The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » The Fair Question Vlog (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
On Apr 24, 2017, charliecheckers wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 24, 2017, RobertSmith wrote:
100% agree. Pricing your product correctly is critical.
My point is, if you're paying a coach to explain pricing then you're paying for information that's available for free.
And that's okay. You do you.
Robert

All information is potentially available for free. In reality, I strongly encouraged my brother to pay for advice on pricing because it is so critical to every other aspect of his business and something we had very limited knowledge about. Discussions here over the years revealed to us that there are many opinions about pricing, most of it frankly seat of the pants. So we were not paying for pricing information so much as we were paying for informed pricing. We were also paying to have that information available now and through a reliable source. If one were to break down the cost of the information we received so far, as it relates to pricing, it would probably be less than $100. Of coarse this is not the way the services are sold or offered, but just mentioned to illustrate how simple it is to justify a return on investment.

Free advice has served us well. As a matter of fact, I suspect we have taken the free advice offered here farther than most. That being said, investing in specialized services can be the most cost effective way to move forward. Unless one is willing to invest the time to understand our exact needs, interests, limitations, and future expectations, their advice on pricing will be compromised.

Glad it's worked out for you. I think I read somewhere else you got connected with the White House because of it. Good on you guys. I bet that was an amazing experience.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Getting answers is as simply as ASKING and you can always keep asking until you find the answer you wanting. But most people hate asking more than one question and feel better with learning from books/videos or investing in the other means of learning like workshops, etc. Nothing wrong with that, but Robert is right, the simply easy way to get an answer is to ASK. Lot of free answers out there.

ASKING is a shortcut to success for sure. And in the beginning once you have the basics down pat it’s only a matter of building relationships with key people to the point that you feel comfortable with asking questions.

Another key is to never reach a point where you stop learning. Don’t allow your business to become so routine that you can’t see room for improvement. And if this requires spending money to take some advanced classes with some experts, I say go for it.

Tom
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Episode 12 - An Interview with Clay County Fair Manager, Tasha Hyder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3Ju0oKoQMs
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I wanted to wait to do this until things settled down a bit. Robert and I were discussing this subject and he thought it might be a good thing to ask in the thread. So if ONLY Robert can answer it might be a good topic.

We were discussing how there are different types of performers at fairs. There is no such thing as a "fair" performer in general in that they have different acts doing different things. I will let Robert himself elaborate on this. There are many levels, and the way you book them is different, the way you approach the show is different and many things are. Robert said it would be a good thing to discuss. I was of the opinion that we would get too many opinions as opposed to one who is there. Robert has said many times he is a "type" of fair act, but indeed he sees and watches and knows acts on pretty much all levels so will have some insight into the idea.

I personally have some fairly dated information so I do not want to elaborate. Roberts info is a bit more current on the subject to say the least. So if you still read here man take it away! It will clear up a bunch of misconceptions that people have. (Probably a few I have myself.)

And before anyone starts to cry about this being some sort of attack nonsense PLEASE understand Robert and I discussed this weeks ago. It is not an attack, it is furthering the discussion. (Robert would not cry about it obviously as we discussed it. I mean the usual suspect.)
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
For what it's worth, the artist I work for as a Lighting Designer regularly headlines large state fairs.

The only other experience I have is my company was hired to do a 20 minute circus show, plus walk around magic entertainment for a county fair once (not local, a few states a way). We set up next to the main stage where the country music acts played and were basically the pre-show entertainment. It was an interesting experience. I did walk around magic, in addition to coordinating and running sound for the circus show.

I bring that up to echo what Danny said... That's 2 different personal experiences I have with fairs. Obviously quite different, but both fall under fair entertainment.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yes yes yes! Exactly. 2 personal experiences, 2 "fair" experiences and 2 totally different experiences.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I thought you asked no one to post, only Robert? This is going well.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well to be fair (See what I did there?) I'm not in charge of who responds. I just thought it might be more clear is all.

Also Robert is not at our beck and call. It is after all fair season ramping up so he is probably busy.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Plenty of different types of acts within the fair market. From grandstand headliners all the way down to hypnotists.

I don't talk about grandstand performers as I'm adamant about maintaining my lane of experience. We a tually just had a round table discussion at a convention last week entitled "Stationary entertainment vs strolling."

Several suggested the name wasn't reflective of actual grounds entertainment. Some strolling acts move during their act. Others are stationary but move their act each set. Them there's me, who is in fact stationary but just considers myself grounds entertainment.

So what's in a name?
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Fair Question Episode 013 |Fairs & Snapchat Geofilters
https://youtu.be/OvXHwzbhnCM

While this episode is geared more toward fairs marketing their events, it's absolute fire. How could you utilize this technology to boost awareness of your business?

-Robert
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
ALWAYS the goal! I don't care what business you have.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » The Fair Question Vlog (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL