The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Sublimental (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1754 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Hi guys,

I received a review copy of "Sublimental" by J. D. Roberts.

It's available on lybrary.com for $9

The effect is simple. The performers displays three blank business cards. The spectator is asked to think of the name of someone living. They are given a card to write the name on while the performer turns his back. Once the name is written, the spectator mixes all three business cards together and lays them face down on the table in a line so one knows where the name is.

The performer waves his hand over the cards and picks up two cards. These are shown to be blank proving he found the card with the name on it. The performer then waves his hand over the card with the name writes the name he believes it to be down on one of the blank business cards. This card is handed to the spectator to hold. The performer reads the name the spectator wrote. The spectator is asked to look at what the magician wrote, and it's a match. In the end, everything is clean and can be examined.

That's pretty much how the performance goes. There's one bit I'm leaving out which is an extra convincer but since we are all magicians, it may telegraph some of the method.

Over all, for $9 this is a nice effect. Nothing revolutionary or incredibly new about this routine, however the moves and combinations of methods come together nicely to make a routine which will absolutely work in the real world and fool laymen.

Again, it's a good release and very workable and practical.

Madison
Pit Boss
View Profile
Special user
573 Posts

Profile of Pit Boss
Thanks Madison, glad you found it worthwhile. Being my first release I wasn't sure what to expect, but the feedback has been very positive.

Here's the original thread for anyone interested: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=15

Here's where to purchase: www.lybrary.com/sublimental-p-899615.html

I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone may have. Thanks, JD
January
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of January
I second everything Madison has said. It's a quick, direct effect that ends cleanly that's perfect for an impromptu, one-on-one demonstration. Great work, J.D.!
Tim Zager
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas City
222 Posts

Profile of Tim Zager
Quote:
On Feb 23, 2017, MadisonH wrote:

...the moves and combinations of methods come together nicely to make a routine which will absolutely work in the real world and fool laymen.

Agreed! I would also add that JD's work always includes great presentation ideas that engages his audience and justifys every action.

I once saw JD perform Barrie Richardson's dictionary effect for Barrie with his own (JD's) presentation. Barrie loved it! Barrie made the same comment about his presentation style.
Make sure your customers never lose your information,
with a Digital Business Card.
Pit Boss
View Profile
Special user
573 Posts

Profile of Pit Boss
Thanks guys! Presently number 6 on the Lybrary hotlist! Glad people are getting some use out of it!

JD
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
759 Posts

Profile of leondo
I personally think this routine/method has a profound effect on the participant. I've been doing it daily since I learned it.
BTY, for me it is not a "read it once and perform it" effect!
I would like to discuss it further, but this is not the forum for it.
Ted (Leondo)
January
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of January
Yes, leondo, I would say that it would be the sort of effect that gets much stronger with practice and polishing!
Pit Boss
View Profile
Special user
573 Posts

Profile of Pit Boss
Like most mentalism, this routine is all about attitude and conviction.

Ted, thank you. If you'd like to discuss it further, you may always pm me.

I'm so happy that you are getting some use out of it. You must be getting some great reactions.

JD
Tmayer
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Tmayer
I really like this routine. Good job.
Pit Boss
View Profile
Special user
573 Posts

Profile of Pit Boss
Thank you Tmayer! Glad you like it.

JD
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Is this strictly a one-on-one effect or could it play in a show?
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Pit Boss
View Profile
Special user
573 Posts

Profile of Pit Boss
Its not strictly one on one. While done FOR one person, many people can be watching. The only requirement is that everyone should be in close enough proximity to read something written on a business card.

Thanks for your interest! JD
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Thank you
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
towledge
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of towledge
I love the idea of converting classic card magic principles into mentalism routines. Even better when the mentalism employs business cards rather than playing cards or ESP cards- further distancing from the thought of a card trick. Such is the case with Sublimental. Further- there are only 3 business cards in play, the routine is very organic and virtually propless and it basically can be performed as an anytime anywhere little beauty. Great thinking on the part of J. D. Roberts. It's easy to learn and easy to perform. I recommend it.
Pit Boss
View Profile
Special user
573 Posts

Profile of Pit Boss
Glad you liked it towledge! Thanks for posting your thoughts.

JD
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Just got this. I had devised my own method of doing this and was happy to see that this is something different.
However, the description is a bit lenient by saying you end clean.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Pit Boss
View Profile
Special user
573 Posts

Profile of Pit Boss
Hmmmm...not quite sure what you're referring to. Begin with three cards and a pen, end with three cards and a pen. Nothing added or removed from play, and everything examinable at the conclusion.

In any event, thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts here, I really appreciate all the feedback.

JD
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Sublimental (14 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL