The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Coaching (49 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11..22~23~24 [Next]
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2662 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
What bad information have I posted?
Could you list all the horrible advice I have given?
You never here anyone complaining.

Danny, 90 percent of my posts is beating you off my back.
I say 'good morning' you say, 'what's good about it?'
I say the word magic you say, what do you know about magic?

And who did I ask for credentials?

Tom
Do What Others Do And You Will Become Average

The Daycare Magician Book
www.amazekids.com/magic-downloads/childrens-magic-ebooks/the-daycare-magician/

Tom Boleware
www.tomboleware.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19767 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Tom there are countless examples of you making your snarky comments and then getting angry someone comes at you. Then you "defend "yourself.

So why don't you just stop that? Most of your issues go away.

Also your advice on business is almost always wrong and would be very expensive to put into practice. But there is a lot of that going on around here lately. But hey at least it is free right?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
So the mark of success is a show in Las Vegas? In which case I have failed... or have I? http://m.lasvegassun.com/vegasdeluxe/201......ntoxica/

Your turn. Where in Vegas is your show? Where are all the reviews? I'd sure love to come and see you.

My hypnosis show is about 150 times a year in the Caribbean. It actually goes quite well. Come see if you can.

How many fairs are you at exactly this year?

Still speaking of our do I pass your little test?

Certainty you are not trying to imply because we produce 1,500 plus shows a year in 4 different countries somehow I am not a performer? Let me guess that wasn't your point.

Ask Bob Sheets, or Peter Samelson, or Bannachek or any of the people who work with us how the shows go.

So what exactly was the point in trying to attack me in this fashion?

Jesus you're insecure.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19767 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Oh wait now just answering a question becomes insecure?

How about we drop that nonsense. YOU came and questioned me about it wanting proof. I provided it. Now since I have asked you it would be courtesy for you to do the same.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
On Apr 24, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
Oh wait now just answering a question becomes insecure?

How about we drop that nonsense. YOU came and questioned me about it wanting proof. I provided it. Now since I have asked you it would be courtesy for you to do the same.

Nah. Answering doesn't make you insecure. Assuming I was attacking you does. Makes you look paranoid to boot.

I know you've got your contracts with the resorts in Mexico and you've expanded them. I worked there once, remember? So why would I attack you for that?

Not everyone is out to get you Danny.

Fairs? Conjurer is on pace to clear 6 figures in the fair market alone this year. That doesn't count corporate work or any of our company's other attractions. Thanks for asking. I'm sure you were just curious. You know, testing the veracity of my comments and advice I give. I appreciate that.

Robert
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19767 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
That wasn't my question. It was vague.

How many fairs are you at this year? Oh and is that before or after expenses?

Also if it WASN'T an attack why did you follow it up with ANOTHER attack by saying I was "insecure"? Why not follow with "wow congrats I had no idea, cool"?

No you don't do that, you follow it with another attack, then claim the first wasn't an attack.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
That wasn't my question. It was vague.

How many fairs are you at this year? Oh and is that before or after expenses?

Also if it WASN'T an attack why did you follow it up with ANOTHER attack by saying I was "insecure"? Why not follow with "wow congrats I had no idea, cool"?

No you don't do that, you follow it with another attack, then claim the first wasn't an attack.

Maybe because when you get punched in the mouth for no reason the first instinct isn't to high five the guy who just hit you.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19767 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2017, RobertSmith wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:

Plus Tom nobody has to prove anything to you. You are not the end user. You don't even perform and I keep wondering why you post here at all. It is possible that as they got to know each other things we are not privy to happened.

Speaking of.

How are your hypnosis shows going, Danny? Where in Vegas are you performing these days? Would love to come see you work.

Robert

Here you are Robert jumping right in with this. Maybe it is just your timing that is off.

So we apply your standard in the above post to this. How about that?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2017, RobertSmith wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:

Plus Tom nobody has to prove anything to you. You are not the end user. You don't even perform and I keep wondering why you post here at all. It is possible that as they got to know each other things we are not privy to happened.

Speaking of.

How are your hypnosis shows going, Danny? Where in Vegas are you performing these days? Would love to come see you work.

Robert

Here you are Robert jumping right in with this. Maybe it is just your timing that is off.

So we apply your standard in the above post to this. How about that?

Already told you privately I can understand where you misunderstood and apologized for it.

Apply any standards you want, Danny. This is stupid.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1959 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
So the mark of success is a show in Las Vegas? In which case I have failed... or have I? http://m.lasvegassun.com/vegasdeluxe/201......ntoxica/

Reading the article reminded me of a magician who performed at the Forks Hotel in Buffalo. My dad tells the story that he (I don't recall the magicians name) produced a giant nut (not sure how large, because every time he tells the story the nut gets larger and heavier) under a metal bowl. One time my dad saw him produce it and place it on the table top with force (in a way that emphasized its authenticity) he did not realize the table had a sheet of glass over it and shattered the large glass platform. Anyway, your show sounds interesting, as I never got to see that style of close up magic.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19767 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Eddie Fecter ran the bar in the Forks Hotel. It may not have been him though. Another landmark.

This style of close up magic is not often seen you are right.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9580 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
This style of close up magic is not often seen you are right.

You mean it's specialized industry knowledge? C'mon you can find everything on google, remember?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19767 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
No sarcasm needed.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
NRmind
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of NRmind
How advanced does one have to be to retain coaching services? (Ballpark estimation)

I imagine the information would be too much overload for a beginner, correct? Or no?

Should you have done 100 paid gigs? 200? Etc?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19767 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I should imagine it depends upon the coach and the student.

Many students who are decades down the road make the same bad decisions. They will be stuck because of mindset.

A beginner with the right mindset and lack of preconceived notions could do quite well.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9580 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Apr 25, 2017, NRmind wrote:
How advanced does one have to be to retain coaching services? (Ballpark estimation)

I imagine the information would be too much overload for a beginner, correct? Or no?

This truly depends on the coach, their approach and what is being offered. More and more performers are starting to realize and utilize my coaching services (I can only speak for myself) from the beginning or very early on once deciding to perform for pay. Many are starting to realize that forming the right approach and foundation from the beginning or very early stages is far better than trying to do it yourself without direction, understanding or structure, only to eventually have to go back and correct their errors, bad habits and missteps already created in an attempt to do it on their own. It is different for each person.

I have found people come to coaching in one of 4 areas or levels, and for one (or more) of 12 different reasons. For beginners it really is simply a matter of do they want to try to figure it out on their own or seek assistance, guidance and specialized education during this process? For example I have my GSIEB training which is for those new, newer or just starting out, and then my EBS training that others here more recently have been referring to. Many things come into play such as what level you are currently at, your interest and goals, what you are pursuing, what you are trying to achieve, the type of performer you are or are trying to become, etc. Many factors to consider and come into play.

My own preference is someone who hasn't yet had a chance to develop poor habits with their approach, yet has had some performing experience, even if only attempted performing experience as a starting point or point of reference. I've also had a student from Germany, whose father contacted me the moment his son decided he wanted to be a live performer, only recently having had made that decision with his parents. The parents felt it was best in the name of time, progress and completeness, to start with a mentor, coach and trainer from the very beginning. So I was offered to work with him to take his first steps beginning with an introduction to his performing discipline of interest. Literally from the beginning, as he only only ever seen this type of performer on television, never even live. Others have some level of their own experience and seek assistance to take their performing business to the next (or different) levels. So again, it is a matter of preference.

Most coaches only operate in one area or topic of coaching, and then usually from their own perspective. As stated earlier, not all coaches are equal. Most of what I post about and discuss here is for performers on varying levels. However, outside of here The Magic Café and the larger entertainment community) I also have a separate skew of my coaching, consulting and training business that is not targeted to performers, but to a more general target showing how live entertainment and entertainment owned and operated business can be a very viable home-based business or part-time income offering many benefits and advantages over other conventional opportunities home-based business opportunities, often with much greater earning potential, less than normal start-up and operational costs, and greater profitability. I have always truly believed entertainment is the ideal small business opportunity, even if one is not a performer themselves. So I have for 30 years also introduced the concept of live entertainment as a job, career or business opportunity to tends of thousands worldwide at career fairs, high schools, colleges and entrepreneur events. I don't talk about it much here because it is a consumer level market branch of my business, but the point for bringing this into this post is to demonstrate that I have for years worked with many that have absolutely no experience or even knowledge and have just learned about the possibilities of entertainment as a business opportunity.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19767 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Breaking the bad habits of a student is the toughest job of any coach.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
NRmind
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of NRmind
Thank you SO much for the insightful answers. I really want to consider coaching as I've done it in the past regarding "the day job" and I did find it very helpful. Ironically that coach told me he thought I should pursue turning magic into more than just a hobby as it tapped into more of my "strengths" than finance did. Lol.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19767 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Using some of that business knowledge will help that effort.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
cafecheckers
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of cafecheckers
Quote:
On Apr 25, 2017, NRmind wrote:

I do think it the answer will vary based upon a number of factors. A few things to consider would be:
-How committed is the individual? A coach should not be used to reduce your personal time investment - (if anything it becomes more, just better dirrected).
-What is the purpose of seeking a coach? As Mindpro often states, ones own perceptions of their needs may differ from the viewpoint of a seasoned coach. Honest feedback seldom comes from family, friends and non-performing peers.
-How much risk can you afford? Financial investment in anything increases your risk. Can you afford to increase your risk? This is a personal decision. If not, there are alternative ways that might be less effective but lower risk to go, until you are in a position to assume greater investment risk. This is true of any component of your business, including props,equipment, promotionl materials and such.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Coaching (49 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11..22~23~24 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL