The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » SERIAL THRILLER by Sudo Nimh (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jeff Wassom
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of Jeff Wassom
Ad copy:

"Taking a journey into their subconscious mind, a spectator is able to divine the serial number of any dollar bill!

“Serial Thriller” is an absolutely devastating effect that has fooled some of the sharpest Magicians and Mentalists on the planet. Like many of my routines, it is based on a very old idea that has been given new life by giving it a framework that both hides the hides the method and gives it meaning. With this framework, a spectator can divine winning lotto numbers, phone numbers, PIN codes, Social Security numbers – you name it! The climax is way out of proportion to the simple and deceptive method being employed.

Another strength of this method is that the performer is completely “hands-off” and the spectators REALLY DO have an absolutely free choice of which numbers they want to use and how they arrange them. They will be truly amazed when they reach the the thrilling climax and you have apparently done nothing! The framework behind “Serial Thrillers” unlocks infinite possibilities for you to play and shape your own routines with – or simply use the excellent routine with full performance script provided.

Become a SERIAL THRILLER today!"

Bought this thinking it was a method for performer to divine serial number, not spectator. Need to read ad copy closer! lol

Still quite happy with this. Very simple method, but the value is in how natural, everday premise covers the method via a devious combination of scripting and timing.

Requires a tiny bit of set up, but the advantage is the spectator does most of the work, and likely to remember as completely hands off.

If deciding to purchase, remember you're paying for premise and scripting. Buyers looking for a latest and greatest method, will likely be put off by the simplicity. I'm thinking this is strong enough to close a set with, or stand alone in casual setting, so keep that in mind. Effect is everything here.

All in all, would say this a no-brainer if you're into spectator divines numbers plot.

Purchased independently, for full price on Sudo's web site: http://curiousmiracles.com/product/serial-thriller/
Yogi2x4
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of Yogi2x4
I've performed this a few times now. Another winner in my book. Got a great reaction from my roommate! I'll keep testing it this week.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11565 Posts

Profile of John C
What a load of .... wonderful thinking again from Mr. Nimh!!

You just can't go wrong with Sudo's effects. This one is not to be left out.

I haven't seen anything like it for Serial Divination. Of course I am not a magic history buff.

Pretty much could be done impromptu, if you have the ability to talk to your specs while fidgeting with cards. Pretty easy for most competent magi.

You want to give the power to the spec ... well, here's one for ya!

I just about immediately purchase everything Sudo puts out.

J
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Elite user
SLC, Utah
478 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
I picked this up a few days ago along with Sudo's "The Hidden Hand".

To be honest, I was a bit let down by "Serial Thriller" - not because the structure, premise, or AFFECT are weak; rather, my less than enthusiastic feelings rest solely on the fact that the ad mentions nothing about the use of playing cards to arrive at the serial number.

For my personal aesthetic of "mind reading" I tend to stay clear of playing cards (except, possibly, for memory demonstrations or other times when the use of cards seem natural as in poker themed influence routines etc.) in my professional work...so this one didn't really do it for me. Using cards to get to the serial number on a bill feels a bit contrived IMHO.

If you use playing cards regularly in your set than this is a nice bit of thinking. It may be helpful for future purchasers to mention one of Sudo's main inspirations for this routine - "Bat Fishing" by Paul Harris in his Art of Astonishment series - to get an idea of the overall procedure in play here. The two routines are quite different in terms of presentation and Sudo's handling is MUCH cleaner than Paul's - but both routines would be perceived almost identically from a participants point of view.

I'm a big fan of most of Sudo's releases - but as I said, this one in particular doesn't suit ME (but its no doubt great for some).

I might give this a go for casual performances, between card games with friends or family.

Best,

Drew
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

Now Available: OMNI-TEST (Limited Release)
www.mindofandrews.com/omni-test

ARCHITECT OF THE MIND
For more information and to download a free preview visit the link below:
www.mindofandrews.com/colleagues

PENGUIN LIVE ACT: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/11689
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1436 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Hi guys.

Just wanted to say "thanks" for the comments and to Jeff who posted this thread.

@Drew: Sorry that you felt disappointed with this. You're right - maybe I should put: WARNING - THIS INVOLVES PLAYING CARDS in the ad. Smile

In all seriousness, it is actually something I probably should do. I just forget sometimes that not everybody likes them or views the same way as I do. But if you think about it, they are cards with numbers on them which makes them not out of place in a routine like this.

But as for feeling "contrived", I have to disagree. I use this in every day life and in professional performance for about 7 years now and one of the things that I have tried very hard to inject into Mentalism based routines is "surprise!" This routine has it in spades. Mentalism is sorely lacking in this area in my opinion. Also, keep in mind that from the audiences' perspective, this isn't about trying to divine a serial number. To them, they are trying an experiment with cards after a discussion about the subconscious. They firmly believe that *this* is about something entirely different...until the very end, when they suddenly discover (much to their complete shock) that they have managed to recreate the serial number of a bill that's been in plain view throughout the entire time! Proof indeed, that the subconscious is a mysterious and marvelous thing. The handling is very clean, fair, and completely logical. There's no "mind reading" involved with this and anytime you can make the participant the "star" is a VERY good thing in my books. Smile

But in the end, it's your call, and as always, tastes are subjective.

You have mentioned that you still might give it a go though and I truly hope that you do. Because if you do, I think you will begin to really appreciate how strong the effect really is and how powerful an impact it has and it may give you a change of heart.
Magic which awakens and nourishes the divine spirit in man encourages the growth of true humanity, in contrast to the materialistic outlook which binds man to the earth.

BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2193 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Hi guys,

Can any bill be used with any currency?

Thanks

Alex Alejandro
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Elite user
SLC, Utah
478 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Yes Alex - any currency will work.

This same handling can be applied to phone numbers or any other string of numbers that you'd like to work into the presentation (obviously you have to know, or learn, the numbers that you're targeting).

Just remember though - this isn't as "pure" as the effect description reads. It hints that there's a procedure in play but note that the participant makes choices (more appropriately described as eliminations) using playing cards.

Sudo - it's obvious that we see things differently on this point (and that's perfectly alright Smile ). Thing is, for me this IS "contrived" because I simply don't carry a pack of playing cards with me while gigging. I can appreciate that this probably plays very well for you - just not something I'll use in my professional set(s). I do think it's important to specify in the description WHAT sorts of props are in play though. The cards aren't merely a casual part of the process - they ARE the process.

Best,

Drew
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

ARCHITECT OF THE MIND

John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
11565 Posts

Profile of John C
I did mention cards in my post. Hey,not everything is for everyone. I bought the hidden hand. I'll never use it. But others like it a lot.
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Elite user
SLC, Utah
478 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
It IS good for those that use playing cards - apologies to Sudo and anyone else if I've given any impression to the contrary.

Best,

Drew

ARCHITECT OF THE MIND

Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1436 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
It's all good people.

I take no offence, seriously. As the old saying goes "you can't please all of the people all of the time."

If this isn't your thing, that's totally fine. Some things just don't appeal to some others, and that's ok. My choice in style of clothes (and also size) surely would probably not fit you or look appropriate on you either and vice-versa.

That's the way it SHOULD be, no? Smile

Have a great day everybody.
Magic which awakens and nourishes the divine spirit in man encourages the growth of true humanity, in contrast to the materialistic outlook which binds man to the earth.

Jonathan1000
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Jonathan1000
I definitely don't want to fish for method, but could one of you kindly provide some inkling of what kind of procedure is used with the cards, how well justified it is and whether it feels appropriate for a mentalist to use?
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals." -- Homer Simpson
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1436 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Hi Johnathan - that IS fishing.... Smile

But yes, I'll describe. Drew mentions above that there are eliminations, and yes, they are eliminations. How being given a completely free choice as to which to eliminate is viewed as NOT making choices is beyond my understanding.

But anyways, here's what happens. I'll describe it under the context of being used with the serial number of a Canadian bill. A spectator is asked to remove 8 cards from the deck without looking at faces. They mix and discard any 3 that they wish. They mix them some more than freely discard any two. Then mix some more and freely discard yet another. Finally, they are down to 2 cards. They discard one one of them. The discarded cards are turned face up to reveal that they are an exact match, and in order, for the serial number on a bill that has been in full view the entire time. The premise of the effect is about the subconscious making decisions while it is focused on another matter entirely which is rather fitting and is perfectly justified by the included presentation. There's more to the premise than that, but that's it in a nutshell.

Hope this helps.

BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2193 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Hey guys,

I bought this based on the reviews from above.

I went in blind, and after having read this twice through and tried on myself 2 times, I really like it.

Nice effect that you can perform anywhere

Good job Sudo

Alex
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1436 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Oh...very cool!

Well, that makes me very happy to hear. Thanks for taking a chance on my work Alex. Smile

DrewBstoss
View Profile
Elite user
SLC, Utah
478 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Quote:
On Mar 5, 2017, Sudo Nimh wrote:
How being given a completely free choice as to which to eliminate is viewed as NOT making choices is beyond my understanding.

Hi Sudo!

Not sure if this quote was in reference to my comment earlier... if it was, apologies for sending the wrong message! I agree that the participant will no doubt feel in complete control throughout the process.

And thank you for so candidly sharing the procedure involved with this. I'm a proponent of the saying, "All of life's frustrations come from unmet expectations" and I KNOW that I would have felt differently about my purchase had such a description been provided prior to picking it up (I would have understood how it fit, or didn't fit, into my astheitic of mentalism).

As I've said elsewhere though - I'm a fan of (the majority of) your work and appreciate your willingness to share with the community!

Best,

Drew

ARCHITECT OF THE MIND

John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
11565 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2017, Jonathan1000 wrote:
I definitely don't want to fish for method, but could one of you kindly provide some inkling of what kind of procedure is used with the cards, how well justified it is and whether it feels appropriate for a mentalist to use?

A mentalist? Before answering this question wouldn't we have to define what a mentalist is exactly?

I've been thinking about this mentalist, mind-reader, magician, can you use playing cards blah blah blah.

Here's the bare bones of what I've come up with since I'm a simple guy.

If you define yourself as a Mentalist no one really knows what that is so you would be safe using playing cards or reading minds or displaying intuition, or influence or any of the other senses.

If you define yourself as a Mind-reader it's pretty self explanatory....you read minds. But since you do couldn't you use cards since they come in colors, numbers, pictures, and most people are familiar with them. They really fit in with reading minds (providing you do it correctly and not full of quick motions and slights and flourishy shuffles)

You must have confidence in this game. Be a Mind-reader, be a Mentalist, be a magician, just don' be late for dinner. No, seriously, be what you are but don't hesitate, be it with confidence.

BE what you claim. Don't run when you're not being chased. Most audiences don't know what you are until you tell them and explain it a little, then move on with your show or effect.

j
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1436 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Drew - it's all good. Honestly. Smile

I'm not one of those guys who's gonna get upset just because something of mine didn't fit somebody else's tastes. I try not to mention too many details in ads because I have learned the hard way how people really like to pick things apart.

I will update the ad to mention the fact that this uses CARDS - be they playing cards, or alphabet cards, or....cause yeah, it doesn't HAVE to use playing cards! (Alphabet cards are REALLY nice if you want to have them divine WORDS.)

John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
11565 Posts

Profile of John C
Or index cards with numbers on them or number cards.....
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Elite user
SLC, Utah
478 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
I understand that you can use a myriad of things in place of playing cards.

My biggest gripe about the original product description was that it presented the process as free as the participant naming off the numbers...

Look up Tim Conover's crystal ball serial number divination and you'll see how Sudo's description fits THAT routine better than "Serial Thriller". I wasn't looking for Tim's version but I was hoping to glean a technique that played A LOT closer to that ideal.

Most of all though, I'm a bit disappointed in myself. I've been "around the block" enough to know that most descriptions/demos need to be taken with a grain of salt...but the allure of a really pure mind to mind demonstration got the better of me.

My intention isn't to hurt your sales Sudo - but there's a risk of people not loving the release for the same reasons that I don't (which ultimate could hurt future sales) so I wanted to share my opinion. I hope that it's helped people on both sides of the fence.

Best,

Drew

P.S. - At this point I feel as though I'm bordering on trolling so now that I've spoken my mind I'll refrain from posting further so that the discussion can move forward Smile

ARCHITECT OF THE MIND

Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1436 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
It's all good Drew - like I said earlier. Smile

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » SERIAL THRILLER by Sudo Nimh (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.32 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL