The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » The real scoop on busking (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
Kyoki,

These jokers don't know many of us and if they did, they wouldn't say the things they say. Keep in mind, the internet has made everyone a bad A.S.$. because they can hide behind a screen. I can tell you, I have personally met two of the jokers who commented above in the past and they were kind to me, but now, I've lost all respect for them. Of course, they have no idea who cbguy is on the Café. But, maybe they will figure it out now. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter.

They don't understand there is more than one side to a coin and when it's shown to them they don't want to accept it. Their loss, not ours, right!

Their disrespectful comments are good for me though. It keeps me humble. I mean I just did another T.V. spot yesterday, I head out on tour from the 22nd of this month until Oct 29th. I'm also booked at six different festivals. I've just got off the phone with some folks at Harrahs that sounds very promising for a few events, I perform at banquets and events for MLB & NFL, PLUS I work the street like the best of them.

If it wasn't for buttheads like these guys, I'd probably be pretty egotistical, LOL...I'm thankful for them.

They are not really mad, upset or hateful towards me, Mike or anyone else. They are unhappy with themselves and rather than make friends or be helpful, they take the easy road and behave like children.

Anyway, I'll send you a link to yesterdays TV spot.


Take care!
DanielMooncalf
View Profile
Regular user
Kansas City
113 Posts

Profile of DanielMooncalf
Someone moves from Yakima to KCMO, and claims to be a life long busker. Then he absolutely creams himself when offered a gig at the Kansas City Renaissance Festival, and considers landing a TV spot at a local station as some sort of Academy Award.


The only thing that should keep you humble is reality, VS your grossly overstated success. It doesn't, though.
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
Dan, You make me laugh. This is exactly why I haven't hung out or talked with most magicians for 18 years. Most magicians are ego driven ******bags...just like you! I make a living better than most and the very few people who do know me, personally, know that as well. My grossly over stated success? Do you know me? Answer: NO, you sure don't and you never will because You are a jerk ; ) If I was as pathetic as you are, I'd be jealous, too...LOL
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
What I've known all along is this: When you do something that other people are doing and you do it better than they are, and they can't figure out how that's happening, a lot of those people get really upset.

Instead of being friendly and happy, they become angry and malicious. There is no reason for me to hang out in that crowd. Not only am I not wanted in that crowd, I don't want to be a part of that crowd either. I've decided not to participate any longer in 99.9% of what's discussed here on the Café. Only a madman would hang out in the kind of negativity that takes place here.

I wish all of you the best of luck. I hope each of you do well and find the things that make you happy ~ Peace!
fireperformer911
View Profile
Special user
547 Posts

Profile of fireperformer911
Cbguy "Anyway, I'll send you a link to yesterdays TV spot."

Please do!!!
augiemagic
View Profile
Regular user
Overland Park, KS
162 Posts

Profile of augiemagic
Lol at calling Mooncalf "ego-driven".

Literally anyone who's spent more than a minute around him knows it's the exact opposite. "Ego-driven" is literally the last thing I would describe him as, and most who've met him would agree...

cbguy, you're as full of it as they come. Here it is, in your own words, on a paragraph-by paragraph basis:

Quote:
On Mar 17, 2017, cbguy wrote:
These jokers don't know many of us and if they did, they wouldn't say the things they say. Keep in mind, the internet has made everyone a bad A.S.$. because they can hide behind a screen. I can tell you, I have personally met two of the jokers who commented above in the past and they were kind to me, but now, I've lost all respect for them. Of course, they have no idea who cbguy is on the Café. But, maybe they will figure it out now. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter.
Take care!


Here, in a single paragraph:
you rag on folks for being overconfident on the internet because they can "hide behind a screen".
You also state that "if people knew who I was, they wouldn't say what they say"
Then, you brag about hiding behind a screen on the internet.

The mental gymnastics you must go through are likely far more entertaining you do on the street.

Then, this gem of a paragraph:

Quote:
On Mar 17, 2017, cbguy wrote:
Their disrespectful comments are good for me though. It keeps me humble. I mean I just did another T.V. spot yesterday, I head out on tour from the 22nd of this month until Oct 29th. I'm also booked at six different festivals. I've just got off the phone with some folks at Harrahs that sounds very promising for a few events, I perform at banquets and events for MLB & NFL, PLUS I work the street like the best of them.
Take care!


"it keeps me humble" he says, immediately before going on to brag about his accomplishments.

"plus I work the streets like the best of them" you say, despite (according to your own words on this very forum) only being back at this for just a shade over a year. Remember this thread?

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=6

I'll quote it to refresh your memory:

Quote:
On Jan 7, 2016, cbguy wrote:
After taking off from street performing from 2006 until now, (in order to work a real job). I can no longer take it. Putting my old act back together is like seeing an old friend who you haven't seen in years. You still know all the lines and remember all the old times you spent together. You shoot the **** (rehearse) and get to know each other well again and before you know it. You're hooked and right back where you left off. This feels good.


Or, how about calling it "another" tv appearance, when (again, according to your own words) it's your first.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=44

Quote:
On Mar 9, 2017, cbguy wrote:
I literally just got a phone call from a T.V. Talkshow producer and they are bringing me on as their featured guest. I will be interviewed and be performing as well.

This will all happen on Thursday, March 16th, which is just before I start a 7 month tour.

I have done newspaper interviews & radio interviews in the past, but this is literally my first time doing a T.V. Show - So, I am both excited and nervous. Much more nervous than excited, for sure! Like most, I wear all the hats so I have no one to turn to for advice or suggestions. However, I do own EVERYTHING from MindPro and I'm frantically reviewing how to be a good media guest.

If anyone has experience doing this kind of thing, I'd appreciate any suggestions you might want to share.
Thanks!


Again, these are all your words, not mine.

I mean, within sentences of each other, you accused others of behaving like children, and resorted to calling them buttheads.

As far as your anonymity goes, I recall you asking me to show you how to hold a crowd on spot 7 during summer of last year. You know the one. So don't act like you're the alpha and omega here. If you needed advice from me of all people, you're scraping pretty near the bottom of the barrel.

You came into this thread hostile from the beginning. Hostile towards people who have done nothing but try and contribute to this community. Sit down and check your ego, and show some respect for those who've earned it aka literally everyone else in this thread.
DanielMooncalf
View Profile
Regular user
Kansas City
113 Posts

Profile of DanielMooncalf
I'd celebrate the fact that you're gone and on tour, but that feels as real as your busker school where you've secretly (even to them) recruited the same people you're **** talking (probably because they rightfully shat upon it).

You should try hitting New Orleans. Maybe there, you can discuss with the locals your views on anyone not white. That'd be worth watching.
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
Heck, I might as well chime in one last time : )

Augie, who shared a pitch with you at City Market when there were no good pitches around for your show because you over slept and couldn't get a spot?

Augie, who talked about you to promoters and gave you numbers of contacts to get shows? The fact that you didn't get booked isn't my fault. It's your lack of persistence. You can lead a horse to water, right?

Who offered to let you stay in their RV and travel to all the good pitches in the country?

I worked the street from 1998 - 2006 and mixed that up with kid shows, school shows, corporate shows, agencies, and two seasons at a theme park.

From 2006 until 2016 I left the street (except for a bit here and there for fun) ...because I was working strictly with two agencies, booking festivals and corporate gigs. There was not much time to hit the streets. I had no need to mention that because I wasn't talking about what I did, I was talking about what I was doing : )

Augie, I called it "another T.V. appearance because the last time few times I did a T.V. appearance was in 2003 when I was performing at a theme park followed by 2005 when I was on local TV for helping with the Tsunami Relief Efforts in Indonesia. I've also had multiple stories in newspapers and been on the radio to promote shows in the past, which is a completely different story. I'm not bragging here, just responding to your incomplete investigation.

I did ask for your opinion on holding spot 7 at City Market and you gave me a very good piece of advice. It was sound and it worked really well. You do a very different show, a straight jacket escape.

You have to hold people for 30 - 45 minutes, even when it's really hot out and that is a great accomplishment. My show is much shorter than yours, so I felt like getting some input from someone who has to hold the crowd twice as long as I do is a great idea. It definitely helped and I'm still thankful that I asked you. I was grateful that you shared. In fact, I think I even gave you a very public thank you for that.

Augie, I wish you all the best.

Daniel Mooncalf: I think you just called me a racist with your last comment. You are silly. Did you know both of my sisters are mixed? Nope, you didn't know that. Wake up and smell the toast burning! My dad had two daughters from his first marriage. My sisters lived with us their entire life. I love both of them and have never had a racist thought cross my mind...EVER - To make the comment you made only proves further, your ignorance.

Anyway, New Orleans is out, the workers down there are having nothing but trouble lately with security in the Quarter.

What I've learned in this thread is that since "my story and lifestyle" is different than the few who choose to live hand to mouth, some of you think it's not accepted as authentic. I'm okay with that. I personally refuse to be like everyone else. I didn't think my original response was hostile towards anyone. If it came off that way, I truly apologize. I only wanted to share my side of the coin, which has been a bit different than some other workers.

My intention was to encourage anyone who wanted to get into doing this, rather than have them be scared and think there was only one view.

If at any point I came off the wrong way, I really do apologize because that was never my intention. I only wanted to share that there is more than one perspective to be a busker/performer/artist. I hope all of you do well in whatever endeavors and find the greatest success possible.

Take care and God Bless!
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
The thread title didn't disappoint.
I feel like I now have "the real scoop on busking" - especially the snarky one-upsmanship part.
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
Look at it like a satire...
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
655 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
Quote:
On Mar 30, 2017, writeall wrote:
The thread title didn't disappoint.
I feel like I now have "the real scoop on busking" - especially the snarky one-upsmanship part.


While I'm not interested in participating in a ****ing contest, it must be observed that the milieu we street magicians perform within, is somewhat smash-mouth at times.

I know more than one peer that has been shot, I've been attacked, and many, many of my esteemed peers participated in knock down drag out fights.

We're not exactly the sort of company from which you'd expect a high degree of insincere protocol or disingenuous etiquette.

In fact, I even find it funny that you've dismissed the "snarky one-upmanship" while being exactly that Smile

But then, I guess that's the way my sense of humor is bent.
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1054 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
Nick, did you used to be on Jimmy's forum a few years back? You busked in Asia quite a bit? Are you the busker I'm thinking of?
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2017, Eric Evans wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 30, 2017, writeall wrote:
The thread title didn't disappoint.
I feel like I now have "the real scoop on busking" - especially the snarky one-upsmanship part.


While I'm not interested in participating in a ****ing contest, it must be observed that the milieu we street magicians perform within, is somewhat smash-mouth at times.

In fact, I even find it funny that you've dismissed the "snarky one-upmanship" while being exactly that Smile


I didn't say it wasn't entertaining. Even if kayfabe.
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
Lots of this original post was said tongue in cheek, slightly cynical, so let's put a positive spin on it and say something more light: children say the funniest things. I need to remind myself that if I listen carefully, they will write all the lines to my next show. I have no shame:)
Stperformer
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Stperformer
This should be...could have been ....an excellent/interesting topic to discuss. Would love to sit down to discuss, Nick, over a couple brews (or two). :-D

It's not just life as a Busker....but as an entertainer/performing artist.

The whole Busking scenario seems to be changing anyway. It looks like my main home pitch I've worked for decades is now off-limits. Another pitch gone. I always felt one needs a good home pitch.

They've grouped everyone together onto one main pitch...show up early for the draw and maybe get a show.....you need to audition & do the show you plan on doing....you need to have liability insurance for 2 million....you need to have a website. Gone is the spontaneity. No wonder we're all getting grumpy lol.
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
That really sucks. I agree that a busker needs a home pitch. not all acts are created the same.
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
Smile
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » The real scoop on busking (16 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL