The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Daryl died at the Magic Castle (97 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I met Daryl a couple of times, and he was always very personable and nice. His stage presence was fantastic, and what a creative mind.

I am shocked when I heard this, so young and leaves a wife and family behind. I just received email from him that he was selling his video tapes, a week or so ago.

After reading the referenced report, it is very hard to believe it was suicide, a police officer once told me in a restaurant, I was sitting near, that most deaths are called suicide, even when the facts don't make sense.

When I was in Viet Nam, my Sargent committed suicide when he was alone, he also was thinking of others when he was committing the act. So maybe Daryl was doing the same.

I am very saddened to have received this news. He was and will continue to be a legend.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Very sad and bizzarre, reminds of the Robin Williams incident. Daryl was a huge influence on me and his comprehensive "Encyclopedia of Card Sleights" DVDS are still one of my favorite DVD sets of all time, and I love all of his other work as well and I continue to use his material today. My condolences go to "The Magician's Magician" and his family.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
The organisation of FISM 2018 has to do something to honor him. It is simply their duty.
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1553 Posts

Profile of Cain
Speaking of trash media, I've heard wildly different accounts of what happened. Was this definitely a suicide and not an accident? While the latter would be more embarrassing, it would not be quite as sad.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
RIP to a legend. He certainly left a legacy for the benefit of all who came after him.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
I feel blessed to have met Daryl it's not often that you get to meet your hero's especially when they turn out to be everything you hoped they would be and more. One of the nicest men you could ever wish to meet RIP to a true magical legend Daryl The Magician's Magician my thoughts are with your family at this sad time Smile
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of Karl M
It feels like 2017 is starting like what 2016 was,I hope not for the rest of 2017
RichardIngram
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of RichardIngram
I met Daryl twice, true gentlemen. So helpful and absolutely loved magic. He will be missed.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea My Dad used to Say That " suicide was a permanent solution to a temporary problem " My Best ):
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
808 Posts

Profile of danaruns
I talked to Daryl just two days ago. He was perfectly fine. Of course, now I know he wasn't, and I hate that we just engaged in chit chat when there was obviously really important stuff on his mind. Not that he would share it with me, but still. I wish I could have said or done something. Smile
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Sad for Daryl and his Family,

and Magic.

-Mary
blurrylines
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of blurrylines
US news reports that the coroner has stated it was *NOT* a suicide. It was an accident. I want to note that it does not in the slightest diminish the grave tragedy of the loss, but softens things...just a bit, to know that the Daryl we all knew and loved was not putting on an false act while being tormented inside. His jovial excitement and infectious enthusiasm was authentic until the very end.

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/......-coroner
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Many of us lost a magical friend today and I am still shocked by it all. However, you should all know that much of what you have been reading is in fact "Fake News" - Here's the truth as we know it so far...Click Here! Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1553 Posts

Profile of Cain
Eeek. Some people take things too far.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Now ruled as an accident, strange.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2017, Steve Brooks wrote:
Many of us lost a magical friend today and I am still shocked by it all. However, you should all know that much of what you have been reading is in fact "Fake News" - Here's the truth as we know it so far...Click Here! Smile

Thank you for sharing this. I spoke with Daryl not too long ago, and I have always felt he was one of the happiest people with one of the best attitudes about life. It makes way more sense that this was a terrible accident.

He will be missed.

KJ
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Accidental makes no sense since he was close-up performer, sounds like something an illusionist or stage magician would do. A lot of stuff doesn't add up. But hopefully time will reveal the truth.
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1553 Posts

Profile of Cain
No.

Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Magicians helping Magicians.
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
623 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2017, Mary Mowder wrote:
Cain,

This is just speculation.

The Coroner has ruled it an accident.

Please ask that your post be removed.

-Mary

While it is indeed speculation, Cain is only saying what everyone who has read these types of reports before is thinking. When this type of death is ruled accidental, it is almost always what was mentioned. It's fairly common.

While I for one wouldn't speculate on specifics when I don't know them, people are simply reacting to the information in their own way. Discussion is one of those ways. Unless slander is involved, or it violates the rules of the Café, I don't see why else we are here on this message board if not to discuss thoughts on the things people post.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Daryl died at the Magic Castle (97 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL