The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is Facebook Killing Internet Forums? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So you are claiming the Luddites were left behind?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
So if I don't have a smartphone I don't get to take part in the rapture?

We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yes sir you are out!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15957 Posts

Profile of tommy
Yes without a smartphone you are out to some degree but you may still have a radio, which will suck you back into the new age cult just when you think you are out.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2017, RobertSmith wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2017, Salguod Nairb wrote:
I don't own a smartphone either.

Facebook security is only as strong as your friend list, unless you block everything.

My point is that in order for us to 'talk' we need not to share what we ate yesterday, or that we commented on an unrelated friends post, or say... post emoticons for a response;which Facebook calls moods for some reason or the other.

Okay.

We're in one of the biggest shifts in communication in human history.

There were people who refused to get a radio and refused to get a TV and now refuse a smartphone. They all got left behind.

You do you.

I know a couple of people who don't own a TV set. They're both pretty "ahead."
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15957 Posts

Profile of tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2017, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Facebook security is only as strong as your friend list, unless you block everything.

My point is that in order for us to 'talk' we need not to share what we ate yesterday, or that we commented on an unrelated friends post, or say... post emoticons for a response;which Facebook calls moods for some reason or the other.

Okay.

There were people who refused to get a radio and refused to get a TV and now refuse a smartphone. They all got left behind.

You do you.

One might argue that not owning a TV is better for your mind.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15957 Posts

Profile of tommy
Obviously.

Tommy
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Okay.

You do you.

TV is becoming irrelevant.

But by all means, add a pithy comment and disregard what I've said because you have 2 friends that don't have a television.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
One pithy comment deserves another. Choosing to not avail oneself of an entertainment medium is hardly being "left behind."

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15957 Posts

Profile of tommy
Real men don’t have smartphones.

Tommy
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
One pithy comment deserves another. Choosing to not avail oneself of an entertainment medium is hardly being "left behind."

Entertainment medium?

You're not understanding this conversation, are you?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15957 Posts

Profile of tommy
We're in one of the biggest shifts to entertainment in human history. The New Agers are using their smartphones for entertainment purposes, spending their time on them playing games, watching streamed content, listening to music or surfing the Web for nonsense and communicating it to each other.

The New Agers have been programmed into believing that nothing is real, everything's an illusion and therefore, then, they are not concerned with reality. Entertainment, virtual reality, fiction and the like is that which concerns them.

Every minute the New Agers spend on entertainment is a minute wasted and the more time they waste the more they fall behind. They get no knowledge from doing no work and they should be studying their game and putting it into practice.

Girls just want to have fun.

Tommy
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2017, RobertSmith wrote:
Quote:

Entertainment medium?

You're not understanding this conversation, are you?

If I'm mischaracterizing 20th century television by referring to it as an entertainment medium, by all means, please educate me.

Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2017, RobertSmith wrote:

TV is becoming irrelevant.

But by all means, add a pithy comment and disregard what I've said because you have 2 friends that don't have a television.

Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2017, tommy wrote:
We're in one of the biggest shifts to entertainment in human history. The New Agers are using their smartphones for entertainment purposes, spending their time on them playing games, watching streamed content, listening to music or surfing the Web for nonsense and communicating it to each other.

The New Agers have been programmed into believing that nothing is real, everything's an illusion and therefore, then, they are not concerned with reality. Entertainment, virtual reality, fiction and the like is that which concerns them.

Every minute the New Agers spend on entertainment is a minute wasted and the more time they waste the more they fall behind. They get no knowledge from doing no work and they should be studying their game and putting it into practice...

Exactly, why does an 8 year old need a smartphone...?

RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2017, Salguod Nairb wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2017, tommy wrote:

Every minute the New Agers spend on entertainment is a minute wasted and the more time they waste the more they fall behind. They get no knowledge from doing no work and they should be studying their game and putting it into practice...

Exactly, why does an 8 year old need a smartphone...?

You don't want a serious answer to this. You ask it because your truth is being romantic about how things were 15, 20, 30 years ago. You're resistant to how things are now. That's fine. You've got to do you. But remember this whole post started as a question of whether, "Facebook killed internet forums."

No. Facebook did not kill internet forums. Facebook IS the internet forum.

All that matters is where the attention is. Our society is experiencing the biggest communications shift in history. The reason I question others on use of the word "entertainment," is because they're suggesting that a smartphone's purpose is an entertainment medium.

It's not an entertainment medium. It's a time medium.

Can you have entertainment on the smartphones? Of course! BUT...Netflix, HBOGo, Tivo, DVR etc...these technologies aren't relevant because they're entertainment mediums. These technologies are relevant because they are TIME mediums.

Businesses that have figured that out are exploding.

But listen, during every communication shift at scale in human history, there were those who were romantic about how it was. That's fine. Do you.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2017, RobertSmith wrote:
The reason I question others on use of the word "entertainment," is because they're suggesting that a smartphone's purpose is an entertainment medium.

That wasn't the suggestion. My comment was strictly limited to the use of the television set as an analogy; if I viewed a smartphone's purpose as that of an entertainment medium, I would have found it to be an appropriate one.

Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2017, RobertSmith wrote:

No. Facebook did not kill internet forums. Facebook IS the internet forum.
But listen, during every communication shift at scale in human history, there were those who were romantic about how it was. That's fine. Do you.

Facebook IS the internet forum? A forum where you can unfollow things that annoy, bathe in a support group of friends who in turn expect you to like them back, and is as stimulating as a sock full of mash potatoes.

The only stimulation you feel on Facebook is from those blowing smoke up your backside. You can be a blob and Facebook will offer you an application that will tell you that you best resemble 3 famous actors/superheroes/fantasy characters... and they gobble it up and share.

Forums such as this may have it share of trolls, or posers that hide behind fake personas but it does provide (in most parts) a level playing field.

Facebook is a place where people come together in electric dreams.

Oh, I always do me.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15957 Posts

Profile of tommy
Police forces here are always warning children to stay well away from Facebook and saying that they are being overwhelmed by complaints about threats and bullying on Facebook.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is Facebook Killing Internet Forums? (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL