are measured right off the prop in his warehouse.

What I wish is that someone would come out with a "Tips and Tricks" book.. that lists some of the unusual hardware (especially a source for the lazy susan for the twister head box).. and a source for things like rollers, worm drives for levitations, sliders for the zig zag.. and some of the unusual things that people have figured out.. but most people haven't.
Magic Kevin
View Profile
New user
Maryland - United States
77 Posts

Profile of Magic Kevin
I agree with makeupguy. I wish someone would come out with a Tips and Tricks book as well. Also, a video where someone literally shows you the WHOLE process of building an illusion included with the plans would be helpful for a beginner. I know, it would be long but some things like waiting for paint to dry would be removed but they would display a short screen saying "wait 3 hours." I know most of you will say that we should be original when building our illusions so that we all don't have the same exact things, but for the beginner it would be very helpful.
Kevin Smile
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
MagicKAmazinG- there's the Dennis Loomis Doll House DVD which goes fairly in depth. I've got it, and recommend it. And one of these days, I'm even going to build the illusion...

The problem with providing exact measurements on plans is that illusions should pretty much be built around the assistant, and most assistants have different measurements. A frequently recommended piece of advice is to build a mock-up from cardboard to adjust the measurements before building the final illusion.

-Erik
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Magic Kevin
View Profile
New user
Maryland - United States
77 Posts

Profile of Magic Kevin
Right, I understand that each assistant is different, but a DVD showing everything from square one, planning, getting materials, cutting the wood, routing, drilling, painting, finishing, and more would still be helpful. I think you get the point. It is just that I would rather have too much information than too little. A even mock-up building segment should be included as well. When you say the Dennis Loomis Doll House DVD goes fairly in-depth, what exactly do you mean. I actually was thinking of building a subtrunk, but how easy is a doll house to make compared to a subtrunk. Obviously, if you really want the doll house look the painting is going to be very in depth. Does Loomis show all the steps to it and really show you how to construct it, finish it, and everything? Even, if I don't construct the doll house, I think though it still might help me better understand some building techniques.

I have the Illusion Systems from Paul Osbourne and it is very helpful, except I wish the plans were more detailed. Do you suggest the Rand Woodbury illusionworks volumes? Also, I have worked with wood before and know how to use the tools, but I am not so sure how practical it would be to just as a first project, build a subtrunk or another illusion. Maybe everyone should try to compile a list of some beginner projects progressively working towards a bigger illusion. What do you think about the "Seed Money Box" in the illusion system 1 book? Would that be good to try out? Wow this is getting a bit long and overwhelming, better stop here. Smile
Kevin Smile
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1396 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
If you can find them.. get the rand woodbury books AND DVD's.

In order to put out a DVD with a "start to finish" complete illusion.. you'd have to almost teach all the basic woodworking to go with it.. let alone design philosophy, exterior decorating.. and lord knows what else. I can imagine that a single DVD, taught by someone who's as thorough as I am.. would be about 30 volumes long.

If you're not experienced enough a performer AND wood/metal worker to build a basic illusion.. you should probably buy one or two built by a decent builder.. that alone can teach you LOADS and LOADS.

I was lucky. I worked for Paul Osborne for 3 years.. and in the process worked with about 20 major illusions by virtually every builder in the biz. Martin Eldrige (who used to build some of the best stuff in the biz.. but is out of business), David Mendoza (who's attention to the detail and the durability of his illusion is legendary), to Paul Himself, (also built to LAST and LAST).. to Chalet and more.

All of them had pro's and cons. I wasn't afraid to sometimes make SIGNICANT changes to the illusions to make them more practical for me.. or to make them easier to perform 3 to 11 shows a day.. six to seven days a week.

in the meantime.. the Dennis Loomis Dollhouse plans are pretty amazing..
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Thanks, makeupguy. For those that would like to read more about my Doll House DVD, here's the link:
https://loomismagic.com/item18251.htm

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Magic Kevin
View Profile
New user
Maryland - United States
77 Posts

Profile of Magic Kevin
Quote:
On 2009-01-12 19:37, makeupguy wrote:
If you can find them.. get the rand woodbury books AND DVD's.

In order to put out a DVD with a "start to finish" complete illusion.. you'd have to almost teach all the basic woodworking to go with it.. let alone design philosophy, exterior decorating.. and lord knows what else. I can imagine that a single DVD, taught by someone who's as thorough as I am.. would be about 30 volumes long.

If you're not experienced enough a performer AND wood/metal worker to build a basic illusion.. you should probably buy one or two built by a decent builder.. that alone can teach you LOADS and LOADS.

I was lucky. I worked for Paul Osborne for 3 years.. and in the process worked with about 20 major illusions by virtually every builder in the biz. Martin Eldrige (who used to build some of the best stuff in the biz.. but is out of business), David Mendoza (who's attention to the detail and the durability of his illusion is legendary), to Paul Himself, (also built to LAST and LAST).. to Chalet and more.

All of them had pro's and cons. I wasn't afraid to sometimes make SIGNICANT changes to the illusions to make them more practical for me.. or to make them easier to perform 3 to 11 shows a day.. six to seven days a week.

in the meantime.. the Dennis Loomis Dollhouse plans are pretty amazing..

Thanks for your reply! So, if I really want to get started I should buy the Woodbury books and DVD's. Do you think the DVD's alone are a good start, because the books I think are a bit more? I guess I understand why someone can't really make a complete guide to building illusions, but it sure would be helpful. Do you have any really good woodworking or even exterior design books you would recommend? I definitly have no experience with metal working, but I do have some experience with woodworking, which gets to my other question. Is there some smaller illusion that would be a good first illusion for anyone like me? Preferably something that only uses wood (and obviously a finish of some sort.) For someone like me who is still in high school, but very interested in stage illusion it is a bit hard to buy illusions from well known builders. I small close-up or even stage trick is not too much of a problem, but a whole illusion is just a little expensive for a student like me. Even if I did get an illusion I would learn a lot about its structure and its obvious construction techniques, but I wouldn't know how they did the finishing touches and very inner details.
Kevin Smile
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1396 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
Here's my suggestion..

Build someting that has a beginning midddle and end..

That is.. Not a vanish or an appearance..

One of my first illusions was a crystal casket.. and once I made my assistant appear.. my next trick was.. the square circle or the tricky bottles?

I had a lot to learn.. fortunately.. I did. Mostly from working for Paul.. who to this day I think is an occasional genius.
chefmagic
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of chefmagic
Where can I purchase the plans to build Jim Steinmeyer's " hospitality illusion ? I have the summer off and would love to try and build before the winter.
Thanks in advane for the help.
Mike

Magic Legacy - Low prices on great magic!
www.magiclegacy.net
AlexBorsci
View Profile
New user
Italy!
34 Posts

Profile of AlexBorsci
Quote:
On 2009-04-12 17:37, chefmagic wrote:
Where can I purchase the plans to build Jim Steinmeyer's " hospitality illusion ? I have the summer off and would love to try and build before the winter.
Thanks in advane for the help.

You can find the plan in Modern Art and Other Misteryes... by Jim Steinmeyer
magicmonk
View Profile
New user
Donald Monk
23 Posts

Profile of magicmonk
Reading through the posts the one question that I would like an answer on was from Engine (!) in October '08. Unfortunately nobody gave him an answer. Can anybody tell me if there is anything different with Creative Magic's version of Bryce's Screen over Paul Osborne's version?
Have a Chuckle,- and get a Free Magic Tutorial at http://www.MagicMonkSolutions.com
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1166 Posts

Profile of magic4545
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=7

Huge improvements, simplification, justifications for actions, conceptually.

JF
DN777
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of DN777
If you can get a hold of the originals there are some real gems in there!
MrPrestoHypno
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of MrPrestoHypno
I have always found that the plans in any of the books general lack "detail" information. One should have at least basic blueprint reading, and general wood working skills. I have built Modern Art and after building it could make several suggestions and improvements if I had to build another one. I would suggest making a cardboard (corrugated is the correct term) model first and use this as your template and guide for your final product. Good Luck!
Rick
jsmithii68
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of jsmithii68
Can anyone tell me if Paul Osborne's dinner for two is a one man illusion I mean can one person pull it off alone? or is this a production that takes two or more people? I'm interested in buying illusion book 2 which has this illusion but don't want to spend the money unless its something I can pull off myself.
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
744 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
Does anyone know why this thread is always on the top? It never moves...
Just thought I'd ask.
Taylor
www.taylorreed.com
www.usedmagicillusions.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
See: The Magic and Comedy of Taylor Reed, Live in Branson, Mo
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1221 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
They made it a "Sticky" topic. I think the stick topics always stay at the top of the pages. There are some other forum topics that have these as well.

Scott
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Paul Osbourne Illusions (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10~11~12 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL