The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Review Requested - Emotion Box by Hakan Varol (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
I own what I think is the original. It is red with a black design, and the hand hole is on the side. I think I prefer that because it’s harder to tell how far the hand can reach down.

During Christmas I taped a large green bow to the front to make it look like a Christmas gift box. I was going to wrap the entire box in Christmas wrapping paper but decided it wasn’t necessary. I told the story about how when I was a kid I was always trying to figure out what was in the wrapped Christmas presents. I’d shake the box or feel the presents that were wrapped but not in a box.

I then asked a spectator to come up and help to see if she could guess what items were in the box. I did that for three items and finished with the card effect which I really like.

If I had the brown wood box I’d probably do a routine about a legend of the box being an antique with unusual characteristics. Maybe like the Sefalaljia effect. I’d definitely want to hone that concept,
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
747 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2020, Terry Holley wrote:
I own what I think is the original. It is red with a black design, and the hand hole is on the side. I think I prefer that because it’s harder to tell how far the hand can reach down.

During Christmas I taped a large green bow to the front to make it look like a Christmas gift box. I was going to wrap the entire box in Christmas wrapping paper but decided it wasn’t necessary. I told the story about how when I was a kid I was always trying to figure out what was in the wrapped Christmas presents. I’d shake the box or feel the presents that were wrapped but not in a box.

I then asked a spectator to come up and help to see if she could guess what items were in the box. I did that for three items and finished with the card effect which I really like.

If I had the brown wood box I’d probably do a routine about a legend of the box being an antique with unusual characteristics. Maybe like the Sefalaljia effect. I’d definitely want to hone that concept,


Thank you for sharing some of your ideas. I was thinking of saying that "This box belonged to my grandmother's grandmother..... my, great-great-grandmother." And combined with what is suggested on the website: "The audience is told that this is a box from an old haunted house. This box conveys paradoxical terms. Reality becomes illusion and vice versa. It is the first time that this box has a story. Something for storytelling magic." I was also thinking of storing somethings I will use for other magic routines during my act so I would be opening the door nonchalantly or even reaching through the top to get some items. This way the box serves a purpose besides just a box for one routine.
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3382 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Just got photo's back from Erich of Boretti magic of the plain white design. So fast. When they put it on their website,those like me who didn't like the antiqued look are in for a pleasant surprise. It's beautifully plain and white. My order is going in now. Thank you Erich and Boretti magic for listening, wonderful.
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3382 Posts

Profile of takeachance
They already have it on their site
https://boretti-shop.info/Original-Boretti-Kunststuecke
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
747 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2020, takeachance wrote:
They already have it on their site
https://boretti-shop.info/Original-Boretti-Kunststuecke



And it is cheaper than the original design.
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1408 Posts

Profile of stempleton
I received my box from Boretti a couple of days ago, and I'd like to make a few points.

First, I don't agree with those who have commented on the appearance of the new generation box. It looks better than in the video, and with the proper weaving of a story (in my shows I will explain that I found the box in the attic of my great grandfather (a psychologist.) Also noting that I studied psychology in college, I found the power of suggestion to be a powerful tool that transferred to my current position of entertainer.

I will note that, when removing the prop from the shipping box I broke a portion of the box. Easily fixed but quite fragile. Be aware.
To be fair, if you're looking for a method that blows you away, you might be disappointed to know that it works exactly like you think it does. With that said, when working with the prop I quickly noticed that, with a bit of DIY modification you can casually show the back of the box. I contacted Boretti and Erich agreed, and stated that he passed along the tip to his manufacturer for inclusion in future production.

For those who are torn between the "look" of the studded version and the white version, go for whatever you like, but I have no qualm with either. The version I received actually lends itself to my style. BTW, I also ordered the version offered by HP and produced by Fairchild because I felt the look was more appropriate for my kid/family shows, but when told by another poster here that it lacked the ability to do a convincing move I backed out.

I was disappointed with the prop that was included for the finale described in the original routine. Very cheap, and I will be replacing with a more acceptable option.
Finally, working with Boretti was very pleasant. I opted for the lesser/slower shipping because the quicker shipping was half the cost of the prop. Shipping was immediate and delivery was quicker than anticipated.

This will be fun to perform, and much more reasonably priced than other options, and missing no major advantages, IMO.

Now, if someone can give me tips on HTH the cellphone in ball of yarn climax was pulled off on Fallon, I'll be one content guy.
Michael.Kegel
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
110 Posts

Profile of Michael.Kegel
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2020, stempleton wrote:

Now, if someone can give me tips on HTH the cellphone in ball of yarn climax was pulled off on Fallon, I'll be one content guy.


I'd like to jump on the very same bandwagon ...



I'm all ears Smile
mrmagic0
View Profile
Inner circle
Ron Frank
1508 Posts

Profile of mrmagic0
Me three on the yarn part.

Ron
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Why do the same as Dan White? If you do, you might have to hire Questlove!
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Michael.Kegel
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
110 Posts

Profile of Michael.Kegel
Quote:
On May 5, 2020, Terry Holley wrote:
Why do the same as Dan White? If you do, you might have to hire Questlove!


You might as well wonder why we on this thread would like to buy Boretti's or Hakan's box. The answer is exactly the same: to achieve the very same effect. Full stop.

No offence, but I don't see why, particularly on a magicians' forum, one would scrutinise or question the very fact that a magician aims at performing an effect another magician has come up with with or even put on the market. There are so many threads on the Magic Café for fellow magicians interested in the work of another magician.

Long story short: I believe our objective as far as Dan White's hands-down excellent performance is not very uncommon; especially when taking into account that Manuel Llaser for instance put out a similar effect called "The Yarn": see https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/stage-......the-yarn for details.
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On May 5, 2020, Michael.Kegel wrote:
Quote:
On May 5, 2020, Terry Holley wrote:
Why do the same as Dan White? If you do, you might have to hire Questlove!


You might as well wonder why we on this thread would like to buy Boretti's or Hakan's box. The answer is exactly the same: to achieve the very same effect. Full stop.

No offence, but I don't see why, particularly on a magicians' forum, one would scrutinise or question the very fact that a magician aims at performing an effect another magician has come up with with or even put on the market. There are so many threads on the Magic Café for fellow magicians interested in the work of another magician.

Long story short: I believe our objective as far as Dan White's hands-down excellent performance is not very uncommon; especially when taking into account that Manuel Llaser for instance put out a similar effect called "The Yarn": see https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/stage-......the-yarn for details.

I'm not convinced that Dan White would be pleased to know that you or anyone else is performing his routine unless he gave permission.

And I'm not convinced that "The Yarn" effect that you referred to is the same method. There are numerous methods to get something into a ball of yarn.

It appears to me that White either is working with Questlove as a stooge, or somehow he switched Questlove's phone early on and the phone in his pocket that he gave Dan wasn't really his. Don't put it past a mentalist to use a stooge!

I think your argument about performing marketed effects and performing someone else's routine without permission is comparing apples with oranges. If you have Dan's permission then more power to you and I wish you the best!
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1408 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Quote:
On May 5, 2020, Terry Holley wrote:

I think your argument about performing marketed effects and performing someone else's routine without permission is comparing apples with oranges. If you have Dan's permission then more power to you and I wish you the best!



Yes.

BTW, I don't see evidence of anyone wanting to duplicate Dan White's routine. As magician's we are simply hardwired to ponder methods. I think his timing was perfect, and while I would expect stooges on reality shows, I would hate to find that it was done here, but perhaps I am being naïve. I was hoping for a method that involved some skill, at the least preshow work perhaps, but mystifying all the same.
Michael.Kegel
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
110 Posts

Profile of Michael.Kegel
Quote:
On May 5, 2020, Terry Holley wrote:
Quote:
On May 5, 2020, Michael.Kegel wrote:
Quote:
On May 5, 2020, Terry Holley wrote:
Why do the same as Dan White? If you do, you might have to hire Questlove!


You might as well wonder why we on this thread would like to buy Boretti's or Hakan's box. The answer is exactly the same: to achieve the very same effect. Full stop.

No offence, but I don't see why, particularly on a magicians' forum, one would scrutinise or question the very fact that a magician aims at performing an effect another magician has come up with with or even put on the market. There are so many threads on the Magic Café for fellow magicians interested in the work of another magician.

Long story short: I believe our objective as far as Dan White's hands-down excellent performance is not very uncommon; especially when taking into account that Manuel Llaser for instance put out a similar effect called "The Yarn": see https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/stage-......the-yarn for details.

I'm not convinced that Dan White would be pleased to know that you or anyone else is performing his routine unless he gave permission.

And I'm not convinced that "The Yarn" effect that you referred to is the same method. There are numerous methods to get something into a ball of yarn.

It appears to me that White either is working with Questlove as a stooge, or somehow he switched Questlove's phone early on and the phone in his pocket that he gave Dan wasn't really his. Don't put it past a mentalist to use a stooge!

I think your argument about performing marketed effects and performing someone else's routine without permission is comparing apples with oranges. If you have Dan's permission then more power to you and I wish you the best!


It really doesn't matter whether or not you are convinced of something.

When on Earth did anybody here on the Magic Café ever explained that we do nothing else than exactly duplicating routines another magician has performed in public?

Of course, The Yarn is another effect and not the effect Dan was using. I explicitly said so upfront. I know quite some methods how to get an object into a ball of yarn, I just don't have a clue how to achieve the effect Dan achieved in this routine, and I'd like to in order to adapt his work, ideas and concepts into an act that works for me. As simple as that.

Of course, Questlove is not in on this one. That goes without saying, though I as a mental magician am well aware of instant and non-instant stooging.

I think you got my argument about performing marketed effects completely wrong as I never said something about accordingly the obligation to also duplicate the creator's routine as well. Hence, there's no apples-with-oranges comparison.

And last but not least regarding performing a marketed effect "without permission" of the creator or performer: I know for a fact for instance how to achieve certain effects, especially as far as gaff cards are concerned, that every now and then an effect is marketed that uses exactly the very same method another already marketed effect did also use, e.g. f**p c***s and in particular e******s is quite frequently applied to gimmicked cards. Oftentimes, I then do not need to buy the effect in question since I know how to achieve it. And that's not only me. I know quite some fellow magicians that are just like that. None of them and neither would I perform a certain routine exactly the way a fellow magician performs it.

As a matter of fact, so far nobody has obtained Dan's permission to know the method how he achieved the yarn effect as part of his Emotion Box routine. Still, the Café is brimming with kind people pondering on the work of someone else, especially those of us who perform in public.

I fail to see here any wrongdoing why I would like to keep it that way so other Café users have the chance to share their ideas with us on how to achieve an effect like that for those of us who'd like to know.

All the best and stay healthy.
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3382 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Well my plain white Borettis emotion box finally arrived from Germany. It is fantastic craftsmanship to say the least. The service, effort and communication from Erich was awesome and in these trying times, he followed the order and kept me informed until it arrived on my doorstep Down Under. I luv this and its workings. A very happy customer would be an understatement. You can show it empty from the rear at the beginning, show someones hand going in with the front panel up, feeling a bottle or whatever to demonstrate what is about to happen, then go into the routine. That's enough to convince for me. Its certainly priced right and included are a few objects to get you started but I already have my idea on how I want to present this
Michael.Kegel
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
110 Posts

Profile of Michael.Kegel
Quote:
On Jun 26, 2020, takeachance wrote:
Well my plain white Borettis emotion box finally arrived from Germany. It is fantastic craftsmanship to say the least. The service, effort and communication from Erich was awesome and in these trying times, he followed the order and kept me informed until it arrived on my doorstep Down Under. I luv this and its workings. A very happy customer would be an understatement. You can show it empty from the rear at the beginning, show someones hand going in with the front panel up, feeling a bottle or whatever to demonstrate what is about to happen, then go into the routine. That's enough to convince for me. Its certainly priced right and included are a few objects to get you started but I already have my idea on how I want to present this


Sounds just awesome, thanks for your insight into Boretti's original box. Have fun performing with it.

Regards from Germany
Michael
jcss
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of jcss
If anyone has one for sale please write me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Review Requested - Emotion Box by Hakan Varol (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL