The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Our friends at Microsoft (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1717 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Those wonderful people at Microsoft have decided to improve the wildly popular game FREECELL, although absolutely no one ask for it to be changed. Seems of the million or so permeations there are eight that so far have not been solved. Microsoft has barred these from their game so that sensitive young people will not be accidentally subjected to the trauma of failure.s
So far Microsoft is not offering the earlier version of FREECELL for those brave souls who are willing to risk failure playing a game that might not be won.
If this is successful Microsoft engineers next project might be a version of Windows that works.
Less than 2% of reported UFO's turn out to be actual interplanetary vehicles.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Online games are no longer about being challenging. Now it is only about repetition, simple goals, and killing time.

All of which are available to play on so called smartphones...
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1717 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
The random version of FREECELL is back as a option, along with an option for more difficult play.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Mar 5, 2017, ringmaster wrote:
Those wonderful people at Microsoft have decided to improve the wildly popular game FREECELL, although absolutely no one ask for it to be changed. Seems of the million or so permeations there are eight that so far have not been solved. Microsoft has barred these from their game so that sensitive young people will not be accidentally subjected to the trauma of failure.s
So far Microsoft is not offering the earlier version of FREECELL for those brave souls who are willing to risk failure playing a game that might not be won.
If this is successful Microsoft engineers next project might be a version of Windows that works.

I don't quite understand your concern. If I do a crossword puzzle, I have a reasonable expectation that a solution exists. Why would I expect less of freecell?

Guess I'm one of those "sensitive young people" who has expectations that games are winnable and puzzles are solvable. What degenerates we are!
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27104 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Magnus if WOPR offers you a game of Global Thermonuclear War - maybe don't play.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20428 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
What is the point in doing a puzzle that has no solution? Why play a game that can't be won? I'm confused.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
I don't believe they are unsolvable. Just that no one has solved them yet. I may be wrong because I do not follow these games but that is how it sounds to me. Sort of like Rubik's Cube for me.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20428 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well the computer would know pretty quickly if it can or can not be solved.

And incidentally not for nothing I believe there are far more than a million combinations.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
While on combinations or possibilities here is a very weird fact. Do you have any idea how many different combinations you can arrange a 52 card deck? What ever your guess, your guess probably WAYYYY OFFFF. Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20428 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Not mine. It was the point I was making. Every time a deck of cards is shuffled there is a good chance no deck had ever been in that order. So no my guess is not WAYYY off because I know the answer.

Someone put up a thread about it here a little while back.

90,000,000,000,000,000,000. (90 quintillion I think.)

Or a lot.

More stars than are out there or some such thing?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
Not mine. It was the point I was making. Every time a deck of cards is shuffled there is a good chance no deck had ever been in that order. So no my guess is not WAYYY off because I know the answer.

Someone put up a thread about it here a little while back.

90,000,000,000,000,000,000. (90 quintillion I think.)More stars than are out there or some such thing?

Or a lot.

Actually 8 with 67 zeros behind it. Probably never has nor will there ever will be every conceivable combination set up. So if you pick up a deck of cards that has been randomly washed (shuffled) that combination has probably never existed nor will it ever again. (Just more useless information)
Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20428 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1717 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
The number of possible permutations — arrangements, basically — of a deck of cards is 52! (“fifty two factorial”), or approximately 8×1067. That’s such a long number, it breaks the margins of this page, so forgive the space:

There was one unattainable game in the original version of freecell {32,000 posistions}, there are eight unwon games in the current version (1,000,0000 verions). There are also two Easter Egg games(-1 & -2) plus autosolve. Some non- Microsoft versions can generate more games.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Although he number of,permutations of a deck of cards overstates the number of relevant Free Cell games, as interchanging any two rows of equal size doesn't change anything.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20428 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
All I know is it is quite a few more than a million or so.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Our friends at Microsoft (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL