The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Favorite "Think of A Card" Routines? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
kou
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of kou
I'm trying to compile a list of sources on "Think of A Card" effects. So far, here's what I know of:

Derren Brown: "Pure Effect" & "Devil's Picturebook"

Docc Hilford: "Real Mindreading"

Banachek: "Psychological Subtleties"

Kenton Knepper: "Kolossal Killer"

And I think Harry Lorayne has one in "Close-Up Card Magic" -- but I can't remember the name of the trick off the top of my head.

Can anyone add to this list?

Thanks,
kou
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Get Roger Crosthwaite's Roger's Thesaurus. There is a fairly large section of this book dedicated to the "Think of a Card" plot, and he is one of the world's leading exponents of it.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
kou
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of kou
Thanks, Scott.

Does anyone know of any routines that use no cards (more along the lines of a psychological force)?

-kou
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
The "THOUGHT OF CARD" I'm uncertain who gets proper credit on this... my version is based on Eddie Joseph's "PREMONITION" (another Thought of Card routine but uses a physical deck... the former employs an imagined deck that narrows to a single card.)

You may check some of Maven's material... I think he and T.A. Waters both had some thinking along those lines.
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
kou
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of kou
Thanks, Darmoe. Would you happen to know which Maven book in particular I should check out? I only have his Video Mind tapes (and I don't remember that effect being on there, but I could be wrong about that. I'll have to check them again.)
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I have an interesting "think of a card" effect called Blank Thought, by Raven.

What makes it intersting is that the whole deck is actually completely blank, which you revea; to the spectator AFTER you verbally reveal the specs thought of card.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
kou
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of kou
I forgot to mention that there's also another neat 'no-cards' routine in Richard Osterlind's Dynamic Mysteries. I think he calls it the $100,000 trick. Anyway, it's great -- the few times that I've tried it, it gets just as good a reaction if you get it wrong but come close.
MichaelSibbernsen
View Profile
Special user
Omaha, NE
513 Posts

Profile of MichaelSibbernsen
Quote:
On 2002-07-05 12:29, kou wrote:
Think of a Card effects. Can anyone add to this list?
Thanks,
kou

I have a simple yet extremely effective routine called "The Magician's Dream" in my lecture notes Enigmas 2001. Somewhat of a "magician killer" it has been used in my lectures as a lesson in presentation. I do use it in actual performances however, and may be included in an upcoming mentalism video project.

The Magician's Dream will be available to readers of TMC in the password protected area of my website for a short period of time.

Instructions for entering the password area are given at the bottom of the following entry page.

http://waterloomagic.com/Max.html

Best,

Michael Sibbernsen
groovy
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of groovy
Mark Mason's 'Think of Card' on his Real World Magic video is a fine 3 phase routine but cards in the performer's hands.

Kevin Gallagher has a strong think of a card routine that is done mainly in the spectator's hands. Sorry, don't know it's name.

Groovy
kou
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of kou
Thanks for the link, Michael. It's a very clever idea. I'm sure I'll be trying it out some time soon.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Paul Hallas decribes an excellent version and discusses the effect in the book "Mindful Mentalism 3"

Far better than the "magician's" approach of fanning cards in front of someone.

Paul.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Allan Ackermans IMPROMPTU ULTRA MENTAL is a great "think of a card" routine. Not easy but extremely nice, you can do this effect with a borrowed deck.

He spreads the deck on the table, but I do a pressure fan to expose the reversed card in the deck and that card is the chosen one.

You can find it in The Las Vegas Card Expert; Allan Ackerman Video; Volume 1
thiago
View Profile
Regular user
Brazil
179 Posts

Profile of thiago
I perform the classic "Al Koran Deck" routine, it takes experimentation to make the "fishing" process work well but it worths the trouble.
There´s also something in "Theater of the Mind" but as I don´t have it I can´t say anything about it.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
John Kennedy's "Mindpower" deck is
great.
I just stick a bicycle back on the last card, flash this when I pull out the deck.
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I use Mark Mason's "Think A Card" from an early version of his "Real World Magic" tape. It gets a strong reaction!
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
Don't forget Osterlinds Radar Deck
or my favorite scince I bought it at Blackpool in february Bob Sheets flash deck
3 people each think of a card you reveal 2 of them and show that the 3rd is the only odd coloured card in the deck
Phillip
groovy
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of groovy
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I use Mark Mason's "Think A Card" from an early version of his "Real World Magic" tape. It gets a strong reaction!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alan Munro

I agree, this routine can be made fun as well. Anyone that goes straight into the last phase ruins the whole idea of the routine, or has completely messed it up.

Like most of Mark's material, this is simple but brilliant piece of thinking.

Groovy
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1787 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
There are two in AoA by Harris & Ray Kosby, I rather enjoy doing it by not fanning the faces to the spectator 1st & taking the chance of getting either a direct hit or coming very close.
Steve Knight
View Profile
Elite user
Oxford U.K.
479 Posts

Profile of Steve Knight
Danny Korem published one of his versions - "A Way Out", in John Racherbaumer's book, "The Last Hierophant"; although it relies at least as much on probability as on psychology.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, a description of what is perhaps the ultimate "Think-a-card" routine can be found here:

http://195.172.98.200/rogerc.htm
mysticz
View Profile
Special user
D.C. metro area
680 Posts

Profile of mysticz
Two great think-of-a-card effects come to mind that I have used successfully for many years -- Derek Dingle's mental fan force in his collected works is very strong, and "Would You Believe in Mindreading?" from Harry Lorayne's Quantum Leaps (I think) and his card tapes series is a great impromptu effect.

Joe Z.
Joe Zabel
"Psychic Sorcery"

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

-- Shakespeare's Hamlet I.v. 174-175
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Favorite "Think of A Card" Routines? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL