The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Review Requested - Emotion Box by Hakan Varol (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
This new one was not made with Boretti’s permission. Should it have been?
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Magic Mark
View Profile
Elite user
494 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
The Hocus Pocus model is no longer on their site. I still have the link from the email and it goes to a blank page.

The description originally said it was a limited item and when they are gone they are gone, no more would be made.

I ordered one on the first day, Paul said it would ship on Monday. I’ll post photos and thoughts when I receive it. This is what it looks like (from the email):

Image



Mark
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of stempleton
I had sent them a request for demo vid, and they passed it on to the manufacturer. Perhaps the inventor raised some noise about a possibly unauthorized release. If it indeed sold out that quickly I have a feeling this "limited" run will return.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Elite user
494 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
The earlier link to Harry Keaton’s performance on Fool Us no longer works. This one works, the Emotion Box:

https://youtu.be/hO2HGRJCWRw


Mark
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Hey, Mark. Since each of these versions have varying pluses and minuses I was interested in a demo of this latest HP version. I've seen the others.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Elite user
494 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
I plan to take photos of the HP Sensor Box and share them here. It will be awhile before I can perform it for anyone except my wife.

Mark
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Seems to me the new version at Hocus Pocus is a knock off. Why not order original from Boretti? Here’s the link along with a video.

https://boretti-shop.info/Gefuehlsbox-De......-Boretti
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Magic Mark
View Profile
Elite user
494 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2020, Terry Holley wrote:
Seems to me the new version at Hocus Pocus is a knock off. Why not order original from Boretti? Here’s the link along with a video.

https://boretti-shop.info/Gefuehlsbox-De......-Boretti


I considered it but, frankly, I think Boretti's designs (both of them) are downright unattractive. I'd go as far as saying his latest design is downright ugly.

Yes, his latest design looks a bit less like a magician's prop compared to his first design. But I think the Hocus Pocus model is actually attractive and the graphics make sense.

I may eventually sell the Hocus Pocus model and get the Keaton/Varol model. But, as a hobbyist magician, it's difficult to justify the price.

Mark
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
I agree with the price issue, that’s why I have the original Boretti version. I can’t agree that this new yellow and black version with its graphics looks less like a magic trick than the original red and black version with its graphics.
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Magic Mark
View Profile
Elite user
494 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2020, Terry Holley wrote:
I agree with the price issue, that’s why I have the original Boretti version. I can’t agree that this new yellow and black version with its graphics looks less like a magic trick than the original red and black version with its graphics.


I didn't say the the Hocus Pocus version looks less like a magic trick, I said I find the Hocus Pocus version to actually be attractive to the eye.

Let's face it, the version that looks the LEAST like a magic prop is the Keaton/Varol version. It looks like a stacking cube you buy at a closet organizer store to hold shoes. It is incredibly simple in appearance and, thus, more deceptive.

Both of Boretti's versions AND the Hocus Pocus model look like magic props. I just happen to feel that the Hocus Pocus version is the more attractive of those three.

Mark
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2020, Magic Mark wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2020, Terry Holley wrote:
I agree with the price issue, that’s why I have the original Boretti version. I can’t agree that this new yellow and black version with its graphics looks less like a magic trick than the original red and black version with its graphics.


I didn't say the the Hocus Pocus version looks less like a magic trick, I said I find the Hocus Pocus version to actually be attractive to the eye.

Let's face it, the version that looks the LEAST like a magic prop is the Keaton/Varol version. It looks like a stacking cube you buy at a closet organizer store to hold shoes. It is incredibly simple in appearance and, thus, more deceptive.

Both of Boretti's versions AND the Hocus Pocus model look like magic props. I just happen to feel that the Hocus Pocus version is the more attractive of those three.

Mark

I’m not here to argue. You’re right, you didn’t say “magic trick,” but you did state, “his latest design looks a bit less like a magician's prop compared to his first design.”

So I equated “magician’s prop” with “magic trick.” Maybe I’m incorrect, but it seemed correct when I read your statement.

Bottom line with my posting is that the Hocus Pocus version is a knock off made without Boretti’s permission. If they decide to continue marketing knowing that, and people continue buying, that is something they will have to live with.
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Magic Mark
View Profile
Elite user
494 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2020, Terry Holley wrote:

Bottom line with my posting is that the Hocus Pocus version is a knock off made without Boretti’s permission. If they decide to continue marketing knowing that, and people continue buying, that is something they will have to live with.


There were apparently a limited number of the Hocus Pocus versions available. It has ALREADY been removed from Hocus Pocus's site. Presumably because they sold them all. How many is "all"? Who knows? 5, 10, 25, 50?

If Boretti's current version wasn't so unattractive to the eye, I *would* have bought it instead of the Hocus Pocus version. I knew nothing about this effect until Hocus Pocus sent out their email and that's when my research began. I really wanted to like the Boretti model but it's just too darn unattractive. It would be far better if he had just made a plain wooden box with a light stain and varnish.

Mark
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2020, Magic Mark wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2020, Terry Holley wrote:

Bottom line with my posting is that the Hocus Pocus version is a knock off made without Boretti’s permission. If they decide to continue marketing knowing that, and people continue buying, that is something they will have to live with.


There were apparently a limited number of the Hocus Pocus versions available. It has ALREADY been removed from Hocus Pocus's site. Presumably because they sold them all. How many is "all"? Who knows? 5, 10, 25, 50?

If Boretti's current version wasn't so unattractive to the eye, I *would* have bought it instead of the Hocus Pocus version. I knew nothing about this effect until Hocus Pocus sent out their email and that's when my research began. I really wanted to like the Boretti model but it's just too darn unattractive. It would be far better if he had just made a plain wooden box with a light stain and varnish.

Mark

I don’t know, but maybe he would have made one up like that for you.

I think the reason it’s no longer for sale is because Hocus Pocus felt it wise to stop selling a knock off. This is conjecture on my part but it sounds feasible.
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2020, Terry Holley wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2020, Magic Mark wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2020, Terry Holley wrote:

Bottom line with my posting is that the Hocus Pocus version is a knock off made without Boretti’s permission. If they decide to continue marketing knowing that, and people continue buying, that is something they will have to live with.


There were apparently a limited number of the Hocus Pocus versions available. It has ALREADY been removed from Hocus Pocus's site. Presumably because they sold them all. How many is "all"? Who knows? 5, 10, 25, 50?

If Boretti's current version wasn't so unattractive to the eye, I *would* have bought it instead of the Hocus Pocus version. I knew nothing about this effect until Hocus Pocus sent out their email and that's when my research began. I really wanted to like the Boretti model but it's just too darn unattractive. It would be far better if he had just made a plain wooden box with a light stain and varnish.

Mark

I don’t know, but maybe he would have made one up like that for you.

I think the reason it’s no longer for sale is because Hocus Pocus felt it wise to stop selling a knock off. This is conjecture on my part but it sounds feasible.


I am of the same mind.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Elite user
494 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
More feasible is that Hocus Pocus simply sold out on the limited number of them that they had made. When it was still on their website it very clearly stated that it was a LIMITED edition item and that, once they were sold, there wouldn't be any more.

Mark
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2020, Magic Mark wrote:
More feasible is that Hocus Pocus simply sold out on the limited number of them that they had made. When it was still on their website it very clearly stated that it was a LIMITED edition item and that, once they were sold, there wouldn't be any more.

Mark

I found this example of “limited edition” online:

Editions saint hippolyte, limited edition of 750 copies.

Smile
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Magic Mark
View Profile
Elite user
494 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Hocus Pocus shipped the Sensor Box I ordered. It will be here sometime this week.

Hocus Pocus has a few more available for preorder. Their site states:

Our 1st batch has completely SOLD OUT!

We have a VERY small batch arriving by the 17th of April, you can now preorder from this batch.

Once sold, this will NEVER be made again!

Mark
Magic Mark
View Profile
Elite user
494 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2020, Magic Mark wrote:
I emailed Paul Gross at Hocus Pocus this morning. Paul confirms that the Hocus Pocus Touch & Tell Sensor Box has the feature to allow the hand to be placed all the way through to the bottom of the box (with the front panel lifted) as shown for the newer Boretti Sensor Box version.

Mark


My Hocus Pocus Touch & Tell Sensor Box arrived today. Its construction is a bit on the lightweight side, but it's not flimsy (just thin). It looks quite nice.

Unfortunately, it does NOT have the feature to allow the magician to place his hand down through the top opening when the front panel is raised (hand-through proof that box is empty). That is a feature of the newer Boretti box and I asked Paul at Hocus Pocus their box had that feature BEFORE I placed the order. I included a photo of the feature (on the Boretti box) in my email to Paul. Paul responded that their box did have that feature. Very disappointingly, that is not the case. You cannot do this with the Hocus Pocus Touch & Tell Sensor Box:

Image



I've requested a return and refund.

Mark
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Snap...I knew I should have waited, but I did preorder from the next batch.
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2020, Magic Mark wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2020, Magic Mark wrote:
I emailed Paul Gross at Hocus Pocus this morning. Paul confirms that the Hocus Pocus Touch & Tell Sensor Box has the feature to allow the hand to be placed all the way through to the bottom of the box (with the front panel lifted) as shown for the newer Boretti Sensor Box version.

Mark


My Hocus Pocus Touch & Tell Sensor Box arrived today. Its construction is a bit on the lightweight side, but it's not flimsy (just thin). It looks quite nice.

Unfortunately, it does NOT have the feature to allow the magician to place his hand down through the top opening when the front panel is raised (hand-through proof that box is empty). That is a feature of the newer Boretti box and I asked Paul at Hocus Pocus their box had that feature BEFORE I placed the order. I included a photo of the feature (on the Boretti box) in my email to Paul. Paul responded that their box did have that feature. Very disappointingly, that is not the case. You cannot do this with the Hocus Pocus Touch & Tell Sensor Box:

Image



I've requested a return and refund.

Mark

I’m not surprised! Please keep us posted.
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Review Requested - Emotion Box by Hakan Varol (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL