We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Spectators making impossible demands (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
evikshin
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of evikshin
CountryMaven: What type of mentalism do you do, strolling or formal presentations? Cool stuff. after digesting all the responses, I would have to the conclusion that sometimes, these impossible demands is sort of Fate's way of making us improve as magicians. During a performance, if I can't match what they say, I will divert/evade with another effect, and this works well. Meanwhile, I will take into consideration what they said and during practice sessions, see if I can approximate the demand--sometimes it makes for a better trick.

Case in point: once I was performing with 4 silver coins with different dates. After doing coins across and ending with the coin in his hand, he asked if he could memorize the date on one of the coins, and then have just that one appear in his empty hand! That inspired me to come up with an effect that sort of does that. 4 coins with different dates are laid out, spectator picks one, he is asked to memorize the date. The one he picks then magically appears in his pocket, or under his watch, etc. The point is, an impossible demand led me to think deeper about the concept of "choice" when selecting a coin. Further more, this initial choosing of the coin helps eliminate a possible explanation--that the coin that appears is not the same one as the one that vanished.

--of course Mickey Silver will probably call me "lazy" for not figuring out a way to make the selected coin appear inside a spectator's empty hand =)

E
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4860 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
You know As you get Older In Magic And have had More Face time You will get Less And Lass Of That !!! the 1 St 10-15 Or so I was In Magic I had People saying All Kinds Of Things! I have Been In magic 45 Years Now. And For The Last 30-35 Years Or So It Ia vary rare That I get Some one That says Something! It maybe The way you Hold Yourself, And Always Look Like you know what your doing! It Is Just Something Born Of Doing It For Years!!!! AND NEVER Admit Something Went Wrong!!! Just keep going !!! I used to say Sorry I don't Request !!! Or all Request Must be put In Writing On A $ 20.00 Bill!!! Smile I don't Know What it Is But they Look at Me And Look At My Mostly White hair And Think He Must Know What he is Doing! I have also said Yea Right If I could That I would Not be Working Here!!! Smile And Go on!!!
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1033 Posts

Profile of Ado
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2017, evikshin wrote:
What impossible demands do you get from your spectators, and what did you do to manage the situation and not let it get out of hand?

You could've answered
"Sorry, they didn't pay me enough tonight to perform this one"
"All my previous customers found me great, but I'll settle with you finding me just good."
"That would be great for me, but I don't want people to remember how badly you were fooled"

Me from today would have done what you did: ignore and move on.

Me from the future would do something like Apollo Robin's coin on shoulder routine. The pickpocketing part is not necessary, but that could be a good ending!

P!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Spectators making impossible demands (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL