The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is Facebook Killing Internet Forums? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2017, tommy wrote:
Police forces here are always warning children to stay well away from Facebook and saying that they are being overwhelmed by complaints about threats and bullying on Facebook.

That is because kids will accept a friend request from anyone. To them "Friends" numbers represent popularity and therefore to be hoarded.

We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Why philosophize, when it’s only the action that really matters.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2017, Salguod Nairb wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2017, RobertSmith wrote:

No. Facebook did not kill internet forums. Facebook IS the internet forum.
But listen, during every communication shift at scale in human history, there were those who were romantic about how it was. That's fine. Do you.

Facebook IS the internet forum? A forum where you can unfollow things that annoy, bathe in a support group of friends who in turn expect you to like them back, and is as stimulating as a sock full of mash potatoes.

The only stimulation you feel on Facebook is from those blowing smoke up your backside. You can be a blob and Facebook will offer you an application that will tell you that you best resemble 3 famous actors/superheroes/fantasy characters... and they gobble it up and share.

Forums such as this may have it share of trolls, or posers that hide behind fake personas but it does provide (in most parts) a level playing field.

Facebook is a place where people come together in electric dreams.

Oh, I always do me.

Sounds like a once busy magic forum I used to know.
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2017, tommy wrote:
Police forces here are always warning children to stay well away from Facebook and saying that they are being overwhelmed by complaints about threats and bullying on Facebook.

The differnce in bullying over the last 10-15 years is simply the venue.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
No action is taken against cyber bullies as such because it has become the new normal. It has to be something really serious for action to be taken. Now we even see leaders sending nasty little messages out like children.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
The problem today is if you prove someone wrong then you are a bully...
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2017, RobertSmith wrote:
These technologies are relevant because they are TIME mediums.

WOW! Gotta wrap my head around that!

Because, like, it wasn't in any of the old books I read, back in the day. So thanks!!!!!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2017, Salguod Nairb wrote:
The problem today is if you prove someone wrong then you are a bully...

Telling the truth also now qualifies as bullying.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I'm so glad I'm not on Facebook.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I have 2 accounts. One for me, and the other for me. I like talking/arguing with you guys but I don't need to know every aspect of your life. I have friends that are fascinated with Star Trek, Political Regurgitators, and of course the look at what I'm eating crowd. I need not look through your proverbial sock drawer to discuss or debate an issue.

I have been using the unfollow and hide this post quite a bit these days.

I do like that I was able to find some old friends that had dropped off the radar; and to check out old girlfriends to see if I dodged a bullet, but it seems like facebook is getting more and more evasive each day.

A lot of employers are checking out candidates facebook pages as part of the hiring process these days, and some of the posts I see I couldn't imagine these folks getting hired for a job or a gig.

Oh, and like this post if you know someone who had/has cancer, quote this post if you remember lightbulbs, and ignore if you love ISIS.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is Facebook Killing Internet Forums? (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL