The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Daryl died at the Magic Castle (93 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1177 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Empathy, tact, respect for privacy, etc.
Most people respect it, some apparently attach less importance to it.
Respect for the privacy of the dead is here at stake.
Certain norms and values are obviously not universal and vary depending on education, culture, age, and geographic location.
In the name of free speech, this can sometimes lead to embarrassing situations.
The question then arises whether it is wise in any circumstances, throwing around his opinion.
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1177 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
I see that the administrators from this forum guide this thread in a sensible and wise manner. I, and no doubt many forum members, appreciate this very much.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19625 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Sad. So much about this is so sad.

I wish the need to speculate and sensationalize didn't permeate our culture.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2017, Race Blakhart wrote:
When this type of death is ruled accidental, it is almost always what was mentioned. It's fairly common.

Yes, exactly, and no matter how he passed it naturally does not diminish any of his contributions to the magical arts community - people will be using his instructional videos for generations to come. However, I think it is reckless to regard the facts as "fake news." The facts are he was found dead in the dressing room with a bag over his head, and it has been ruled accidental, and that it had nothing to do with an illusion of effect. As adults we all know what that adds up to, and to bury your head in the sand and pretend that isn't the case, or to call such reports as "fake news" seems silly to me.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
2926 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
This is very sad news. I enjoyed Daryl's products very much, and learned a lot from them.

Elliott
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
+May his memory be eternal+
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
indonesia
1940 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
Rip...my thought on him.
Still have several of his invention.
The Jumping knot is great and I still perform it 3 days ago. So sad...
Creator of the "High Voltage Gimmick" and Shaman's spirit table
https://youtu.be/Rlgl4CzUa98

IG: @affordable_illusions_magic
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1502 Posts

Profile of Cain
It's sad how people are infantilized. We hear about someone who died of hanging, and members reasonably inferred suicide. You'll note that I didn't; I was skeptical based on other details and reports. I withheld judgement. Others upthread speculated about depression and darkness, yet meddlesome pearl-clutchers did not issue any warnings, and those posts certainly were not scrubbed. I stated what I was personally inclined to believe based on the evidence available, so let's not pretend this is about "speculation." It's victorianism masquerading as a concern for truth.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
jefkve
View Profile
New user
Orange County, CA
52 Posts

Profile of jefkve
Regardless of how it happened, it is sad and a great loss. RIP
SteveFromSpokane
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of SteveFromSpokane
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2017, blurrylines wrote:
My first magic VHS was Daryl. I was going to attend his lecture this weekend at the castle. The man was an exemplary magician and an unparalleled pleasure to be around. I never, and I mean never saw him without a smile on his face (even off stage). What a tragedy.

" I never, and I mean never saw him without a smile on his face (even off stage). " Never more truer words.

Much like Aldo , Daryl helped my magic so much and was a true pleasure to be around.
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2815 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
You can view the coroner's report at: http://mec.lacounty.gov/wps/portal/mec/m......17-01586

The ruling is suicide. The case is closed.

Daryl was a wonderful performer and a great person as well. My heart goes out to his family and to all who knew him. It's a sad day indeed.

Mike
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4735 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Thanks Mike I was try to do that!!! Smile

And To his Family My Best!!! Smile
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Drtriage
View Profile
Veteran user
My garden fence has
337 Posts

Profile of Drtriage
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2017, Mike Powers wrote:
You can view the coroner's report at: http://mec.lacounty.gov/wps/portal/mec/m......17-01586

The ruling is suicide. The case is closed.

Daryl was a wonderful performer and a great person as well. My heart goes out to his family and to all who knew him. It's a sad day indeed.

Mike

Thanks Mike for this info.

It is a sad time for the magic community - Daryl gave us so much.

Suicide is so tragic.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
1838 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
This is very sad. Daryl was the magicians magician for a reason. He will be missed by a lot of people.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Dollarbill
View Profile
Special user
Colorado
880 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Smile
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Daryl was a member of IBM Victor St Leon Ring 192, although he was only able to come to special events such as auctions, where he bought generously. He often came to lectures by visiting magicians at our club and Grand Illusions. Always wanting to learn more. The lecturers always paid tribute to him. He always brought a smile to my face. RIP
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3268 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
I was having dinner with a friend in the dining room at the Magic Castle that night when I heard the news from another member passing by. The sad news turned the festive mood of the Castle to a somber and shocked group of people.

The shows that were ajecent to the area of the incident were canceled and the guests were diverted to other parts of the building where magician members entertained groups

Soon afterwards the decision was made by the management to cancel the last dinner seating and the Magic Castle closed at 11:30.
danielrhall
View Profile
Regular user
NH, where some days I feel as dumb as
181 Posts

Profile of danielrhall
So very shocking and sad to lose such a humble, likeable person, a tremendous talent, and a great teacher. Rest in peace, Daryl.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2017, sam2452 wrote:
I Was hoping mask magician.

Hoping...what?
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
2571 Posts

Profile of tophatter
I am very saddened by this News & shocked R.I.P Daryl , I still have his original video with the teaching of Presto Printo what a great thinker & performer "One Of The Best" He will be missed.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Daryl died at the Magic Castle (93 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL