The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Fortuity by David Jonathan & Alakazam Magic (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Alex McFly
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of Alex McFly
Hi David, looks really great. I will order it.
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
My video review:

1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2017, videoman wrote:
KJ, if you own some decks with various unusual backs as I do, it's not difficult to switch out several of the cards for ones you like better. I did that mainly for the reason you stated. I even switched out the main back design cards because the ones I received in my Fortuity deck were kind of bland IMO so I amped it up to something bolder and that I liked better.

Thanks, good suggestion.

KJ
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Just wanted to share a couple more reviews of Fortuity:

NingThing highly recommended it:
http://ningthing.com/review-fortuity-david-jonathan/

Ali Nouira also reviewed it on his show recently (I only speak a little french, but it sounds like he really liked it):
https://youtu.be/otDMJtmzHoI?t=16m52s
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
www.davidjonathanmagic.com
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Jun 21, 2017, TuneHV wrote:
Just wanted to share a couple more reviews of Fortuity:

NingThing highly recommended it:
http://ningthing.com/review-fortuity-david-jonathan/

Ali Nouira also reviewed it on his show recently (I only speak a little french, but it sounds like he really liked it):
https://youtu.be/otDMJtmzHoI?t=16m52s

I think you said earlier that this was your first release. So, you are doing very well. Your first release was a big hit!

Congrats!

KJ
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Indeed it was, thank you.

One more review has been posted courtesy of Draven:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=109
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Ekaterina posted a great new video review and performance of Fortuity earlier this week in case you havent seen it, here is a link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecp_Yxkr......e&t=1m1s
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
1997 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
Fortuity – David Jonathan

Product description : I always loved the routines with rainbow deck, I think they look cool and the fact your deck has a lot of different cards appeals to the spectator. Duel Match is a standard and classic trick you can do with such deck, but David Jonathan has brought a new idea to the table, which, I must admit, fooled me ! The idea is simple, you show a deck with different back design and different “fronts”, you can give 2 dices to the spectators so they can roll them or you can ask them to do it mentally. Once they have rolled the dices, you add up the numbers, ask them if they want to count from top or bottom and take out the card at the position. Do the same thing for the face of the card, you have now a card which is made of 2, one is considered as the back and the other one as the face. You had a prediction in an envelope since the beginning on the table, it matches perfectly !

Price and where to buy it : This is sold at $37.25 and you can find it in nearly every Murphy's magic « partner » shop !

What you get : You get a very nice box, Alakazam is known for doing very cool packaging and this one is up to the standards. Inside, you will find a DVD, an actual DVD ! In those days of online video only, I do find very cool that they included a DVD, it’s something I enjoy putting in my laptop and watch, rather than having to have a good internet connection in order to watch how to use your new trick. The explanations are very well shot, again, Alakazam quality, you understand everything so you can perform it right away, there is also a piece of David Jonathan which add some details and subtleties on how to handle the deck and perform the routine. I picked this up rather quickly, even if you have to think a little bit while doing it, it’s very basic but still, a little bit of work to do (and it should become automatic the more and more you do it). You also get a very cool envelope with the prediction card inside, 2 nice dices and of course, the deck which is ready to go, you can perform the trick right away. The deck is very well made, it should last a lifetime. Overall, for the price, you get a full routine, nicely explained on a DVD, I don’t think you can be disappointed !

Teaser : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvVP-9kKkd0

The pros and the cons : Here is the core of my review, let's begin with the cons, as I will usually be doing, I prefer to keep the good things for the end.

THE CONS :
– This is a con with every “trick deck” I review, you have to carry this special deck in order to perform Fortuity. It adds the space you need, which is something pro will be concerned about, if you’re an amateur, you will have no problem having this deck with you ! The deck is not examinable but David has added subtleties so people won’t want to look at it .
– It’s the same out each time, so you can’t do it twice to the same people. And I don’t know that if you order another copy from Alakazam, you will get a different one.
– You have to do the dice thing, so people may complain that you can’t go over 12 but I’ve never had this case before.

THE PROS :
– Packaging is very nice, as are the explanations. I do think that a producer who take time to produce nice products will always be more “liked” than the ones that put their products in ziplock bag. It’s a mark of respect toward the customer.
– Even if the plot is an existing one with “Duel Match”, David has added several ideas and subtleties which completely throw off the spectator, especially regarding the method ! You can show more than 26 cards (for those who are familiar with a principle in play Smile ).
– You can actually hand out several cards to the spectator, so they can look at them, which is a major difference with the previous trick and method. It has a “Out of Sight” from Joshua Jay feeling for me, for those who have it !
– Everything is provided in order to do the trick, no art and craft, nothing to make, to add, to buy ! You can buy this, watch the DVD and directly perform it !
– Even if I said a little bit of mental work is required, it is minimal ! A 5 years old child could do it, so you can completely focus on your presentation.
– You have to carry this deck to perform this effect but since it’s a rainbow type deck, it gives you a reason of carrying it ! And the presentations are endless, saying you like to keep a card from each deck you used, or that you like collecting cards, I think this has the potential to connect with people.

Overall rating : I already do the Stolen Cards routine from Lennart Green, so this is a no brainer from me, I actually think of doing this first, deck switch, then Stolen Cards, I very much like this, 4/4 hearts.

As for the difficulty level, the work on it is minimal, focus on your presentation, I would say 2/5 stars.

Similar products : Duel Match and Detour de Force are tricks with the same feel but David Jonathan has added many subtleties so it can be performed more freely and openly.

If you liked this review, make sure to check all my other ones on my website : http://lesavisdalexis.wixsite.com/reviews
Get yourself Stamper and MONU, the perfect walkaround packet tricks: https://youtu.be/rwtfeKFeLms & https://youtu.be/yz5yKlI-4w8

Make sure to check my English review Channel! http://www.youtube.com/c/alexisreviews
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Great review, Alexis. Merci!
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
efrados
View Profile
Regular user
Montevideo, Uruguay
119 Posts

Profile of efrados
The reveal card of the deck may vary I assume, I got my reveal card from a deck with a really tiny index so it sucks!

When you show the faces you can very much notice that a huge part from them are from the same deck and also you can barely read those tiny indexes.
any suprise? NO.It is exactly what I expected to be...
Is it cheaper to buy than to make one by yourself? Of course you will need to open a ton of decks and you will make a ton of this decks, but all to have one for yourself... doesn't worth it!
Is it usable¿? not mine... the small index cards give it away for me, I am not perfoming with this deck for sure
Will I buy this again? definetely no, I assume I can get the same unusable deck again so I am not rislking it
DVD material? one hour to learn what you can pick up automatically from the demo video

1/5 for me but you might be luckier
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Quote:
On Oct 30, 2017, efrados wrote:
The reveal card of the deck may vary I assume, I got my reveal card from a deck with a really tiny index so it sucks!

When you show the faces you can very much notice that a huge part from them are from the same deck and also you can barely read those tiny indexes.
any suprise? NO.It is exactly what I expected to be...
Is it cheaper to buy than to make one by yourself? Of course you will need to open a ton of decks and you will make a ton of this decks, but all to have one for yourself... doesn't worth it!
Is it usable¿? not mine... the small index cards give it away for me, I am not perfoming with this deck for sure
Will I buy this again? definetely no, I assume I can get the same unusable deck again so I am not rislking it
DVD material? one hour to learn what you can pick up automatically from the demo video

1/5 for me but you might be luckier

efrados, I'm sorry to hear you were disappointed with your deck- while I had no involvement with selecting the cards chosen for the final product, this is the first time I'm hearing anyone complain about them. Alakazam sourced the cards from a fairly popular deck, so I would not agree that the indexes are too small to read. With that said, if this goes to a second production run, I will pass along your comments, so I appreciate you sharing you thoughts. I would urge you to try to performing it as this should not be an issue for your spectators, but it would be fairly easy to change out these cards in your deck as long as you have that one necessary item used to constuct the deck (which a lot of magicians have in their drawer). Feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to help with that.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Just wanted to share that Wayne Kawamoto recently posted a great review of Fortuity, you can check it out here:
https://youtu.be/rmqGSLJXGO0
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
aheller5
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of aheller5
This is a great effect!!!! BUY IT!!!! great reactions!!!
adam
raw36
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of raw36
I Totally agree the effect is great love all the different back design on the cards.
BaryBazz
View Profile
Loyal user
United Kingdom
213 Posts

Profile of BaryBazz
Hi Guys,

Really great effect but not sure if I’m missing something.

If for the first reveal you take the back from the bottom surely after you remove the card and then count from the bottom or the top for the second reveal they will see the same force card twice when counting from the bottom or the same back design twice when counting from the top. Because of this the reveals can only be first from the top and then the bottom to prevent double exposure.

Am I right.

Ps I think I have just worked it out as the duplicate doesn’t show because it becomes a triple , correct ?

Barry
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Quote:
On Dec 17, 2017, BaryBazz wrote:
Hi Guys,

Really great effect but not sure if I’m missing something.

If for the first reveal you take the back from the bottom surely after you remove the card and then count from the bottom or the top for the second reveal they will see the same force card twice when counting from the bottom or the same back design twice when counting from the top. Because of this the reveals can only be first from the top and then the bottom to prevent double exposure.

Am I right.

Ps I think I have just worked it out as the duplicate doesn’t show because it becomes a triple , correct ?

Barry

Hi Barry,

I understand what you are getting at... This is the clever part of the method that sometimes gets overlooked - no matter the choices, they will never see anything they should not, so you can always display the deck cleanly in all scenarios. I don’t want to speak too openly about the method, but there will never be a “double exposure” and your hunch at the end is on the right track. Hope that helps.

FYI- our initial production run recently sold out, but Alakazam should be producing the next batch to re-stock shortly. If anyone is looking for one in the meantime, feel free to PM me and I can try to help source one.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
BaryBazz
View Profile
Loyal user
United Kingdom
213 Posts

Profile of BaryBazz
Thanks David that clears it up and I will start using the either end choice in my presentation.

Well done on a great effect.

Barry
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Quote:
On Dec 17, 2017, BaryBazz wrote:
Thanks David that clears it up and I will start using the either end choice in my presentation.

Well done on a great effect.

Barry

Thanks, glad to clear it up. I encourage all owners of Fortuity to register the product at Alakazam's website as there is a bonus video I filmed that was accidentally left off the DVD that talks through this specific issue and explains how and why it works in detail.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
BaryBazz
View Profile
Loyal user
United Kingdom
213 Posts

Profile of BaryBazz
Ok noted I will take a look
Barry
LondonN8
View Profile
Regular user
North London
124 Posts

Profile of LondonN8
Hi David been trying to find this for last year no magic shop stock it can you tell me how
I can get it have you sold the rights to Alakazam many thanks
Ex-Army Very proud - Professional Award-Winning Magician Performing Magic & Mentalism Over 45 years, Tv Appearances & Cruise Ships (Magic Is a Wonderful Word)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Fortuity by David Jonathan & Alakazam Magic (12 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL