The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » The Coin Roll (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Niko
View Profile
Special user
England
599 Posts

Profile of Niko
I have been practicing the coin roll at every opportunity I have had, and starting to get the hang of it. But I do not understand how you can roll a coin without having your palm face down, otherwise my coin just slides off my hand.
Any tips for this?
Thanks,
-NIk
When you do something right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
Are you talking about a palm-up coin roll? Or do you mean just simply leaning your hand forward and doing the roll? If you mean the latter, just catch the edge of the coin between the next two fingers and use a little pressure to keep it from sliding forward, and when it gets to your pinky, slide it into your hand so it doesn't keep going off the hand and onto the floor.

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Try using a really big coin. (I use poker chips the size of silver dollars.) Then when you try to go to a half dollar or even a quarter sized coin, it will just fly across your fingers.
Niko
View Profile
Special user
England
599 Posts

Profile of Niko
Thanks, I'll try that. How long did it take you guys to master it?
-Nik
When you do something right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
I'm not sure how long it took to get it down. Probably about a month to get proficient, and then mastery comes with time.

Mike

harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I am not sure of your question. You can continue the "regular coin roll" by turning
your hand palm up and roll the coin on that side of the palm side of your hand.

After reading your question again, I tried to roll it on the back side. The best I got was about a 45 degree angle. Actually tilting the hand slightly gives you a bit of gravity to get the coin rolling.

As far as time into this flourish/sleight, it is something any 23 year old can do with 27 years practice. As above, I got the basics down in a few weeks to month and then added artistry to it.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
It's been over twenty five years since I leaned to do the steeplechase or coin walk thing.I regret learning the thing.

To date is a reminder to learn what serves me instead of what looks interesting.

I will have learned my lesson when I have the coin vanish handling of the thing in performance usable condition.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
Harris:

I'm surprised that you have a 45 degree limitation. I may do the roll differently than a lot of people, but I can go pretty much perpendicular to the floor and still roll the coin with the same look as when I do it with my hand flat, or at an upward angle. The only reason that I mention this is because now I'm wondering if my coin roll technique is not "standard". It always seems to look better when I watch others do it, as opposed to when I watch myself do it. I've often wondered if I've been doing a "training wheel" variation, because the coin will lock between each set of two fingers as it rolls down, instead of floating over the knuckles, which is how it looks when I watch others doing it. Hmmmm...

Jon,

I think the roll definitely has purpose. I use it not only to visually demonstrate an "empty" right hand, but also as a lead into HPC moves, dropping coins onto the mat, as in a one-at-a-time coins across (modified Flying Eagles type routines). It's a super form of "built-in" misdirection. but I know what you mean pertaining to people who use it only for the look. It gets old, like anything else, after once or twice.... Speaking of flourishes, Reed has some pretty nice ones in KB 3 & 4. I don't use flourishes myself, lack of desire, or lack of skill? I'll let you decide Smile, but some of them do have a very nice look.

Best to All,

Mike

Liam Jones
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of Liam Jones
I can do it alright for a months practice !!!

I use half dollars
charlythewizard
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of charlythewizard
I try to do the coin roll with a quarter and got the hang of it within a week.
tommy ng
View Profile
Veteran user
USA,Oregon
387 Posts

Profile of tommy ng
I use half dollars, is about a month practice, now I can do any coin, just keep practice.
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
I have always envied my friends who do the coin roll. After about ten years I decided 2 nights ago to really spend time on the roll. Now it almost, I repeat, almost feels natural. There is no other way but practice.

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Randwill
I found that learning to do with with my right hand, learning to do it with my left hand and learning to do it with both hands at the same time were three different skills. At the time this surprised me, and it still seems a little odd. But true. That's where I quit though. I love to see the heavies do multiple coins at the same time on both hands. Boy Howdy!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » The Coin Roll (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL