The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Tax Man Cometh... (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
196 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Mar 10, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 10, 2017, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2017, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2017, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2017, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2017, balducci wrote:
People with 'financial guys' are the common working folk?

Yes. Anyone who is working and putting money aside/investing for retirement. I do agree that the non working citizens that climbed to 94 million in the last 8 years here in the US would probably not have a financial/retirement person managing their portfolio. Though some of the 94 million may still have monies invested and are still in touch with whoever was managing their retirement monies before they lost their job.

The "94 million unemployed" meme (or 93 or 96 million or whatever) has been debunked so many times and so thoroughly, I'm surprised it still persists. If one actually believes this tripe, they are either totally ignorant of the facts or they have an agenda to promote. Or both. But based on the prime source(s) of the meme, I suspect the latter.

http://www.factcheck.org/2016/02/trump-w......loyment/

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/......king-wo/

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/deconstructi......-claims/

Ron

Let's just say that it is higher than 4.9% and lower than Trump says. Two wrongs don't make a right. Both are nothing but political talk. Liars figure, and figures lie. Move on. Nothing here to see.

No. The BLS figure is the unemployment rate. Period. Always has been. The "94 million unemployed" meme is a relatively recent meme promoted purely for a political agenda. It is intentionally misleading. It's purpose is to create a false image of high unemployment in the minds of the unsuspecting. The figure includes high school/college students, the disabled, the retired, the elderly, and those who choose not to work (to go back to school, to be stay-at-home moms/dads, or perhaps because they can afford not to work).

Simple math tells you how ridiculous the figure is. Our entire workforce is about 160 million. So if there were 94 or 96 million who lost their jobs then the unemployment rate would be a whopping 60%!

By the way, the rate now is about where it was back in '07, but nobody back then (especially not those who promote this figure now) lamented our high unemployment rate and the 90 plus million who "lost their jobs."

Ron

Do you claim nothing in the way that statistic is reported has changed for political purposes?

You may need to elaborate. I’m not claiming anything other than the fact that BLS publishes their statistics and methods every month for everyone to see. Whatever someone may do with those published figures for “political purposes” can easily be fact-checked for veracity. Sorry if I’m not comprehending your question.

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15940 Posts

Profile of tommy
STATISTIC is the new god of the new age of course.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
196 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Mar 10, 2017, RNK wrote:
Record 94,708,000 Americans Not in Labor Force

Yes, technically that’s true (“not in the labor force”). But as has been explained, “not in the labor force” does not translate to “lost their jobs.” The figure simply does not mean what some would like it to mean.

Quote:
And jobs increase better than expected un new administrations first 3 months:

You guys make me laugh! I understand it's hard to accept.

First, it’s only been less than 2 months – not “3 months”. And secondly, you seem pretty excited about the fact that the unemployment rate went from 4.8% to 4.7%. If that’s the case, you must have been absolutely ecstatic over the fact that it fell from 7.9% in Jan. ’09 to 4.8% in Jan. ’17! Smile

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15940 Posts

Profile of tommy
What does it all mean to the tax man?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I see a lot of numbers being thrown around, but what I don't see is anyone complaining that the complementary presidential Nobel Peace Prize has yet to be rewarded...
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
You know, I've been wondering the same thing ...
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15940 Posts

Profile of tommy
Is there a list showing how much they take year after year?

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20266 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Mar 10, 2017, Salguod Nairb wrote:
I see a lot of numbers being thrown around, but what I don't see is anyone complaining that the complementary presidential Nobel Peace Prize has yet to be rewarded...

You only get that for saving or creating so many jobs.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
What does the word rate mean in this context: Unemployment rate?
Are we talking about how many people who are actively seeking jobs are unemployed?
Are we talking about the change in unemployment numbers in the last month?

How's the rate of provocative statistics doing?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15940 Posts

Profile of tommy
I guess it means according to the calculated share of those in and out of employment.

If say there are ten able workers and two are out of work then the rate is 20% unemployed perhaps. If it is more complex then it is a con.

And I bet it is.

Tommy
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Mar 11, 2017, tommy wrote:
I guess it means according to the calculated share of those in and out of employment.

If say there are ten able workers and two are out of work then the rate is 20% unemployed perhaps. If it is more complex then it is a con.

And I bet it is.

Close but not exactly correct. Here in the United States we have a lot of entitlement programs. So there are 10 people able to work. There are two people unemployed looking for work. There are 2 people able to work who do not want to work because of entitlements. So now the 2 people looking for work becomes 25% of those looking for work. 2/8 =25%. So actually the people looking for work is actually 25% more than calculated. While the numbers looking for work stay the same the percentage changes.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
This weekend I had to look through all of my storage containers to find a check book.

It had been a couple of years since I wrote a check.

Normally I would pay online but with this years debt being so low ($4), and the online service fee being $5 it didn't make very good fiscal sense to pay online.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Postal money order?
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I found my checkbook. The military post office does not offer money orders.

When I found my checkbook the last/only check written was for my corporate credit card (I went over their purchase limit and had to pay the difference) back in 2013.

Too bad the IRS doesn't take Paypal.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
My $4 check just cleared so I have officially paid the IRS!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Tax Man Cometh... (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL