The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » SVENLOPES 50 BLACK. Svengali ENVELOPES. A NEW FORCE IN THE Svengali MAGIC WOR (35 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18579 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2017, saysold1 wrote:
Well I ordered a set from Stevens and will report back.

Iain who appears to have developed this idea is not saying much now... is this the same as what you created in 2012?

If so it seems you should be credited.

I have not a clue who is putting this out though.


i have nothing else to say really...i did research before putting it in PROFEIGN, couldn't find any - asked around too (bob c. and others) - the book was out and in the lulu.com best sellers in that category, and in Jheff's best releases of that year too...i've spoken with shaun from penguin, he's getting me some contact details soon...

as I said elsewhere, the concept of a Svengali is probably the most obvious one to port over to other items, that's probably why I was a bit confused that I couldn't find anyone else to credit!

and as asked previously, yes - it originally sprang from having a kind of floating key card, but in a bunch of envelopes and it went from there to its natural progression...

from reading their blurb - they have put it along the long edge of a certain envelope, my concept works across a wider range of envelopes, and can be done very quickly, with nothing much else indeed...

i might just post the idea downstairs and be done with it y'know...

so yeah, I'm sure these custom laser cut fancy envelopes will float a lot of boats!

i'm not especially commercially minded - I never thought people would really want or need these specially created and sized envelopes at that price...but hey, out of my control so good luck to 'em...

would just appreciate the credit - the book was out for a good couple of years...reviewed here and on marketplaceofthemind and elsewhere...
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2253 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I once presented a routine using 5 envelopes. I found the need to insert items into the envelopes and then mix them etc was a slow process and it taught me to be careful in using effects involving many envelopes.

For this reason, for those who get these Sven envelopes, do think carefully about routining.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10574 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2017, Tim Hannig wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2017, saysold1 wrote:
Well I ordered a set from Stevens and will report back.

Iain who appears to have developed this idea is not saying much now... is this the same as what you created in 2012?

If so it seems you should be credited.

I have not a clue who is putting this out though.


When I saw it advertised I assumed you were putting it out. I guess not!


Nope.

Never seen them - never held them - have NO IDEA who put this out.

Mark Stevens (who I love) apologized for the slightly confusing wording with my name etc. He will revise for future emails.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
IMAGINACIAN
View Profile
Elite user
In Your Thots
446 Posts

Profile of IMAGINACIAN
I got them from Penguin. Very happy with this purchase. The set of envelopes is top quality and well made. They handle real nice n smooth. Got 50 pieces in the set - 25 normal and 25 gimmiked. Price point of $24.95 is highly reasonable for what I got. This is a great idea. An included pdf gives a lot of tips and is quite helpful.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8141

This would be ideal for those who want to get away from Svengali cards. One clear advantage of envelopes over books/pads is 'reusability'. I can now use my set of 50 envelopes for multiple routines - just change the theme or what you keep inside the envelopes and you have a new routine. Whereas with books/pads I'll need multiple pads for multiple routines.

Will report back after some 'live plays'
There is no better freedom than choice and no better choice than freedom.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13144 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2017, IMAGINACIAN wrote:
I got them from Penguin. Very happy with this purchase. The set of envelopes is top quality and well made. They handle real nice n smooth. Got 50 pieces in the set - 25 normal and 25 gimmiked. Price point of $24.95 is highly reasonable for what I got. This is a great idea. An included pdf gives a lot of tips and is quite helpful.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8141

This would be ideal for those who want to get away from Svengali cards. One clear advantage of envelopes over books/pads is 'reusability'. I can now use my set of 50 envelopes for multiple routines - just change the theme or what you keep inside the envelopes and you have a new routine. Whereas with books/pads I'll need multiple pads for multiple routines.

Will report back after some 'live plays'


Was Iain Dunford credited, or is it an uncredited ripoff?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18579 Posts

Profile of IAIN
After speaking with Mark from SME, the creators said they will credit - but dunno anymore than that, I guess we'll wait and see...and often happens, I guess re-invention happens quite a bit, and they have been making/selling these in India for quite some time (but I don't have a timeline to compare it to)...

so its not a big deal really, seems above board so far... Smile
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10574 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2017, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2017, IMAGINACIAN wrote:
I got them from Penguin. Very happy with this purchase. The set of envelopes is top quality and well made. They handle real nice n smooth. Got 50 pieces in the set - 25 normal and 25 gimmiked. Price point of $24.95 is highly reasonable for what I got. This is a great idea. An included pdf gives a lot of tips and is quite helpful.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8141

This would be ideal for those who want to get away from Svengali cards. One clear advantage of envelopes over books/pads is 'reusability'. I can now use my set of 50 envelopes for multiple routines - just change the theme or what you keep inside the envelopes and you have a new routine. Whereas with books/pads I'll need multiple pads for multiple routines.

Will report back after some 'live plays'


Was Iain Dunford credited, or is it an uncredited ripoff?


I'm curious how practical it would be though to open many envelopes to show the contents? Seems far easier in real life to simply show pages in a pad or notebook- or deck?
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10574 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Ok I think I understand now. I don't agree with the mere TOY claim LOL.

Every utility tool has it's place. I'm also wondering if this is a "hands off" force, which is what makes the SvenPads so potent. With no bindings to hold them together - can this be used freely handed to a spectator?

If only the performer handles, some in the audience might wonder if there was some magician sleight or control used. Hands off with a SvenPad, the fairness is greatly amplified. That said, this could be cool for the right situations.

This is from the Penguin advert:

SVENLOPES ADVANTAGES
1. SVENLOPES FOR Svengali WITH OBJECTS - A BIG advantage
of using a pack of Svenlopes is that your FIELD OF PLAY extends
FAR BEYOND just playing cards or Svengali force pads. With
Svenlopes you can start using ACTUAL OBJECTS like poker chips,
coins, keys, billets, photos of movie stars or music icons or
wanted criminals etc, mini greeting cards, stamps, lotto tickets,
travel tickets, tarot cards, symbol cards, alphabet cards, picture
cards, mini movie posters, number cards, business cards, id
cards etc etc...the applications are actually UNLIMITED...limited
only by your imagination. And the beauty is NONE of the
OBJECTS need to be gimmicked because the Svenlopes pack
takes care of that.

2. SVENLOPES - ONE PACK. MULTIPLE ROUTINES. A BIGGER
advantage of using a pack of Svenlopes is that UNLIKE Svengali
playing cards or Svengali force pads, you DO NOT have to
consume a different pack for each different routine. Just one
single Svenlopes pack can be used for multiple routines with
multiple objects. Simply take out the earlier objects and replace
with whatever new objects you want to do a routine with. So
no RECURRING expense for a long time.

3. SVENLOPES ELEVATE Svengali PRINCIPLE FROM A TOY TO
A TOOL – The biggest advantage of using a pack of Svenlopes is
that YOUR Svengali magic will get elevated from a mere toy, to
which the Svengali principle has unfortunately been reduced, to
the status of a great deceptive tool, which the Svengali principle
deserves. Svenlopes achieve that for you.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18579 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I think anything 'sven'd' has the same thought procsses behind it...i mean, even with a pad, you're not going to sit there a show every single page clearly are you...you just show a few and get on with it...

for me, an envelope edition doesn't require you to show the content of every single one either (well, I have never felt the urge that's all I can say) - you can certainly show the ones either side as a convincer though...won't take long...and obviously context/presentationally related...

i've never used a big old 50 stack personally - just a dozen or so...and for me, the handling is no different from using a deck...but, I guess its all about being comfortable...its why I made my own using a nice simple technique...
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3120 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
IAIN is right,

The spectator cuts to an envelope. The Magi says "If you had cut one more you would have gotten this envelope... if you had cut one less you would have gotten this envelope" as he shows the contents of each.

The advantage is you can put a variety of things in the envelopes. A coupon in one envelope, a lottery ticket in another, a dollar bill, a photograph etc.

This really does open some possibilities.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com



I took the Pledge
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10574 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Hands-off for my taste is generally superior than hands-on... regardless of the effect or device used.

As a mentalist I have a different criteria.

That is what makes MOABT such a stunner - hand them a book, make a free choice of any large word, no limitations, back turned.

But (devil's advocate) I use booked at nearly every strolling show as it simply kills.

That said there is a place for this prop and I am hoping to get my set soon from Stevens Magic to play with it.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18579 Posts

Profile of IAIN
For me, when I had the idea to make svenvelopes, it was (in part) the idea that things were sealed up, safe, faux-test condition looking choices...a blind choice amongst many...

so though I get why people suggested windowed envelopes, but then it also says "hey, windows! you can look into and out of them.." so for me, it looks and feels less safe...

saying that, with MY application of it, you could do it with regular shop bought windowed envelopes if you wanted to...

i originally used them for a nice straight forward ESP experiment, back when I used to do such things...
IMAGINACIAN
View Profile
Elite user
In Your Thots
446 Posts

Profile of IMAGINACIAN
I got a chance to road test these black beauties for 3 consecutive nights last weekend.

Well, I'm impressed, and I seemed to impress my audiences too. This is one well made set of Svenlopes, I can tell ya.
The biggest plus, as I see it is, I could easily do 3 different looking routines each of those 3 nights. Just changed what I kept INSIDE the Svenlopes.

These bunch should last me many many performances - not only the quality is very good, the included box helps to store these nice n crisp. A cool great utility prop. Very useful and well worth having, imo.

As I see it, a Svengali deck of cards, a set of these black Svenlopes and a Svengali note book should make a great versatile combo.
There is no better freedom than choice and no better choice than freedom.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4400 Posts

Profile of videoman
IMAGINACIAN, would you mind explaining how you used these?
I don't mean your particular routine, but more how you convinced the audience that the envelopes didn't all contain the same thing.
It's too time consuming to show the contents of all or most of the individual envelopes and I'm not sure if just showing them the ones above and below their choice is enough.
But maybe it is. Anyway, just curious how you went about presenting this to achieve maximum impact.
Thanks!


Quote:
On Apr 19, 2017, IMAGINACIAN wrote:
I got a chance to road test these black beauties for 3 consecutive nights last weekend.

Well, I'm impressed, and I seemed to impress my audiences too. This is one well made set of Svenlopes, I can tell ya.
The biggest plus, as I see it is, I could easily do 3 different looking routines each of those 3 nights. Just changed what I kept INSIDE the Svenlopes.

These bunch should last me many many performances - not only the quality is very good, the included box helps to store these nice n crisp. A cool great utility prop. Very useful and well worth having, imo.

As I see it, a Svengali deck of cards, a set of these black Svenlopes and a Svengali note book should make a great versatile combo.
IMAGINACIAN
View Profile
Elite user
In Your Thots
446 Posts

Profile of IMAGINACIAN
Hi Videoman,

First up let me say this. A Svengali deck of cards CANNOT be ribbon spread - but a Svengali bunch of envelopes CAN be ribbon spread, and you can go on from there. And it is not necessary you use ALL 50 Svenlopes provided in the pack. You can always choose to use fewer envelopes depending on your routines.

Second, not sure if the contents can be discussed here, but there is a pdf included which suggests several methods of 'proving' all envelopes contain different stuff and not the same. However, I think it may be fine if I just mention the 'heads' covered in the pdf.

How to set up your Svenlopes pack
How to square up your Svenlopes pack
How to hold your Svenlopes pack
How to instruct the participant
How to force a short Svenlope
How to force a long Svenlope
How to convince the audience that all Svenlopes contain different contents (there are 5 different methods suggested, 4 of which I like - showing the one above and below the chosen one is also one of these)
How to take care of your Svenlopes pack.

Hope that helps.
Overall, I felt this is a very usable prop, well made and worth the price.
There is no better freedom than choice and no better choice than freedom.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10574 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I got em.

Envelopes are very very small. Not a size of envelope or style anyone has seen at Staples. Not big enough to put almost anything in.

Will I use these?

No. Useless for my work. I don't see the point or advantages over a clear Force bag or other nice options.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18579 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Can you not get business card stock in them?!
IMAGINACIAN
View Profile
Elite user
In Your Thots
446 Posts

Profile of IMAGINACIAN
Just want to ensure that misinformation doesn’t unnecessarily gain credence. Also want to ensure a good product gets the support it deserves.

Svenlopes pack contains 50 envelopes which are each slightly bigger than poker playing card size.
In fact, each envelope can comfortably hold 6 poker size bikes.

The size is actually ideal to hold almost ANYTHING, imo – unless, of course, you would want to hide elephants or dinosaurs in them Smile

Based on actual usage experience, my ratings are as follows.
Paper quality and manufacturing – 5 stars
Quantity 50 nos of 25 long & 25 short & price – 5 stars
Size (poker) & ease of handling – 5 stars (the included pdf was very handy and helpful)
Packing & storage– 5 stars
Penguin Service – 5 stars

And here is a VERY small list of things which can comfortably be kept inside these.
1. All poker size cards, of course, like playing cards, tarot cards, alphabet cards, number cards, symbol cards, picture cards, flash cards, uno cards, zodiac cards(this is one of the routines I use these for, btw),
2. Business cards, credit cards, id cards, driving licenses, etc.
3. Photographs (celebrities, criminals etc. Actually I’m planning to make up a routine with photos)
4. Tickets – lotto tickets, travel tickets, movie tickets etc.
5. Metal objects like coins, poker chips, keys, colored chips etc.
6. Stamps, currency bills, cheques, etc.
7. Billets, even large billets of half of a4 size can be folded up and fit in well (this is another routine I use these for)
8. Amulets, talismans, charms etc.
9. Seeds, leaves etc (this is another routine I have on my to do list using Svenlopes)

And the beauty is I can potentially do ALL the above AND MORE routines using just my existing set of Svenlopes – only changing the objects for each routine.

(PS – probably Brett perceives Svenlopes as a potential threat to his business so I can understand his opinion in light of that. But imho, Svengali envelopes, Svengali playing cards, Svengali books/pads all actually complement each other quite well – not the other way)

(PPS - and if a clear fo*ce bag was the answer for everything, so many wouldn't have set up shop making Svengali books/pads or Svengali cards, for that matter. I believe, each magic prop has its place in the magic world - one needs to know when and how to use each one - well that can't be taught)
There is no better freedom than choice and no better choice than freedom.
On The Offbeat
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of On The Offbeat
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2017, saysold1 wrote:
I got em.

Envelopes are very very small. Not a size of envelope or style anyone has seen at Staples. Not big enough to put almost anything in.

Will I use these?

No. Useless for my work. I don't see the point or advantages over a clear Force bag or other nice options.


No doubt you are completely unbiased and really wanted to like these Svenlopes.
Honestly, you just need to stay out of these discussions. It only serves to make you look petty and childish.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10574 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Apr 24, 2017, On The Offbeat wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2017, saysold1 wrote:
I got em.

Envelopes are very very small. Not a size of envelope or style anyone has seen at Staples. Not big enough to put almost anything in.

Will I use these?

No. Useless for my work. I don't see the point or advantages over a clear Force bag or other nice options.


No doubt you are completely unbiased and really wanted to like these Svenlopes.
Honestly, you just need to stay out of these discussions. It only serves to make you look petty and childish.


Um. Excuse me but I can have an opinion too.

Don't you dare tell me what to do or what to say. That is petty.

I am not biased, I call them as I see them and my comments were about actual deficiencies having held the product in hand -

Yes I do have a teeny bit of experience in this realm with this kind of product. A little more than you I would say.

If Svenlopes were good or even great - I would surely say so.

Others here who have known me far longer than you know full well that I call 'em as I see 'em.

For many years since 2010 or so I have provided solid recommendations at the Café and turned many onto great products or routines.

I have also panned certain things when they disappoint/

This product in no way shape or form competes with what I have created - so I was just as excited to test them.

Sadly, the SvenLopes are (for me) disappointing at best and represent IMO a solution to a problem that did not exist as there are superior methods and other products like a forcing bag that would be my choice.

As a full time working pro - my opinion matters as it is based on real world experiences, and if you don't agree with it than too bad...matters not.

I always say I can't help everyone, so I suggest you ignore my "biased" advice.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » SVENLOPES 50 BLACK. Svengali ENVELOPES. A NEW FORCE IN THE Svengali MAGIC WOR (35 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL