The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Cubism : Maestro » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (26 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Dave Forrest
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
857 Posts

Profile of Dave Forrest
Https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/926......-maestro

Cubism : Maestro - A custom made set of dice cups for performing the 'cups n' balls' effect. PLUS - One cup in the set is a chop-cup'! It's being called 'the best deal in magic!' - they're not wrong!

To check out video's of the props and two complete routines featured on the included video download - click the link in my signature!

Back in 2010 I had an idea. Take the classic magicians prop - the 'chop-cup' - and 'normalise' the prop by swapping the spun metal cup and red crotchet ball (items that are, let's face it, simply screaming 'magic prop') for a regular looking dice cup and a dice. The size and weight were about the same and you could 'justify' the props. Everyone's seen a dice cup, right? Made sense to me...

About three years later, after month after month of R&D and multiple prototypes, I was able to present my 'dice-cup/chop-cup' to the magic fraternity at Blackpool 2013. The product was called 'Cubism' and it was, I'm pleased to say, a HUGE success. The product received rave reviews, was ordered in large numbers by a major wholesaler and very quickly sold out.

As proud as I was of 'Cubism', I wasn't completely satisfied with it on a personal level. That's because, during the several years it took to get 'Cubism' to market, it had occurred to me that, in fact, rather than simply being a single chop-cup, the 'dice/dice cup' combo could (should!) actually be expanded into a full 'three cup set' ala 'cups n' balls'.

And so, we arrive at the all new 'Cubism : Maestro'. Pledge today and help us make this stunning product a reality!

Click the link in my signature to watch several video's. Get a closer look at the props and watch two of the included effects - 'Three Dice?', a one-cup routine and 'Which Cup?', a two-cup routine. Follow us on the Kickstarter campaign page to receive updates as new video's are added.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8254 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Dave Forrest
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
857 Posts

Profile of Dave Forrest
Quick update: All Cubism Maestro sets will now include the custom, mini close-up mat that was included with the original, one-cup Cubism package.

We're currently 87% funded with one third of the campaign left - that's 10 days to go!

There's a new update video on the campaign page - just added today. Click the link in my signature!

Dave.
funnymagic
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of funnymagic
Anyone know where the main thread went?
Rob.m
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of Rob.m
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2018, funnymagic wrote:
Anyone know where the main thread went?

It was taken down.
Jack Straw
View Profile
Special user
Wichita
871 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
One of his friends complained that everyone was being unfair to poor Dave.

The enablers are once again enabling.
Jack Straw from Wichita, cut his buddy down
And dug for him a shallow grave, and laid his body down
Half a mile from Tucson, by the morning light
One man gone and another to go, my old buddy you're moving much too slow
We can share the women, we can share the wine
Sawi
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Sawi
I’m relieved that thread was taken down. It was full of aggression and negativity. We’re generally a positive community and my belief is that we should be supporting one another, especially during difficult times in our and others lives.
Love and strawberries. Sawi x
Jack Straw
View Profile
Special user
Wichita
871 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Well, Sawi, the vast majority of people here WERE supporting one another.

They were supporting all the backers that are awaiting their long lost product.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3257 Posts

Profile of warren
It seems to me that if Dave had been more honest and upfront with his customers rather than continually promising things he can't deliver his reputation wouldn't be in tatters so unfortunately he's brought it all on himself.

Personally I didn't order from Dave as I have an amazing cup from Hidden Wren Magic that I absolutely love but I do hope all those that did order get their products and that Dave throws in a little extra something for continually letting his customers down.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1063 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Apparently Dave has time to edit his website to offer discounts on downloads which makes the situation appear that his "personal issues" require additional funding.

I have unsubscribed from his website emails.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8254 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2018, Sawi wrote:
I’m relieved that thread was taken down. It was full of aggression and negativity. We’re generally a positive community and my belief is that we should be supporting one another, especially during difficult times in our and others lives.
Love and strawberries. Sawi x

I agree. I’m supporting Dave on this one. How dare anyone complain that they’ve been robbed blind without explanation.
sjrw
View Profile
Special user
563 Posts

Profile of sjrw
Its possible the sudden sale on downloads is to help put together some cash for sending out the products...
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
1063 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
That would not be good at all if that is the financial situation he is in. Although we have no idea as he hasn't shared any details of his predicament.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1581 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Long post sorry but I think the facts of these project must be cleared, then everybody can draw their own conclusion.
@Funnymagic, and others the thread you referred to was taken down. There are currently 2 threads on Cubism maestro, this one and one on Ever so sleigthly. To avoid another deletion, I will try to be factual in my post.
1) The 3 threads (one deleted) were opened by Dave Forrest (x2) and another member that Forrest took rapidly over, to advertise and lure potential backers. Rare event but that was what it was
2) In the Kickstarter risk page written by Forrest it says "We currently have everything in place to begin the manufacture of Cubism : Maestro.
Every element of the product is being supplied by manufacturers that we have personally dealt with previously, during the production of the original 'Cubism' set.
We have premises and staff and we deal with worldwide shipping on a daily basis.
So, all the parts are in place to begin manufacture. Our biggest challenge is the most obvious one - we need to get the funding in place."
This is an important comment because it was inaccurate as later is demonstrated by the reality.
3) The project was overfunded at 131%, or 19K pounds or $24K dollars
4) Ship date was June 2017, based on point 2 above, everything was in place
5) April No updates
6) May 9th update, Forrest came from vacation and fighting jet lag, everything in place for shipping in June
7) May 12th, update to peddle a friend's project
8) June 30 Update (The day shipments should have started) to tell there will be no shipments, because the manufacture of the sets change their shipping process, and the dice manufacturer did not have everything on hand. However, he said. “…Anyway, please rest assured that everything IS IN HAND…” refer to point 2
9) July 25 update, Dice manufacture still late, Forrest called him regularly
10) No updates for August and September. Update October 4th He has the dice, but now (new news) he is missing the mat that was not part of the original offering. Most backers asked to ship without the mat, Then he explained to all of us the risk of kickstarter, forgetting what he wrote on page 2.Also he warns to the people that thread him (he will do it later on again) to go to KS or credit cards with these issues because he will delivered.
11) November update, the mat still the problem. Most of the comments is to ship without the mat, he does not want to do it. No reasons provided
12) December update, mats not received, Forrest emailed the manufacturer
13) No January update, February update mats will be ready in 14 days
14) No March, April, May updates, June update the February mats were delivered by Fedex to the right address wrong person(?) And not being found. He mentioned now a personal issue that affects him. He is also now missing shipping material, to be received in one weeks’ time and will start shipping without the mats
15) July Update Tell us that this is not a SCAM, personal issues and mats potentially found. No comments on shipping material no deliver date either
16) July Update Called his backers or some of them Pitch Fork Wielders, but again no update on the shipping material nor a shipping date

I did not make this up, even though it looks like a made up story as it progresses, I am missing the backers (mine included) comments that add to the updates, that are very important for the overall perspective, you can read it on KS

Caveat to @sawi: I agreed with you, people should be helpful and understanding, I am and I was, Forrest lost me after more than a year of so many issues, lack of clear and factual communications, and failed commitments, at this time it is also my right not to be grateful. I would appreciate that you also provide me the courtesy to support me and the other 202 backers not just Forrest, after all, we are the victims of an unfulfilled project. As far as we know the claim of personal issues showed up in June/18, up to that point he could have sent the sets without the mat and he decided not to do it. That action took away a lot of credibility about the real problems and the comments along his changing problems sadly cloud the seriousness of his potential personal issues.
To Forrest, the 203 backers and you all my best wishes.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8254 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Wow. Good detective work. Perhaps Forest was scammed by the manufacturer(s). I suppose we’ll never find out.
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1581 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Hi Pegasus, not detective work, I just transcribed what Forrest wrote, in KS, himself, I did omit some language to make it shorter. Also he claimed several times and also back in June that he has all the parts (shipping material was missing but you can get in any office supplies store) , so no manufacturer scam here, only non delivering of the props
Jack Straw
View Profile
Special user
Wichita
871 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Pablonius, that is detective work.

You did an excellent job!
Dave the Knave
View Profile
Regular user
Cochise County, Arizona
135 Posts

Profile of Dave the Knave
I was at the local Taco Bell enjoying a Mexican Pizza when I overheard someone say he recently saw Dave Forrest lighting nine-inch Cuaba Bariay cigars with flaming $100 silver certificates while aboard Bernie Madoff's yacht. David Blaine was there also, regurgitating double eagles Justin Miller was tossing down his gullet.
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1581 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
@davetheknave, be nice and let the tread live posting facts, so people can really understand the issue at hand
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
1063 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Thank You Very Much for that run down, Pabloinus. I'm sure it did not start out as a scam but it did denigrate to a scam because of the deception, not forth coming with enough or complete facts, periods of no updates, etc.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Cubism : Maestro » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (26 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL