The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Hit by Luke Jermay (27 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
corindaman
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of corindaman
I saw this on Luke's masterclass, earlier this year, had them made up by Print by Magic com . They can do all card backs.
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
1725 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Ordered this as can use this with friends over late night drinks.
walkernick86
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of walkernick86
Quote:
On Dec 8, 2020, reignofsound wrote:

I am considering this trick as next month’s purchase. Let me know if it’s as good as it looks when you get it. Smile
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
1725 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2020, walkernick86 wrote:
Quote:

I am considering this trick as next month’s purchase. Let me know if it’s as good as it looks when you get it. Smile

Solid release although mine arrived with red Phoenix backs.
Ad copy states red bikes 🤦🏼‍♂️

Vanishing Inc sending replacements as I don’t use Phoenix decks.

You can make your own as well though.
walkernick86
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of walkernick86
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2020, reignofsound wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2020, walkernick86 wrote:
Quote:

Solid release although mine arrived with red Phoenix backs.
Ad copy states red bikes 🤦🏼‍♂️

Vanishing Inc sending replacements as I don’t use Phoenix decks.

You can make your own as well though.

Cool thanks. Sounds like a great release. Thanks for the heads up about the cards. Sounds like they need to update the ad copy. Smile
no2ss
View Profile
Special user
California
755 Posts

Profile of no2ss
For what it's worth, in the video, he not only explains how to (very easily) make your own gaffs for any deck you want, but actually suggests that making them yourselves has some *benefits* over the professionally made ones that come with the effect. There are both pros and cons to either home made gaffs or the pro ones. But I'm probably going to make my own in order to take advantage of the benefits he discusses.

Also, don't sleep on the alternatives he presents at the end of the video, which I think give you some ideas that are better than the main effect.
walkernick86
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of walkernick86
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2020, no2ss wrote:
For what it's worth, in the video, he not only explains how to (very easily) make your own gaffs for any deck you want, but actually suggests that making them yourselves has some *benefits* over the professionally made ones that come with the effect. There are both pros and cons to either home made gaffs or the pro ones. But I'm probably going to make my own in order to take advantage of the benefits he discusses.

Also, don't sleep on the alternatives he presents at the end of the video, which I think give you some ideas that are better than the main effect.

Sounds good. I was debating whether to buy a pack of red Phoenix cards along with the trick, but as you suggest, I could just make a gaff out of bicycle cards instead. The bonus ideas sound interesting too. Wondering what else is possible with the principles taught with hit lol. Smile
Either way I love the look of this effect judging by the trailer. I’ve always fancied myself as a bit of a Derren Brown ha ha. Smile
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
1725 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Spent 10 minutes today making up my own gimmicks.
Work great but think I will prefer the pre-made options.
walkernick86
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of walkernick86
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2020, reignofsound wrote:
Spent 10 minutes today making up my own gimmicks.
Work great but think I will prefer the pre-made options.

Sounds good. Seeing as you prefer the pre made gimmicks, I think I will
Purchase as red deck of Phoenix cards along with my HIT order. Smile
Mark Timon
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of Mark Timon
Nice trick for friends and family
Chollet
View Profile
Regular user
Don't be fooled by the fact I only have
187 Posts

Profile of Chollet
Keep in mind you can use the pre-made gimmicks to make your own gimmicks with the back of your choosing. This will give you the "added benefit" at the same time. Just food for thought.
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1426 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
I love Luke Jermay material, and I really love gambling effects -- but this one feels a bit fishy to me because out of 17 cards dealt from the deck, there isn't a single face card or ace -- that comes off as highly suspicious and I'm guessing speaks to method. From a participant's standpoint, even if they're not that familiar with the game of 21, most people know that all face cards are 10 and aces are either 1 or 11...yet none of those cards ever come up. I know what those who like this effect can say that I'm "overthinking it", but when you see Luke shuffling the deck, so supposedly it's a random dealing of cards - it just doesn't ring true that all four 3's, all four 5's, and all four 6's are dealt, and the only high card dealt is a single 10. Try dealing out 4 rounds of black Jack for two people and let me know when you don't get a single court card or ace.
SoloDoubleAct
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
34 Posts

Profile of SoloDoubleAct
I think that is a really fair critique Mindbender, that there are no face cards. I don't think it would take too long at all to workshop a routine which uses some face cards.

But as for the suspiciousness of seeing this smattering of cards: 1. It could legitimately happen, and 2. I present it with a strong influence heavy patter like Luke did in the VI Masterclass, and as such I either just openly pull the needed cards from being mixed in to the deck or have them separated already and, either way, just present it as "I'm going to try and influence you with these cards" etc. I don't think it adds much to try and make them seem randomly chosen because I'm going to be looking at the faces anyways and I already said this is about me influencing you, so I want to use these cards to do it apparently!
Chollet
View Profile
Regular user
Don't be fooled by the fact I only have
187 Posts

Profile of Chollet
I have created a hand or two that uses face cards. Really pretty simple. It ends with them making a decision to "hit" or not, or to have me "hit". There is a lot you can create if you sit down and work with the cards and the concept.

In addition, if you are making up your own gimmicks, you can easily substitute any face card for the 10.
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1426 Posts

Oh, that's good to hear, thanks for letting me know. Much more interested knowing I could do that, thanks SoloDoubleAct and Chollet!
walkernick86
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of walkernick86
Quote:
On Dec 14, 2020, Mr. Mindbender wrote:
Oh, that's good to hear, thanks for letting me know. Much more interested knowing I could do that, thanks SoloDoubleAct and Chollet!

Agreed! Thanks guys! Can’t wait to get this trick in January! Smile
Marc O
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
755 Posts

Profile of Marc O
Quote:
On Dec 14, 2020, Mr. Mindbender wrote:
I love Luke Jermay material, and I really love gambling effects -- but this one feels a bit fishy to me because out of 17 cards dealt from the deck, there isn't a single face card or ace -- that comes off as highly suspicious and I'm guessing speaks to method. From a participant's standpoint, even if they're not that familiar with the game of 21, most people know that all face cards are 10 and aces are either 1 or 11...yet none of those cards ever come up. I know what those who like this effect can say that I'm "overthinking it", but when you see Luke shuffling the deck, so supposedly it's a random dealing of cards - it just doesn't ring true that all four 3's, all four 5's, and all four 6's are dealt, and the only high card dealt is a single 10. Try dealing out 4 rounds of black Jack for two people and let me know when you don't get a single court card or ace.

Use a burn card between every round, you could use face cards or aces for this.
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1426 Posts

Okay, so I took the plunge and glad I did. First off, although for some, the pacing of the trailer was slow (and I'd agree), Jermey explains how, due to the simplicity yet flexibility of the method, the pace of the routine can be adjusted based on your presentation style and the situation.

Also, Jermey offers a few additional presentation ideas beyond the "I'm going to influence you" approach. His suggestion of using a pendulum is rather nice!

Finally, I adjusted the effect to incorporate several court cards and even an Ace - so the distribution of cards feels much more random to me. In doing so, I did have to lose the presentation angle of "I want to beat you, but not so badly that you lose hope..." In the download, Jermey says he particularly likes that line, but me? Not so much...to each his own. I find it slightly illogical because in Black Jack, losing by just one is irrelevant. Bottom line is that the participant made the wrong decision between two hands and I want to keep the focus on that.

By removing the idea of "losing by only one" it not only freed me up to use court cards and an ace, but also, each phase didn't have to have two cards of the same value - which happens in all four phases of Jermey's version in the trailer.

But hey, I understand this is a personal preference, and others might not care about any of what I care about.

Bottom line is that I think this is a terrific effect, and as with everything I buy of Jermey's, I find his thinking and creative process informative and inspirational!
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1211 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
Quote:
On Dec 15, 2020, Mr. Mindbender wrote:
Okay, so I took the plunge and glad I did. First off, although for some, the pacing of the trailer was slow (and I'd agree), Jermey explains how, due to the simplicity yet flexibility of the method, the pace of the routine can be adjusted based on your presentation style and the situation.

Also, Jermey offers a few additional presentation ideas beyond the "I'm going to influence you" approach. His suggestion of using a pendulum is rather nice!

Finally, I adjusted the effect to incorporate several court cards and even an Ace - so the distribution of cards feels much more random to me. In doing so, I did have to lose the presentation angle of "I want to beat you, but not so badly that you lose hope..." In the download, Jermey says he particularly likes that line, but me? Not so much...to each his own. I find it slightly illogical because in Black Jack, losing by just one is irrelevant. Bottom line is that the participant made the wrong decision between two hands and I want to keep the focus on that.

By removing the idea of "losing by only one" it not only freed me up to use court cards and an ace, but also, each phase didn't have to have two cards of the same value - which happens in all four phases of Jermey's version in the trailer.

But hey, I understand this is a personal preference, and others might not care about any of what I care about.

Bottom line is that I think this is a terrific effect, and as with everything I buy of Jermey's, I find his thinking and creative process informative and inspirational!

Makes totally sense, thank you. 👏
I always listen up when you speak!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12200 Posts

Profile of John C
I agree with mr mb. Certainly live all of Luke’s philosophy.

I will use this.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Hit by Luke Jermay (27 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL