The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Hit by Luke Jermay (27 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Dec 24, 2020, AutarchicFlux wrote:
I don't get this at all. Nothing magical seems to happen

Is that because it's not a magic routine but a Mentalism routine?
no2ss
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1027 Posts

Profile of no2ss
Quote:
I don't get this at all. Nothing magical seems to happen - it's a rather boring sequence of events with nothing extraordinary about it, and no real punchline or presentational hook. Luke has put out some great stuff over the years, but I just don't see laymen being at all interested by this, let alone impressed or "fooled" (by what?)

Do you feel the same way about the 10 card poker deal? Basically the same effect and gets praised widely. And if you don't like the "influence" angle there are more "magical" methods, such as having a magic... thing (coin? pen? whatever?) and whoever is holding it is guaranteed to win. Lots of ideas you can build on here.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Dec 20, 2020, Oliver Munoz Gutierrez wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 20, 2020, casco1 wrote:
I like it a lot, but I don’t think the last phase would fool anyone.

Tried it a few times and only magicians had a salution to this a routine. I have more a problem with presentation. Im still trying to make it more interesting.

More interesting? Good luck with that.
dvno
View Profile
Special user
Hamburg
570 Posts

Profile of dvno
Some of you asked if this was available with bicycle cards. I ordered from magic-harri.de and got bicycle.
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1566 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
For those saying that the 4 phase game of Blackjack isn’t their cup of tea, know that Luke goes into the thinking behind why he chose that version for the trailer, but that he offers several different presentational approaches in the download, and the method is flexible enough to allow you the freedom to create many other routines.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2020, Mr. Mindbender wrote:
For those saying that the 4 phase game of Blackjack isn’t their cup of tea, know that Luke goes into the thinking behind why he chose that version for the trailer, but that he offers several different presentational approaches in the download, and the method is flexible enough to allow you the freedom to create many other routines.

I think that's exactly the way to look at it. The basic mechanics of the effect lends itself to a surprising variety of presentations.
AutarchicFlux
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of AutarchicFlux
Quote:
On Dec 25, 2020, Martin Pulman wrote:
Quote:

Mentalism is great, but this is just boring and transparent.
dvno
View Profile
Special user
Hamburg
570 Posts

Profile of dvno
I think it’s as boring as you present it 🤷‍♂️
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
2200 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
I’ve got good reactions with this.
Horses for courses I guess.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2020, AutarchicFlux wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't see how it can be transparent to lay people? They are being offered the cleanest of choices every time, from their point of view, no?
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2020, AutarchicFlux wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

?
walkernick86
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of walkernick86
Quote:
I don't get this at all. Nothing magical seems to happen - it's a rather boring sequence of events with nothing extraordinary about it, and no real punchline or presentational hook. Luke has put out some great stuff over the years, but I just don't see laymen being at all interested by this, let alone impressed or "fooled" (by what?)

You don’t have a clue what you are talking about! I keep saying this, and I will say it again! This is a Derren Brownesque routine! Just look at how many people love DB’s stuff! Now look at this routine by Luke! If you think that your audience won’t like this routine, then go back to pulling rabbits out of hats! That’s what all the kids like who have an attention span of 5 seconds! This routine is for intelligent adults who love to question and debate the nature of free will and human influence!
no2ss
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1027 Posts

Profile of no2ss
Also, if you think this is boring then I suggest watching Ricky Jay's poker deal routine in "Hustlers, Hoaxsters, Pranksters, Jokesters" which Luke says inspired this effect. That is... anything but boring. Of course, how you perform it matters quite a bit.
walkernick86
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of walkernick86
Quote:
On Dec 28, 2020, no2ss wrote:
Also, if you think this is boring then I suggest watching Ricky Jay's poker deal routine in "Hustlers, Hoaxsters, Pranksters, Jokesters" which Luke says inspired this effect. That is... anything but boring. Of course, how you perform it matters quite a bit.

Agreed mate. Smile
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:

That really is a classic of the genre. But then, Ricky Jay was a very good actor. As is Derren Brown. I think people underestimate how much Derren is bringing to routines like this with his performance ability. Luke Jermay can't quite bring it off in the same way. His delivery is a little too pedantic. A little over-rehearsed. But the thinking behind the effect is very strong.

If people don't like this more confrontational approach there is a very good alternative using a pendulum (which isn't necessary) that makes the spectator the star.
walkernick86
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of walkernick86
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2020, Martin Pulman wrote:
Quote:

That really is a classic of the genre. But then, Ricky Jay was a very good actor. As is Derren Brown. I think people underestimate how much Derren is bringing to routines like this with his performance ability. Luke Jermay can't quite bring it off in the same way. His delivery is a little too pedantic. A little over-rehearsed. But the thinking behind the effect is very strong.

If people don't like this more confrontational approach there is a very good alternative using a pendulum (which isn't necessary) that makes the spectator the star.

I agree. DB brings so much in terms of performance to his routines, and that is what really makes it. Like any good performance. I also agree that Luke could bring more to his performance of HIT as seen in the trailer. I am sure there are many great mentalists out there that will really make this routine their own. Smile
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
2200 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
I think Luke does a grand job on the performance of this.
Simple and easy to follow for the spectator.

This is a great routine and one of my better purchases of 2020.
no2ss
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1027 Posts

Profile of no2ss
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2020, Martin Pulman wrote:
Quote:

Yes, exactly. The performance style matters. And if you don't want the confrontational approach, then Luke offers many excellent alternatives. The pendulum one is a great option. But there are lots of other ideas as well. Basically you're set up so that whoever you want can win a blackjack routine over multiple rounds. There are tons of routines that can work for that in very magical and spectacular ways even if you don't want to take the Ricky Jay super confrontational performance.
ebursztein
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of ebursztein
Ordered it a while back and just finally got the chance to look at it last night. I love it BUT there is a slight problem with the cards choice. I don't want to expose it so can't say to much but let just say there is a pattern between the phases. This bothered me all night so today took the time to write a little program to find the optimal solution to the issue. I thought I would make it available to all of you that might want to tweak their version so its even more deceptive Smile

- Luke original configuration give you those table: https://github.com/ebursztein/hitmeup/bl......9_2_3.md
- You can decide to "widen" with this: https://github.com/ebursztein/hitmeup/bl......9_2_3.md
- Or even this: https://github.com/ebursztein/hitmeup/bl......0_2_3.md

Note: I had to find the right balance between making the tables legible and avoiding exposing the method so feel free to PM me if you want more details. The code is also available under CC0 if you want to brew your own: https://github.com/ebursztein/hitmeup

Happy new year!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Luke's performance was to sell the effect to us. He didn't have a big audience or anything like that.

His pendulum esp effect was much better if you watched it as well he had an audience. Looked like a possible paying gig.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Hit by Luke Jermay (27 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL