The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Caring for an ID (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

NWJay
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of NWJay
I've recently bought my first ID and have a problem with it. It took a little while to get right the appropriate amount of pressure to be exerted as at first I found the cards were very difficult to separate. But now I have the opposite problem: moving through the deck a lot of the pairs are not staying aligned, either jutting out a little or, in a couple of cases, just coming right out, even when I'm exerting what seems like ample pressure. Feeling the backs of these cards they feel a lot "less" (trying not to be too specific!) than some of the others that are still behaving,

I haven't had the deck for long: is this sort of thing normal? Does YKW wear away that quickly, am I just not handling them properly or have I simply got a dud deck? And if the first of these options is possible how I can avoid that happening again? As it's my first and I'm still fairly new to working with the technique I'm a bit at a loss. Any help gratefully received!
George 
View Profile
Regular user
New York
133 Posts

Profile of George 
It sounds to me like it is wearing away. If you take the pair apart and run your finger over the back, does it feel like it's still uniformly applied? I don't think it should be wearing off, perhaps it is a dud.

Are the cards developing a bow at all? If the backs aren't contacting, maybe that's lessening the ability of the pairs to stick together? I know sometimes new decks can get weird curves/bows when exposed to the humidity.

There are some threads on here which mention a couple of products available in stores near you. I'd pick myself up a spray can of one of them and try touching up the deck. You can apply as little or as much as you'd like depending on your preference of how you want it to handle.

Let us know how it goes!
NWJay
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of NWJay
Of the pairs that aren't cohering properly almost all of them have one card which feels significantly *more* than the other. The only thing I can think of is that I hadn't touched the deck for a week or so and it was reasonably close to a source of heat, I don't know if that's something that can affect them? There's no bow to the cards, I do think it's just that disparity of the backing that's causing the slippage, but I don't know why that seems to have changed since I bought it.

I will hunt out one of the treatments you can get and try and salvage the deck. Many thanks for your help, much appreciated!
Oldfalguy
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Oldfalguy
Maybe there should be a how to video on adding/replacing the friction dust.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Caring for an ID (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL