The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Coaching (49 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8..22~23~24 [Next]
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2662 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
To be clear about the guarantee thing, I’m not saying everyone should or should not offer one. Simply pointing out that many selling to those that don’t know them do offer some type of guarantee.

Now if you only selling to those few that know you then you probably don’t need one. That is, if they already trust you. It’s all about trust. But if you are putting yourself out there to everyone, especially on the internet, or hiding your real name, you have to win that trust. A guarantee will certainly help ease the mind of strangers.


Tom
Do What Others Do And You Will Become Average

The Daycare Magician Book
www.amazekids.com/magic-downloads/childrens-magic-ebooks/the-daycare-magician/

Tom Boleware
www.tomboleware.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19766 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You just keep beating that same drum don't you?

It is sad.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
cafecheckers
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of cafecheckers
Quote:
On Mar 24, 2017, RobertSmith wrote:
Oh, there's that and 99.99999% of what any magic "coach" could tell you can be found for free searching the Café or even this cool new website called Google.
-Robert

Quote:
I think this is an opinion or perception of someone who truly doesn't understand or has not experienced working with a coach. While I am not a "magic coach" I work with many magicians and I can assure you 95% of my core content will not be found from a Google search and most not previously published or available elsewhere.

Quote:
So, what? You're like some sage who discovered a secret that no one else has?


I just watched two of Robert Smith's vlogs on the Fair Market. I found both of them to be very informative - saving viewers potential time and money if pursuing the Fair Market, provide advice he accumulated through personal experience, and offer insights that expend one's mind on ways to approach the markets they serve or hope to one day serve. It made the exchange above seem odd though. If 99.99999% of information is free and easy to find, why the need for his vlogs? He mentioned in one vlog I viewed that his offering is that from a performers perspective - what if he also had experience hiring acts for fairs? Would his vlogs offer differing or additional advice? He shared that it took him years to know the proper way to approach the Fair Market - why, if it is true that the necessary information is so available?

Consider someone in my situation, that has a lifetime of a career ahead of me - not sure exactly what direction to go, and wanting to explore the possibilities in a way that is best linked to my skill sets, ambitions, life style choices, financial desires and such. Doesn't it make sense for me to seek assistance from one who is willing to know me, understand me and draw upon a diverse body of experience and knowledge to guide me?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19766 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea, no.

I see what you are getting at and on the surface it makes sense. BUT again does it not rob you of actually learning? Is being told something the same as "learning" it?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2017, Cafécheckers wrote:

I just watched two of Robert Smith's vlogs on the Fair Market. I found both of them to be very informative - saving viewers potential time and money if pursuing the Fair Market, provide advice he accumulated through personal experience, and offer insights that expend one's mind on ways to approach the markets they serve or hope to one day serve. It made the exchange above seem odd though. If 99.99999% of information is free and easy to find, why the need for his vlogs? He mentioned in one vlog I viewed that his offering is that from a performers perspective - what if he also had experience hiring acts for fairs? Would his vlogs offer differing or additional advice? He shared that it took him years to know the proper way to approach the Fair Market - why, if it is true that the necessary information is so available?

Consider someone in my situation, that has a lifetime of a career ahead of me - not sure exactly what direction to go, and wanting to explore the possibilities in a way that is best linked to my skill sets, ambitions, life style choices, financial desires and such. Doesn't it make sense for me to seek assistance from one who is willing to know me, understand me and draw upon a diverse body of experience and knowledge to guide me?


Great points.

Here's some clarification and thoughts to consider.

Every single platform you use on a daily basis, was born inside of the last 10 years. Was the information I needed available then? Yes. But it was much more difficult to get to. Back then I allowed myself to be seduced by convincing sales letters written by some "guru" for a program promising to have clients cramming money into your pockets. Only later did I find out that many of these people selling school show courses, corporate magic courses etc etc, started selling a course for $497 or $97 or $77 or whatever, after having done all of 10-20 shows.

That was the point of me saying...

Quote:
RobertSmith, Mar 20, 2017 09:39pm
Are there viable coaches? Sure. But I wouldn't ever consider one without verifying the veracity of their claims.


You used the words, "free and easy to find," in your post. I never said easy. It is EASIER than it was when I started out in 2002. But you've got to work to get it.

Here's an example...I just listened to a podcast yesterday that had an interview with Gazzo. Let me tell you something, there was more value to an upcoming magician in that one interview than in any course you can buy.

The information IS out there now. The internet is at scale. So if folks want to spend $497 for a "course." Or $34.95/mo to have a 1 hour consult every month, go for it. You do you.

I'll keep sharing my information. For free. There will NEVER be a time when I tease you with a little information to get you to buy my course. There's no course. I'm not a coach. I'm not a guru. I'm a practitioner.

Thanks man for the discussion. Solid. I really appreciate your thoughts.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2662 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Cafécheckers, to add a few thoughts about choosing a mentor, and if I can I will use Robert for an example.

I have known Robert for a very long time and I have watched him grow into a true professional. He is the real deal. And I know this not because he told me he is, he doesn’t come on here to brag and tell us how great he is. I know he is the real deal from others in the fair market speaking highly of him. He goes out of his way to promote not just himself but ‘others’ in the fair market as well as the entire market. The highly ups in that market love him. But regardless of your own market, you can learn from Robert. Much about running a business and marketing in general can be applied to different markets.

I had the privilege of knowing one of the late greats when it comes to understanding the fair market and how it works. John Owens was a friend of my and what I understand he took Robert under his wing and showed him the ropes as they say.

So I trust Robert and his information not because he told me too, but because others have told me I could.

I say all this to point out that the best way to find a good guru/coach/consultant or whichever word you want to use to describe your teacher, is to not trust everything they tell you about themselves. Rather you should listen to what others have to say about that person and his work.

And it’s also important to notice how the potential teacher treats other people. There is an ole saying that has a lot of truth to it, “what you say about others tells me more about you than the others.”

Tom
Do What Others Do And You Will Become Average

The Daycare Magician Book
www.amazekids.com/magic-downloads/childrens-magic-ebooks/the-daycare-magician/

Tom Boleware
www.tomboleware.com
Jay Jennings
View Profile
Loyal user
Scottsdale, AZ
234 Posts

Profile of Jay Jennings
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
I see what you are getting at and on the surface it makes sense. BUT again does it not rob you of actually learning? Is being told something the same as "learning" it?


That's what school is (and books, videos, etc.) -- someone tells you something you didn't know so you can learn it.

Learning from your own experiences and learning from the experiences of others are both valuable avenues -- not taking advantage of the latter sounds to me like it could be due to ego.

Jay
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19766 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ever read "Zen in the Art of Archery"?

The entire book is predicated on the theory. So you must be saying that the heart of Zen is an ego problem. Got it.

You must know better than a thousands year old philosophy. Got it.

Just because you don't understand, doesn't automatically make it an ego issue. Ironically enough it might be an ego issue that causes this.

You should read the book and the next one. They are not that big, and are worthwhile.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jay Jennings
View Profile
Loyal user
Scottsdale, AZ
234 Posts

Profile of Jay Jennings
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
Ever read "Zen in the Art of Archery"?

The entire book is predicated on the theory. So you must be saying that the heart of Zen is an ego problem. Got it.

You must know better than a thousands year old philosophy. Got it.

Just because you don't understand, doesn't automatically make it an ego issue. Ironically enough it might be an ego issue that causes this.

You should read the book and the next one. They are not that big, and are worthwhile.


I posted an obvious opinion ("sounds to me") and even said I may not know the real reason ("could be").

I suspect more than one thousands year old philosophies could be shown to be flawed as time marches on and more knowledge is gained.

Jay

(But no, I never read the book -- although I now have a hold on it at the local college library.)
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19766 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Don't bother to do research prior to throwing out an obvious attack.

I'm certain by the end of the week you will have all Zen philosophy disproven.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jay Jennings
View Profile
Loyal user
Scottsdale, AZ
234 Posts

Profile of Jay Jennings
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
Don't bother to do research prior to throwing out an obvious attack.

I'm certain by the end of the week you will have all Zen philosophy disproven.


Dude, you are the Master of attacks. You asked a question and I gave my answer, then you jumped all over me.

If you KNEW the freaking answer, why did you ask? If you don't want opinions, don't ask questions.

Jay
WDavis
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Profile of WDavis
A few points to illustrate here:
1. From Checkers, he had an idea of what he was receiving so the label doesn't matter. I beg to disagree, to paraphrase Abraham Lincoln, if we call a dog's tail a leg; how many legs does a dog have? --- 4 because calling a tail a leg doesn't change it to a leg. Labels facilitate understanding an communication, if we remove them then the system of human interaction breakdown.

2. While Robert Smith has chosen to offer his knowledge for free, others choose to charge. Neither is better than the other and I interpret the discourse as a firm stance by Robert against charging. What does matter is the why someone choses to hire a consultant/coach/etc. The reason is twofold: the expectation of the consultant is she saves time and/or money.

3. Human beings receive free advise from others all the time, many times unsolicited. The outcome is much of the advise goes unheeded, yet if we pay for the advise we are more likely to implement it.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9579 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
So well said.

Like Robert I have offered absolutely sound free advice consistently here for over a decade now and only made several of my releases, products and services offered here because they were asked for, repeatedly. Information has value, as well as can improve the recipient's value and worth when utilized. You are correct, advice and information is received and viewed much differently when being paid for.

Also information is subjective only to the current level of the recipient. While some here find Robert's free information quite helpful, it is likely because it is new info to them. To others that know this information or even greater info than he offers on the topic, its less appealing or beneficial. Does that make it bad info no, but it is based on the recipient.

Nothing wrong with free advice and info, but premium advice at a cost is what advance education is based upon.
cafecheckers
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of cafecheckers
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2017, WDavis wrote:
1. From Checkers, he had an idea of what he was receiving so the label doesn't matter. I beg to disagree, to paraphrase Abraham Lincoln, if we call a dog's tail a leg; how many legs does a dog have? --- 4 because calling a tail a leg doesn't change it to a leg. Labels facilitate understanding an communication, if we remove them then the system of human interaction breakdown..


Is Pluto a planet? While this is an interesting discussion for scientists to quibble about and change their minds back and fourth, to the rest of us if we allow ourselves to freeze in our tracks, it is only our loss.

Not everything fits into neat nice buckets. Until new definitions are created, and accepted by the masses, we do often have to deal with what you refer to as "human interaction breakdown". Truth be told, it was never as built up as you present though.

Am I a magician? If not, please tell me what I am because I am dying to know. I do not believe I am, but that is what my customers keep referring to me as. I identify myself as a children's entertainer, but for the masses I am a magician. I am trying to change that, but it is a process. I wish things were as easy as your anology.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19766 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I guess in the end it comes to if you got benefit from it, NO MATTER WHAT IT IS CALLED, then money well spent.

You paid for a service, you feel that service was fulfilled and then some.

In reality it is not even for me to say anything. I pose a different point of view. I do NOT say what Lou does is bad, or what mindpro does is bad. I simply point out that there are many other ways to go about it.

Lou's course (On another thread.) seems to inspire people to action. THAT ALONE is good.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2017, Mindpro wrote:
So well said.

Like Robert I have offered absolutely sound free advice consistently here for over a decade now and only made several of my releases, products and services offered here because they were asked for, repeatedly. Information has value, as well as can improve the recipient's value and worth when utilized. You are correct, advice and information is received and viewed much differently when being paid for.

Also information is subjective only to the current level of the recipient. While some here find Robert's free information quite helpful, it is likely because it is new info to them. To others that know this information or even greater info than he offers on the topic, its less appealing or beneficial. Does that make it bad info no, but it is based on the recipient.

Nothing wrong with free advice and info, but premium advice at a cost is what advance education is based upon.


"Nothing wrong with free advice...but..."

I always appreciate your feedback even if I don't necessarily agree with it. The beauty of being in business for myself and now developing my personal brand is the market decides whether I stay or go. Not you. Not me. The market.

If you want to tout your knowledge, but only for a price, go for it.
There's no difference between you charging a price for your information and a magic creator charging a price for their trick.

And just like with magic, there's tricks that are amazing and tricks that suck.

Just make sure you're not selling cheap plastic cups and balls while touting them as Sherwood Cups.
There's a difference and the market will sniff you out and expose you.
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2017, WDavis wrote:
A few points to illustrate here:

2. While Robert Smith has chosen to offer his knowledge for free, others choose to charge. Neither is better than the other and I interpret the discourse as a firm stance by Robert against charging. What does matter is the why someone choses to hire a consultant/coach/etc. The reason is twofold: the expectation of the consultant is she saves time and/or money.


Nope. Go read what I wrote again.

I cleary stated I'm not against the idea of coaches provided I could verify the veracity of their claims. In other words, they have to be credible. For instance, if someone sold a "Quit Smoking" course or a weight loss course but they themselves were over weight or smokers, you wouldn't find them very credible, would you?

Just like when a "busy kids magician" sells a course but you know they've only done a couple dozen kids shows, you might not find them credible.

That's my point.

Nothing I'm saying here or on my vlog is new. I'm relaying my personal experience. It's all out there.
Just like nothig Mindpro is charging for is new or breakthrough. But it's super easy to tout yourself anonymously where there's no risk of beig exposed.

I'm not against paying for information. But I want it from a credible source.
WDavis
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Profile of WDavis
CaféCheckers,
while my personal choice from childhood education wants to call Pluto a planet, I have to hold to the scientific labeling that it is not. You are correct that the masses determine the word use. Which is my point. Lexicon is for the most part consistent across the majority of english speakers. Proof - we are communicating currently. But, when one doesn't know the correct terms, doesn't care to use the proper terms, and proceeds to mislabel and misuse said terms among those whom both know and don't know the correct terminology confusion amounts. proof - 4 pages on a forum with most arguing the terminology used to describe the differences between a coach, consultant, mentor, guru, or what ever.

You (possibly your brother, the other Checkers) mentioned a desire to become professional and increase in business acumen. The first step towards professional credibility with business acumen is using the correct business language. It doesn't matter how well one can perform, regardless of the task, if the individual cannot communicate with the appropriate business terms, her credibility is diminished.

Furthermore, you stated you aren't sure of what you are labeled as. The markets in which you operate have in their lexicon labeled you as a magician and you wish you to change that label. If you really want to "rebrand yourself" to your markets there are alignment matters you will need to address. You should talk with your consultant, MindPro, on addressing that concern. (hint: review your product offering and STP framework)

RobertSmith, I am not understanding the condescending nature of your words towards me. I'm presuming so from your imperative command of "Nope. Go read what I wrote again." This implies I didn't understand what you wrote. I assure you I did. I was referring to your commentary:

Quote:
RobertSmith:
The information IS out there now. The internet is at scale. So if folks want to spend $497 for a "course." Or $34.95/mo to have a 1 hour consult every month, go for it. You do you.

I'll keep sharing my information. For free. There will NEVER be a time when I tease you with a little information to get you to buy my course. There's no course. I'm not a coach. I'm not a guru. I'm a practitioner.

Thanks man for the discussion. Solid. I really appreciate your thoughts.


Rereading my comment, "...I interpret the discourse as a firm stance by Robert against charging", I can see how the confusion arose. Please understand, I never intended that you were against others charging, but that you personally are against charging. I can understand the confusion, and I apologize for the that.
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
On Mar 28, 2017, WDavis wrote:
CaféCheckers,
while my personal choice from childhood education wants to call Pluto a planet, I have to hold to the scientific labeling that it is not. You are correct that the masses determine the word use. Which is my point. Lexicon is for the most part consistent across the majority of english speakers. Proof - we are communicating currently. But, when one doesn't know the correct terms, doesn't care to use the proper terms, and proceeds to mislabel and misuse said terms among those whom both know and don't know the correct terminology confusion amounts. proof - 4 pages on a forum with most arguing the terminology used to describe the differences between a coach, consultant, mentor, guru, or what ever.

You (possibly your brother, the other Checkers) mentioned a desire to become professional and increase in business acumen. The first step towards professional credibility with business acumen is using the correct business language. It doesn't matter how well one can perform, regardless of the task, if the individual cannot communicate with the appropriate business terms, her credibility is diminished.

Furthermore, you stated you aren't sure of what you are labeled as. The markets in which you operate have in their lexicon labeled you as a magician and you wish you to change that label. If you really want to "rebrand yourself" to your markets there are alignment matters you will need to address. You should talk with your consultant, MindPro, on addressing that concern. (hint: review your product offering and STP framework)

RobertSmith, I am not understanding the condescending nature of your words towards me. I'm presuming so from your imperative command of "Nope. Go read what I wrote again." This implies I didn't understand what you wrote. I assure you I did. I was referring to your commentary:

Quote:
RobertSmith:
The information IS out there now. The internet is at scale. So if folks want to spend $497 for a "course." Or $34.95/mo to have a 1 hour consult every month, go for it. You do you.

I'll keep sharing my information. For free. There will NEVER be a time when I tease you with a little information to get you to buy my course. There's no course. I'm not a coach. I'm not a guru. I'm a practitioner.

Thanks man for the discussion. Solid. I really appreciate your thoughts.


Rereading my comment, "...I interpret the discourse as a firm stance by Robert against charging", I can see how the confusion arose. Please understand, I never intended that you were against others charging, but that you personally are against charging. I can understand the confusion, and I apologize for the that.



First, no condescension intended. And second, I totally see the way you meant that now. Lost in translation. We're good. Thanks for clarifying.
cafecheckers
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of cafecheckers
Quote:
On Mar 28, 2017, WDavis wrote:
CaféCheckers,
while my personal choice from childhood education wants to call Pluto a planet, I have to hold to the scientific labeling that it is not. You are correct that the masses determine the word use. Which is my point. Lexicon is for the most part consistent across the majority of english speakers. Proof - we are communicating currently. But, when one doesn't know the correct terms, doesn't care to use the proper terms, and proceeds to mislabel and misuse said terms among those whom both know and don't know the correct terminology confusion amounts. proof - 4 pages on a forum with most arguing the terminology used to describe the differences between a coach, consultant, mentor, guru, or what ever.


The reason for confusion in terminology in this thread is due to the fact that often services provided cross over the strictest definition of the terms being shared, and to date we (society) have decided to accept that "confusion" rather than create the infinite number of terms to accommodate the possible combinations of potential services offered. One simply uses the term that most closely matches with the commonly accepted term that best defines what they offer.

The reason why I do not have a term to exactly describe my service, is not because I do not know what it is called, it is because the term does not exist.

Creating term after term to describe every nuance in every subject matter adds it's own level of confusion to our language and communication. We just have to decide which type of confusion we are more willing to live with.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Coaching (49 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8..22~23~24 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL