The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Daryl died at the Magic Castle (93 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Karl M
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2017, Mike Powers wrote:
You can view the coroner's report at: http://mec.lacounty.gov/wps/portal/mec/m......17-01586

The ruling is suicide. The case is closed.

Daryl was a wonderful performer and a great person as well. My heart goes out to his family and to all who knew him. It's a sad day indeed.

Mike

How can the coroner know his intention was to do suicide unless Darryl left a note or some thing,I don't believe it
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1166 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
I wish the need to speculate and sensationalize didn't permeate our culture.

Unfortunately, some people do not know when to stop.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2017, Waterloophai wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
I wish the need to speculate and sensationalize didn't permeate our culture.

Unfortunately, some people do not know when to stop.



True colors... and all that.

Image
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
at4iowa
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of at4iowa
Daryl is one of my all time favorites. I think I own every DVD he produced. I recently purchased his two of his books which he signed for me. Had the privilege of seeing him perform and lecture and he just seemed so genuinely nice. The cause of his death is irrelevant, we lost a great magician and a great human being. My thoughts and well wishes go out to his family and those who knew him best. Rest in peace Daryl.
Rspangl
View Profile
New user
Ohio
6 Posts

Profile of Rspangl
Terrible news. I bought Daryl's rope routine probably 30 years ago. Each step was explained in a large fold-out poster. I perform that rope routine about any time I perform. A friend of mine had some of his VHS sets, and when they came out in DVD, Daryl let him 'trade' for a very small fee. He was such a good teacher. What are your favorite effects from Daryl?
Ron Spangler
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
539 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2017, Ross W wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2017, Karl M wrote:
I have tried what every one is saying what Daryl did and its not a bad thing at all,it is just your choice what to do and every one has a chice about what to do,only one person can say it is wright or it is wrong and it it the person doing it,I respect Daryl 100% what ever it was what happened


Jeez,man. TMI.

(If true.)


I read that & thought I was misreading it. Maybe I wasn't.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13333 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I cannot believe it.
We performed together at a casino a few years ago. I had not seen him since.

Such a great guy. I'm shocked and sad for his family.

Click here to view attached image.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3972 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2017, Race Blakhart wrote:

While it is indeed speculation, Cain is only saying...

I don't see why else we are here on this message board if not to discuss thoughts on the things people post.


If I am reading the now-edited (thank you, mods) topic correctly, the reason to judiciously refrain from discussions that sometimes surround the passing of someone on a public forum (as I see it) doesn't have anything to do with any of us. It is about the feelings of, and consideration for, family members left behind.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1250 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Yet here's the tricky wrinkle:

It's not a private act when it's performed in a public place.

Plus it's a public place to which a lot of people have personal attachments. So that gets knotty.

And depression afflicts lots of people to varying degrees, making it feel personal, even at a distance, for lots of people.

And on top of that, the Castle is a business for which sustainable success is dependent on its image. If the Castle could choose among the two competing narratives, which would be least damaging? It appears that the Castle's choice is being officially honored, but that narrative is not so compatible with the items initially reported and with the absence of a note.

When things don't make sense, people try to make sense of the situation, especially when it feels public and/or they feel personally touched.

So there's discussion.
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Agree with the 2 narratives thing - and a "cover up" or "spin" is suspect and creepy, no matter what the motivation

Quote:
On Feb 28, 2017, Tim Cavendish wrote:
Yet here's the tricky wrinkle:

It's not a private act when it's performed in a public place.

Plus it's a public place to which a lot of people have personal attachments. So that gets knotty.

And depression afflicts lots of people to varying degrees, making it feel personal, even at a distance, for lots of people.

And on top of that, the Castle is a business for which sustainable success is dependent on its image. If the Castle could choose among the two competing narratives, which would be least damaging? It appears that the Castle's choice is being officially honored, but that narrative is not so compatible with the items initially reported and with the absence of a note.

When things don't make sense, people try to make sense of the situation, especially when it feels public and/or they feel personally touched.

So there's discussion.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3526 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2017, Rspangl wrote:
Terrible news. I bought Daryl's rope routine probably 30 years ago. Each step was explained in a large fold-out poster. I perform that rope routine about any time I perform. A friend of mine had some of his VHS sets, and when they came out in DVD, Daryl let him 'trade' for a very small fee. He was such a good teacher. What are your favorite effects from Daryl?


My favorite Daryl effect is the card to the middle of the deck wrapped in rope and it still rises to the top. I think that is the best ending to an ambitious card routine.

However, what I have learned most from Daryl is his attitude when performing. I just love his fun and casual approach.

kj
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
1983 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Michael Ammar wrote a great piece about this.

"There’s a hole in the curtain. There in the Parlor of the Magic Castle; it’s hidden in one of the folds. Performers can check audiences or watch fellow performers. Sometimes Daryl or I would watch an audience for the other - gauging the response to a move or a bit of misdirection. We probably watched more performances that way than from the audience.

Friday night Daryl made a heartbreaking decision. He chose to pass on his own terms; nullifying an infinity of possible solutions or opportunities and devastating those closest to him with thoughts that maybe we could have said or done something, or with guilt over having missed any warning signs.

But there were no clues on Thursday about would happen the next day, and what did happen was nothing like the bizarre images suggested by the media. Castle security cameras revealed on that day there was no insanity, alcohol or conflicts, and no crushing anxiety or depression. Daryl was calm, collected and serene.

I believe every corner of every room was so full of joy, laughter and happiness, he simply decided to stay forever. Those who knew Daryl, understand there was a beautiful, elegant simplicity to his favorite magic methods. Well… somehow… in ways we’ll never understand, he decided there was a simple path to the peace he wanted.

There was nothing salacious, there was no turmoil; there was just a misguided desire to find peace and to stay where he could watch magic forever - through the hole in the curtain."

Also Jamy Ian Swiss wrote a great feature on Daryl a month ago on The Lyon's Den. http://www.magicana.com/news/blog/take-two-14-daryl as well as another one recently regarding Daryl and Bob Cassidy. http://www.magicana.com/news/blog/take-t......-masters
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2672 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
As a dealer and magic shop owner I knew Daryl for many years. Had him lecture a number of times, etc. Really one of the nicest people I have ever known. His passing struck me very hard. Particularly because of the manner of it.

I have suffered severe depression and anxiety for 40+ years. Up, down...on and on. Most folks would not have known. And, there's the thing, in many, many cases what the sufferer presents is what seems normal to folks. My favorite manner of explanation is this: Suppose someone comes in and they have a compound fracture of one of the forearm bones? Blood pouring down. Bone sticking out of a rip in the arm muscle. Yuck! You'd see it and instantly say, "Hey let's get you to the hospital!" There's no ambiguity, no wondering what to do. But, trust me...(and many of you know this as well) a person can be in a form of distress far, far more acute and painful and you'd never know. And, what's worse, because a person in this level of pain can "sound" so lucid and calm, etc. it's very, very, very easy to discount what they tell you of their distress, if they tell you at all.

It's all very sad. Those of us who survived the level of pain and distress that causes someone to take their life...it is more painful than I can say to have someone you admire and care about take theirs.

Daryl, for whatever reason you did what you did a lot of us care that you were part of our world. Rest in peace brother.

brad burt
Brad Burt
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1496 Posts

Profile of Cain
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2017, Tim Cavendish wrote:
And on top of that, the Castle is a business for which sustainable success is dependent on its image. If the Castle could choose among the two competing narratives, which would be least damaging? It appears that the Castle's choice is being officially honored, but that narrative is not so compatible with the items initially reported and with the absence of a note.


Suicide is a surprisingly impulsive act, so I can buy the odd timing and lack of a note. I can also believe a notorious gossip site would recklessly post salacious details to drive page clicks and spur discussion.

The alternative narrative is now complicated by the coroner's (presumably) final report. In order for the alternative view to fit, one would have to believe a literal conspiracy: the authorities alter details at the behest of an image-conscious private club, in the process honoring the memory of a family man and public figure; if an insurance company were involved, it would probably be all too happy to look the other way since suicide is less likely to pay out a claim than an accident (arguably in the workplace). It all sounds a little outlandish, yet precisely this sort of thing has been known to occur. Other than those making an insurance claim, nobody materially stands to benefit if this were the case, so a noble falsehood easily trounces the awful truth.

In religious countries, the opposite tends to happen. Someone commits suicide, but because of the social stigma attached to self-destruction, it's classified as an accident.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
dyrwolf
View Profile
New user
The timbers of Fennario
93 Posts

Profile of dyrwolf
Most life insurance contracts put some restriction on collecting on a suicide, often not paying if within 2 years of policy issue. After the time limit has passed, payout as any other death.

FWIW.
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark — that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.
Dollarbill
View Profile
Special user
Colorado
853 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2017, sirbrad wrote:
Michael Ammar wrote a great piece about this.

"There’s a hole in the curtain. There in the Parlor of the Magic Castle; it’s hidden in one of the folds. Performers can check audiences or watch fellow performers. Sometimes Daryl or I would watch an audience for the other - gauging the response to a move or a bit of misdirection. We probably watched more performances that way than from the audience.

Friday night Daryl made a heartbreaking decision. He chose to pass on his own terms; nullifying an infinity of possible solutions or opportunities and devastating those closest to him with thoughts that maybe we could have said or done something, or with guilt over having missed any warning signs.

But there were no clues on Thursday about would happen the next day, and what did happen was nothing like the bizarre images suggested by the media. Castle security cameras revealed on that day there was no insanity, alcohol or conflicts, and no crushing anxiety or depression. Daryl was calm, collected and serene.

I believe every corner of every room was so full of joy, laughter and happiness, he simply decided to stay forever. Those who knew Daryl, understand there was a beautiful, elegant simplicity to his favorite magic methods. Well… somehow… in ways we’ll never understand, he decided there was a simple path to the peace he wanted.

There was nothing salacious, there was no turmoil; there was just a misguided desire to find peace and to stay where he could watch magic forever - through the hole in the curtain."

Also Jamy Ian Swiss wrote a great feature on Daryl a month ago on The Lyon's Den. http://www.magicana.com/news/blog/take-two-14-daryl as well as another one recently regarding Daryl and Bob Cassidy. http://www.magicana.com/news/blog/take-t......-masters
great statement. Thank you for sharing. This is a great statement/ write up. heartfelt and knowledge behind the "hole in the curtain". This is not to discount everyone elses concerns/feelings, experiences. Smile. God Speed
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1784 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I posted this in the coin magic section, but having seen this thread, decided maybe it belongs here:

It’s the weirdest thing (or maybe not, if you don’t believe in coincidences). But I’ve been trying to sell my set of Michael Ammar Money Magic DVDs for the last few months. I posted the ad in the DVDs for sale section three times, letting it run its course, but no one was interested.

After the third time, I decided it must be a sign. Maybe I was meant to keep the DVDs. So a few days ago I casually picked up Volume 2, started watching it, and … Daryl’s Cross Of India really caught my eye. What a great trick! I started learning it there and then.

And then the very next day … the terrible news about Daryl. It was a real shock. I had the good fortune to see him lecture several times, and have owned many of his props and publications. Every one of his lectures was a happy, fun, entertaining and inspiring learning experience. Once, at a magic convention in New Jersey (around the time of his first Millennium Tour), during the lunch break my wife and I decided to skip the trendy, expensive restaurants recommended by the organizers, and drove until we found a funky little diner off the beaten track. Hardly anyone was there … except for Daryl and his then new bride, Allison! They were very gracious to us. We chatted and joked and traded stories, and then - (although I was dying to ask him about a “move” for one of his tricks) - we each respected each others’ privacy when our meals arrived.

Daryl was such a decent, generous, joyful, amazingly talented and creative person, (and a real gentleman), that it’s very hard for me to accept the official explanation for his death. Nevertheless, like some of you have posted, I have been inspired to learn not only Cross Of India, but as a tribute to him also I’m going to give his 3-Fly another look.

I’ll always have warm and happy memories of Daryl.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Faster
View Profile
New user
Texas
57 Posts

Profile of Faster
If anyone gets info on cemetery particulars please share. funeral info would also be great so I can send flowers.

Richard
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3526 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I was just talking to some people who were at the Castle the day of his last performance, and on Friday when he took his life. They knew him personally, and knew that he had an ongoing battle with severe depression. I spoke to Daryl on a couple occasions, but I didn't know that side of hiim. He masked what was going on inside very well by coming across quite the opposite on the outside, always appearing happy.

A couple of the guys spoke to the two individuals who found Daryl. They believe it was clearly a suicide, regardless of note or not, and as we know, the coroners final report said it was suicide. There was nothing else going on as has been alleged or alluded to. There was nothing sexual, and he was fully dressed. Some of the people who knew he was battling depression spoke to him the day or days before his death asked him how he was doing. They said he alluded to going through a tough bit, but felt he was doing better.

He took his life early Friday morning when he was all alone in the dressing room behind one of the theaters. No one went in there for around eight hours when one of the managers and another staff member went looking for Daryl as he was due to perform.

I think one of the take-aways from this is that if you are battling depression as most people do at one point or another in their life, please reach out and talk to someone and focus on a purpose larger than yourself. I think Daryl did focus on something bigger than himself as he brought so much joy to so many audiences and so much inspiration to so many magicians. It's a shame that he couldn't reach out to get the help he needed in a way that would have allowed him to continue the good work he was doing.

God bless you Daryl, and may you be entertaining in heaven, without any of the inner burden.

KJ
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3637 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Perhaps this link was entered earlier but If you go here it will tell you how to help "The Academy of Magical Arts, Easton Family Fund".

http://www.daryl.net/

-Mary Mowder
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Daryl died at the Magic Castle (93 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL