We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » At Last ! I can actually do something 'magical'.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Popeye
View Profile
New user
England
12 Posts

Profile of Popeye
Hi All

After a couple of weeks virtually glued to Volumes 1 & 2 of Daryls Card Encyclopedia I'm actually at the point where I can pull off a couple of tricks!

I know this is sounds like small stuff (and indeed would be for most of you!!) - but I've been fascinated by magic for the best part of 35 years and only recently decided to bite the bullet and try and learn some...rather than spending great wads of cash on packet tricks and gizmos.

All my family think I've gone completely round the twist - but I'm sure someone here will remember how they felt when they first got to grips with a few moves - AWESOME

Bye for now

Bev

PS David Who???
espalding
View Profile
New user
St. Louis
59 Posts

Profile of espalding
Since what you describe was a relatively recent experience for me, I completely understand your feelings at the moment.

I remember starting to work my way through Royal Road to Card Magic, and being able to do some controls with the overhand shuffle. It was an extraordinary feeling.

Reality hit later when I discovered how hard it is to actually being able to turn those moves into a performance. Well, okay, anyone can do that, but doing it well I found to be very hard.

Eric.
Niko
View Profile
Special user
England
599 Posts

Profile of Niko
After Royal Road I reccommend Card College volumes 1-5
that should do you for cards.
Copins: Modern Coin Magic by JB Bobo
-Nik
When you do something right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
There really is great joy in learning something new. When I learned my first few card effects, I thought I was the awesomest cat on this good green Earth! Then I realized how much I still had to learn.

You just got bit by the magic bug, my friend! Enjoy it!
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Skeptic
View Profile
New user
Holland MI
46 Posts

Profile of Skeptic
Great feeling isn't it. I remeber when I first was able to control a card and perform a few basic sleights. Like the glide and a double lift.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
There is nothing like the feeling of mastery. I remember practicing and practicing the moves I found in Bobo's books and when something finally came, I just smiled and said...."I did it, I really did it."
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
I remember learning "a bird in the hand" which is a 2 in the hand, 1 in the pocket routine from The Complete Idiots Guide to Magic and performing it for my kids for the first time. It felt so good to perform something that was interesting to someone.
Then I wanted to perform Dean Dills simple matrix. So I had to learn to palm coins. Then the Cups & Balls caught my eye (and I have been working them for the better part of 2 years now). I am with you in that this is a hobby with no end to the enjoyment as at every turn I learn something new.

Enjoy the Journey!!

Mike
Magic is fun!!!
Aperazor
View Profile
Loyal user
Akron,Ohio
244 Posts

Profile of Aperazor
Congratulations,
I know I have had a few sucesses myself over the last month and felt the same way.
Sure makes it easier to stick it out after something comes together.
Best wishes and continued good luck in all your magical endeavors.
Nick
AlienSoul
View Profile
New user
Walla Walla, WA
4 Posts

Profile of AlienSoul
That's awsome.
I too just got re-interested in magic. My father was a magi and I use to be really into it. Then I kinda lost my way. I have started once again with cards but I think I will expand.
Good luck to you,
Josh Gesler
silent shadow
View Profile
Loyal user
United Kingdom
231 Posts

Profile of silent shadow
Congrat's Popeye

I know the feeling , ive been royal roading for a while
Learn't the DL today sliding the card's from the front , in a natural way , had been doing the open book version for months , well chuffed ....

Magic takes my mind off the stresses of work , I love it.
Magic or just an illusion? it's a free choice .... isn't it?
Popeye
View Profile
New user
England
12 Posts

Profile of Popeye
Thanks for taking the time to reply - it's really good to know that others have either 'been there' or are actually going through similar things at the moment.

I must say that I've found these boards terrifically useful - all the advice on where to start, what things to buy (and more importantly what not to buy, because basically you won't know how to do it!)is fantastic.

Thanks again!

Bev
Jonatan B
View Profile
Veteran user
Gothenburg, Sweden
342 Posts

Profile of Jonatan B
Well, congratulations. The magical with learning magic is somewhat of a personal experience that you share with others through astonishment.

Sometimes you will astonish yourself and that is a great feeling (watch the movie "Hook" and you will see what I mean).

Good luck, and skill of course!
Jonatan Bank
Shnarker
View Profile
New user
Pittsburgh, PA
89 Posts

Profile of Shnarker
Popeye,

I feel your joy! I've recently learned Richard Osterlind's BCS. Having performed it for several frinds and coworkers, it's a great feeling performing and nailing it. Generating "wows" is a cool feeling. It makes all the practice worthwhile.
Caspar
View Profile
Veteran user
Tacoma
316 Posts

Profile of Caspar
Quote:
On 2004-03-31 13:44, Firedice27 wrote:
There really is great joy in learning something new. When I learned my first few card effects, I thought I was the awesomest cat on this good green Earth! Then I realized how much I still had to learn.

You just got bit by the magic bug, my friend! Enjoy it!

I know what you mean. I am learing about presentation and showmanship which will transform you tricks into Magic.
jaxonlee
View Profile
New user
Butte, MT
71 Posts

Profile of jaxonlee
Congratulations Popeye and welcome to a wonderful addiction! Learning to perform even the most basic of sleights well in front of an audience is one of the most blissful experiences. Keep up the good work, it only gets better.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » At Last ! I can actually do something 'magical'.... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL