The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Tax Man Cometh... (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I have been paying Federal taxes for over 10 years.

I have been using a tax accountant for over 20 years.

I normally pay $3k+ each year, but when I paid my accountant her bill over the phone I asked "How much do I owe this year?"

...and she replied... $4

Not $4K, just 4 measly dollars!

I had to ask her if she had the correct account, she did, and I received my electronic copy to confirm.

I've been putting money away all year to pay my taxes. It is a very pleasant surprise, but one I can't share with my wife as she will want to go shopping.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Trying to get in touch with Mrs. Douglas. I have some news for her. lol enjoy Smile Your secret is safe.

Take her out someplace nice. Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
She is in the Philippines, and I'm in Kuwait but I'll use it for a family trip this summer.

As long as the IRS is happy I'm not going to dispute the amount.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4845 Posts

Profile of RNK
I just had my annual overview/review with my financial guy. He said with the new administration there are new rules that are going to take effect rather quickly. I asked him for the worse or better? He stated, "well, for you guys much better. For us, a little worse". Finally nice to see our gov't starting to work for the common working man.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15941 Posts

Profile of tommy
Thank you, it is nice to hear some good news for a change especially about tax. Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
People with 'financial guys' are the common working folk?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I started using my accountant back when I was in the Air Force; and a lowly SrA at that, because I tried to file myself and I owed each time I did the paperwork. I took all my papers to the accountant and he got me $800 back. This was back in tax year 94. I just kept him from then on.

I'm charged by the form and not for man hours, and this years bill was $254 which I was glad to pay.

Before I came over here to play in the sand I had a renovation/rental business. When applying for commercial/personal loans the underwriter would want to see my tax return for the previous year (now they ask for the last 5 years). I receive a nice portfolio from my accountant which I could easily provide the underwriters each time. No looking for paperwork in a shoe box as it were.

Now it is more critical than ever due to the structure of my income. I am able to do everything via emails and pdf's that I would print/sign/return.

For the money he saves me I'm glad to pay his fee.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4845 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2017, balducci wrote:
People with 'financial guys' are the common working folk?


Yes. Anyone who is working and putting money aside/investing for retirement. I do agree that the non working citizens that climbed to 94 million in the last 8 years here in the US would probably not have a financial/retirement person managing their portfolio. Though some of the 94 million may still have monies invested and are still in touch with whoever was managing their retirement monies before they lost their job.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2017, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2017, balducci wrote:
People with 'financial guys' are the common working folk?


Yes. Anyone who is working and putting money aside/investing for retirement. I do agree that the non working citizens that climbed to 94 million in the last 8 years here in the US would probably not have a financial/retirement person managing their portfolio. Though some of the 94 million may still have monies invested and are still in touch with whoever was managing their retirement monies before they lost their job.


Is that 94 million people of working age?
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
196 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2017, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2017, balducci wrote:
People with 'financial guys' are the common working folk?


Yes. Anyone who is working and putting money aside/investing for retirement. I do agree that the non working citizens that climbed to 94 million in the last 8 years here in the US would probably not have a financial/retirement person managing their portfolio. Though some of the 94 million may still have monies invested and are still in touch with whoever was managing their retirement monies before they lost their job.


The "94 million unemployed" meme (or 93 or 96 million or whatever) has been debunked so many times and so thoroughly, I'm surprised it still persists. If one actually believes this tripe, they are either totally ignorant of the facts or they have an agenda to promote. Or both. But based on the prime source(s) of the meme, I suspect the latter.

http://www.factcheck.org/2016/02/trump-w......loyment/

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/......king-wo/

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/deconstructi......-claims/


Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2017, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2017, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2017, balducci wrote:
People with 'financial guys' are the common working folk?


Yes. Anyone who is working and putting money aside/investing for retirement. I do agree that the non working citizens that climbed to 94 million in the last 8 years here in the US would probably not have a financial/retirement person managing their portfolio. Though some of the 94 million may still have monies invested and are still in touch with whoever was managing their retirement monies before they lost their job.


The "94 million unemployed" meme (or 93 or 96 million or whatever) has been debunked so many times and so thoroughly, I'm surprised it still persists. If one actually believes this tripe, they are either totally ignorant of the facts or they have an agenda to promote. Or both. But based on the prime source(s) of the meme, I suspect the latter.

http://www.factcheck.org/2016/02/trump-w......loyment/

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/......king-wo/

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/deconstructi......-claims/


Ron


Let's just say that it is higher than 4.9% and lower than Trump says. Two wrongs don't make a right. Both are nothing but political talk. Liars figure, and figures lie. Move on. Nothing here to see.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
So the people who say it's 4.9% and Trump are liars.

Got it.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
196 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2017, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2017, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2017, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2017, balducci wrote:
People with 'financial guys' are the common working folk?


Yes. Anyone who is working and putting money aside/investing for retirement. I do agree that the non working citizens that climbed to 94 million in the last 8 years here in the US would probably not have a financial/retirement person managing their portfolio. Though some of the 94 million may still have monies invested and are still in touch with whoever was managing their retirement monies before they lost their job.


The "94 million unemployed" meme (or 93 or 96 million or whatever) has been debunked so many times and so thoroughly, I'm surprised it still persists. If one actually believes this tripe, they are either totally ignorant of the facts or they have an agenda to promote. Or both. But based on the prime source(s) of the meme, I suspect the latter.

http://www.factcheck.org/2016/02/trump-w......loyment/

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/......king-wo/

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/deconstructi......-claims/


Ron


Let's just say that it is higher than 4.9% and lower than Trump says. Two wrongs don't make a right. Both are nothing but political talk. Liars figure, and figures lie. Move on. Nothing here to see.


No. The BLS figure is the unemployment rate. Period. Always has been. The "94 million unemployed" meme is a relatively recent meme promoted purely for a political agenda. It is intentionally misleading. It's purpose is to create a false image of high unemployment in the minds of the unsuspecting. The figure includes high school/college students, the disabled, the retired, the elderly, and those who choose not to work (to go back to school, to be stay-at-home moms/dads, or perhaps because they can afford not to work).

Simple math tells you how ridiculous the figure is. Our entire workforce is about 160 million. So if there were 94 or 96 million who lost their jobs then the unemployment rate would be a whopping 60%!

By the way, the rate now is about where it was back in '07, but nobody back then (especially not those who promote this figure now) lamented our high unemployment rate and the 90 plus million who "lost their jobs."


Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2017, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2017, balducci wrote:
People with 'financial guys' are the common working folk?


Yes. Anyone who is working and putting money aside/investing for retirement.


That was true once, but no longer. In recent years, more Americans were using a computer or online financial program to manage their money than using an accountant or certified financial planner.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/162872/one-th......get.aspx

Besides which, those working and putting money aside/investing for retirement are not the 'common working folk'. At least not in the U.S.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-amo......17-02-21
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Mar 10, 2017, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2017, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2017, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2017, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2017, balducci wrote:
People with 'financial guys' are the common working folk?


Yes. Anyone who is working and putting money aside/investing for retirement. I do agree that the non working citizens that climbed to 94 million in the last 8 years here in the US would probably not have a financial/retirement person managing their portfolio. Though some of the 94 million may still have monies invested and are still in touch with whoever was managing their retirement monies before they lost their job.


The "94 million unemployed" meme (or 93 or 96 million or whatever) has been debunked so many times and so thoroughly, I'm surprised it still persists. If one actually believes this tripe, they are either totally ignorant of the facts or they have an agenda to promote. Or both. But based on the prime source(s) of the meme, I suspect the latter.

http://www.factcheck.org/2016/02/trump-w......loyment/

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/......king-wo/

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/deconstructi......-claims/


Ron


Let's just say that it is higher than 4.9% and lower than Trump says. Two wrongs don't make a right. Both are nothing but political talk. Liars figure, and figures lie. Move on. Nothing here to see.


No. The BLS figure is the unemployment rate. Period. Always has been. The "94 million unemployed" meme is a relatively recent meme promoted purely for a political agenda. It is intentionally misleading. It's purpose is to create a false image of high unemployment in the minds of the unsuspecting. The figure includes high school/college students, the disabled, the retired, the elderly, and those who choose not to work (to go back to school, to be stay-at-home moms/dads, or perhaps because they can afford not to work).

Simple math tells you how ridiculous the figure is. Our entire workforce is about 160 million. So if there were 94 or 96 million who lost their jobs then the unemployment rate would be a whopping 60%!

By the way, the rate now is about where it was back in '07, but nobody back then (especially not those who promote this figure now) lamented our high unemployment rate and the 90 plus million who "lost their jobs."


Ron


So, are you saying the 4.9% is a correct figure? Or are you agreeing that both are political talk and two wrongs don't make a right? Or are you now going to base your opinion as to whose stretching the figures the most?

TWISTING THE TRUTH FOLLOWS:

I have stated this before. A two car race between Win and Lose (driver's names) goes like this:

Win and Lose were in a car race and Win came in next to last, while Lose had a second place finish. (TRUE)

OR

Win, wins the race while Lose finishes dead last. (TRUE)
It is all how you report it. You can spin facts any way you wish. Politicians have people do this for them all the time. However when one has the news media on their side they have a huge advantage.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Mar 10, 2017, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2017, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2017, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2017, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2017, balducci wrote:
People with 'financial guys' are the common working folk?


Yes. Anyone who is working and putting money aside/investing for retirement. I do agree that the non working citizens that climbed to 94 million in the last 8 years here in the US would probably not have a financial/retirement person managing their portfolio. Though some of the 94 million may still have monies invested and are still in touch with whoever was managing their retirement monies before they lost their job.


The "94 million unemployed" meme (or 93 or 96 million or whatever) has been debunked so many times and so thoroughly, I'm surprised it still persists. If one actually believes this tripe, they are either totally ignorant of the facts or they have an agenda to promote. Or both. But based on the prime source(s) of the meme, I suspect the latter.

http://www.factcheck.org/2016/02/trump-w......loyment/

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/......king-wo/

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/deconstructi......-claims/


Ron


Let's just say that it is higher than 4.9% and lower than Trump says. Two wrongs don't make a right. Both are nothing but political talk. Liars figure, and figures lie. Move on. Nothing here to see.


No. The BLS figure is the unemployment rate. Period. Always has been. The "94 million unemployed" meme is a relatively recent meme promoted purely for a political agenda. It is intentionally misleading. It's purpose is to create a false image of high unemployment in the minds of the unsuspecting. The figure includes high school/college students, the disabled, the retired, the elderly, and those who choose not to work (to go back to school, to be stay-at-home moms/dads, or perhaps because they can afford not to work).

Simple math tells you how ridiculous the figure is. Our entire workforce is about 160 million. So if there were 94 or 96 million who lost their jobs then the unemployment rate would be a whopping 60%!

By the way, the rate now is about where it was back in '07, but nobody back then (especially not those who promote this figure now) lamented our high unemployment rate and the 90 plus million who "lost their jobs."


Ron


Do you claim nothing in the way that statistic is reported has changed for political purposes?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4845 Posts

Profile of RNK
Record 94,708,000 Americans Not in Labor Force

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/susan-jones/

And jobs increase better than expected un new administrations first 3 months: http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2017......=copyurl


You guys make me laugh! I understand it's hard to accept.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Who knew me paying the IRS $4 this year would be so controversial...
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Mar 10, 2017, Salguod Nairb wrote:
Who knew me paying the IRS $4 this year would be so controversial...


You DO know where you are, right?
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
196 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Mar 10, 2017, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 10, 2017, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2017, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2017, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2017, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2017, balducci wrote:
People with 'financial guys' are the common working folk?


Yes. Anyone who is working and putting money aside/investing for retirement. I do agree that the non working citizens that climbed to 94 million in the last 8 years here in the US would probably not have a financial/retirement person managing their portfolio. Though some of the 94 million may still have monies invested and are still in touch with whoever was managing their retirement monies before they lost their job.


The "94 million unemployed" meme (or 93 or 96 million or whatever) has been debunked so many times and so thoroughly, I'm surprised it still persists. If one actually believes this tripe, they are either totally ignorant of the facts or they have an agenda to promote. Or both. But based on the prime source(s) of the meme, I suspect the latter.

http://www.factcheck.org/2016/02/trump-w......loyment/

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/......king-wo/

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/deconstructi......-claims/


Ron


Let's just say that it is higher than 4.9% and lower than Trump says. Two wrongs don't make a right. Both are nothing but political talk. Liars figure, and figures lie. Move on. Nothing here to see.


No. The BLS figure is the unemployment rate. Period. Always has been. The "94 million unemployed" meme is a relatively recent meme promoted purely for a political agenda. It is intentionally misleading. It's purpose is to create a false image of high unemployment in the minds of the unsuspecting. The figure includes high school/college students, the disabled, the retired, the elderly, and those who choose not to work (to go back to school, to be stay-at-home moms/dads, or perhaps because they can afford not to work).

Simple math tells you how ridiculous the figure is. Our entire workforce is about 160 million. So if there were 94 or 96 million who lost their jobs then the unemployment rate would be a whopping 60%!

By the way, the rate now is about where it was back in '07, but nobody back then (especially not those who promote this figure now) lamented our high unemployment rate and the 90 plus million who "lost their jobs."


Ron


So, are you saying the 4.9% is a correct figure? Or are you agreeing that both are political talk and two wrongs don't make a right? Or are you now going to base your opinion as to whose stretching the figures the most?

TWISTING THE TRUTH FOLLOWS:

I have stated this before. A two car race between Win and Lose (driver's names) goes like this:

Win and Lose were in a car race and Win came in next to last, while Lose had a second place finish. (TRUE)

OR

Win, wins the race while Lose finishes dead last. (TRUE)
It is all how you report it. You can spin facts any way you wish. Politicians have people do this for them all the time. However when one has the news media on their side they have a huge advantage.


No. the unemployment rate is not mere “political talk”. Nor is it someone’s “gut feeling.” It is a STATISTIC calculated by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. You can read more about the BLS and it’s methods here… https://www.bls.gov/bls/unemployment.htm

The “94 million” meme is just that – an agenda-driven meme! It is a half-truth that is intended to convey the impression that most of the workforce (a full SIXTY percent, in this case) lost their jobs under so-and-so. Therefore, vote for me! But a little analysis reveals that in a country of about 310 million, LOTS of those folks will fall into one of the categories I previously mentioned (retired, school-age, elderly, in the military, etc.), leaving our workforce somewhere around 160 million. That makes the “94 million people lost their jobs” meme downright laughable. Even during the Great Depression of the 1930s, the unemployment rate peaked at around 25% - nowhere near the 60% that is implied by this meme.

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Tax Man Cometh... (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.48 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL