The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » What 2x books would you take? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

pancho247
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of pancho247
Hi, I'm going on a weeks relaxing holiday, where I plan to spend time reading a couple of magic books, something I rarely get round to these days. I'm very much looking forward to it. It's also my last holiday before my baby arrives. 😀 So I plan to make the most of the relaxation.
Like many people I have many books in my library that I haven't read and can't decide which two books to take. I would like one card book (nothing to difficult) and any other.

What would you guys recommend. This is what I have unread:

Minimalistica Carey
Crafted with Carey
Mentalissimo bannon
The Carey files
Dear mr fantasy bannon
High caliber

Scripting magic peter McCabe
Performing magic tony Middleton
Peek performances Richard Busch
Unreal Bruce Bernstein
Pure effect derren brown
777 Red Devil

I'm leaning towards Mentalissimo & peek performance

Thanks in advance 👍
Marc O
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
755 Posts

Profile of Marc O
I haven't read or heard of every book but in my opinion Peek Performances by Richard Busch is a must have for close-up mentalism.
Take some blank papers, business cards and envelopes with you and you are ready to have good time.
toneill
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of toneill
My choice would be Unreal & Pure effect.
pancho247
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of pancho247
What size envelopes do you need?

Yeah pure effect is tempting too. Only heard good things about it.
DiegoNovati
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of DiegoNovati
Scripting magic is a must if you are preparing to perform.
RichardIngram
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of RichardIngram
I agree with Scripting Magic, so you can take the time to work through it and prepare to perform, as Diego mentions.
pancho247
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of pancho247
I definitely need to scrub up on performing. I've read maximum entertainment and that was great
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1226 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
Another vote for Scripting Magic -- note how many times you see people desperately looking for a copy!
pancho247
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of pancho247
Quote:
On Mar 6, 2017, mcharisse wrote:
Another vote for Scripting Magic -- note how many times you see people desperately looking for a copy!

Typical, heaviest book to carry. Ha
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
I've just read fast Unreal, it is awesome.
sjrw
View Profile
Special user
571 Posts

Profile of sjrw
I'd take Mentalissimo or Dear Mr Fantasy by Bannon. Both great, DMF is probably better, but I just finished Mentalissimo a few months ago and it was great.
And then I'd probably also take Unreal
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1614 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
If there were only one magic book that I had to keep it in this world, that will be Dear Mister Fantasy.

From Ace Assembly progressively multiple times, Dr Daley Last Trick, Beyond Fabulous 4 Ace Trick, Some precision sleight required (perfect Faro) such as the most amazing and impossible Dawn Patrol, even to the last effect The Power of Poker, each and every effect was so amazing and field tested on real audience during my performance for them in the last 10 plus years.

My highest recommendation.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
pancho247
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of pancho247
How difficult are the sleights in DMF?
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2017, pancho247 wrote:

If my memory is correct, only two effects required perfect faro once at some point. Most of them are pretty basic beginner sleight of hand on playing cards.

Also I think there is one stud bottom deal on one of those Ace Assembly but quite easy as the effect build in the way how the cards are dealt it is just a second natural thing to do that at the momemnt.

Hope this helps.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2017, Steven Leung wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2017, pancho247 wrote:

If my memory is correct, only two effects required perfect faro once at some point. Most of them are pretty basic beginner sleight of hand on playing cards.

Also I think there is one stud bottom deal on one of those Ace Assembly but quite easy as the effect build in the way how the cards are dealt it is just a second natural thing to do that at the momemnt.

Hope this helps.

ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
Vernon Chronicles Volume 4
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Quote:
On May 15, 2017, ixnay66 wrote:
Vernon Chronicles Volume 4

Have you read David Ben's biography of Vernon?
mentalboy
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of mentalboy
I agree that Dear Mr Fantasy is a little gem - almost all easy-to-do card effects. And I keep going back to Bruce Bernstein's magnum opus, Unreal, which cannot be beat by the sheer deviousness of this man's thinking. Both are brilliant!
Tomasio!
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
21 Posts

Profile of Tomasio!
Another vote for Dear Mr. Fantasy !

I do not own this book myself unfortunately, but I've heard it's very good. Good enough that it could accompany younon this trip Smile
Looking for Apocalypse vol 3
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » What 2x books would you take? (1 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL