The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Coaching (49 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..20~21~22~23~24 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19761 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Absolutely true. The VAST majority of coaches exist in order to justify their fee. No doubt.

Thisin no way invalidates the process, or speaks to the efficiency of ALL coaches.

My problem is when any of us wants to universalize their own experience. I personally do but benefit from coaching in business and never thought I would. This does not mean it isn't a very good idea for others.

Everyone had their own experience they bring to the table. All of it is valid in one way or the other. Nobody is wrong about having our not having a coach. It is all about what is right for you.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
cafecheckers
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of cafecheckers
Now that this thread is unlocked and I have been full time for a while, I thought I would post an update on how coaching has impacted me and my business.

Shortly after I graduated college last May, I realized that if I hoped to reach my goals and time lines, I would need greater assistance. Specifically, I began focusing on markets I previously only dabbled in - schools and fair/festival. I also needed more guidance in how to simultaneously build out my greater vision of a more encompassing entertainment company. I invested more time and money into coaching and related services Mindpro offers. I needed to evaluate and improve nearly every aspect of my business.

Mindpro attended two of my performances and viewed video of several additional complete shows. He observed and provided detailed critique of every component of my appearance - from the time I arrived on site, unloaded my vehicle, set up, performed my show, interacted with the audience and clients afterwards, packed out and left. Previously, I relied on audience reaction, client feedback, rebooking and word of mouth success, family and friends in determining my level of proficiency.

Through the coaching process I realized how much I was missing in terms of opportunity for improvement. I was able to address and improve nearly every aspect of my work. It is so exciting to look back and realize how much I have grown. This is most true of my actual performance quality, because I take pride in how I present myself. I see big improvements in my set, show structure and interactions with clients.

I hired Mindpro to produce my show, but also needed to have materials that clearly communicated how my services fulfilled the desires of potential client. He and his staff created pieces for me and we discussed how/why certain things were incorporated and how they work to achieve the desired results. This was a great learning experience regarding both the specific elements as well as broader business insights.

Being full time has created far more moments where I need guidance and direction, so our frequent conversations help me better address time sensitive decision making for more lucrative outcomes. My earnings and bookings have improved, but it’s not practical to compare to last year, because I was not full time. I am looking forward to 2020 and 2021, when I can really look at year on year growth. I also look at growth relative to achieving my longer term goals of building a more diverse children’s entertainment company. Much of our coaching conversations and actions include this component as well.

For those who have been here when my brother performed regularly with me, I want to share that he is doing well, married, and enjoying his medical residency. He also remains a business partner, contributor to our products, and occasional performer.

I share this update because I hope to encourage others who have ambitions to grow beyond their current level to seek professional guidance, if they believe it will be beneficial. Initially, great advice can be obtained for free right here in the business section. The key is to be humble, ask and be willing to listen. It would be great to hear from others how they approach the desire to build their business, and how they look to others for guidance.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19761 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Now there is a guy coaching worked for!

By the way anyone interested in my coaching services I can sum it up in two words.

Contact Mindpro.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
thomasR
View Profile
Special user
846 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Well no one is saying you’re getting lazy!! Ha.
Nice to hear a report
cafecheckers
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of cafecheckers
Thanks for the responses! I imagine, being a coach is not for everyone, as Danny mentions - even longtime successful entertainers. Mindpro has prepared an insane amount of course work, programs, and materials for development in many aspects of entertainment business. When he says his coaching is like an MBA program I know most read it as him bragging, but having experienced it first hand, I can say that it is, in that it is focused on one obtaining a deep understanding of various aspects of their business. Many on TMC can read his posts and see his wisdom, but when it is directed towards my business I get to experience the benefit of knowledge gained live time, it is most rewarding!

Some specific recent examples of where I have gained enormously from my interactions with Mindpro is BOR and Promotional Video preparation. We have sold BOR on and off for nearly nine years. For some period of time I stopped doing so because I felt the BOR was not serving my brand well and often not worth the effort in terms of $ sold. I went back to offering BOR a while ago and Mindpro was able to view my approach and offer advice with respect to placement in my show and verbiage. My sales have gone up exponentially. It is very encouraging to see so many more fans purchasing my branded items.
I currently have the opportunity to have a past client contact many of his associates across the market he is in to promote my services. I am making a video to augment his message. I have a short turn around time. Mindpro has worked tirelessly on viewing my material and offering extremely detailed critique on every aspect of the content and production over multiple edits. My finished product is considerably better that I would have created without such assistance. Details matter in everything we do, but the details Mindpro offered in this video can have an enormous impact on potential clients first impression of my business. I cant imagine conducting such activities void of professional guidance.

These are just a few examples where I can see immediate results, but much of what I am learning takes discipline to apply and time to work towards perfection. It is not intended to be a quick fix.
thomasR
View Profile
Special user
846 Posts

Profile of thomasR
It’s great you are seeing results. Are you handling the video editing yourself? Or you are working with a video editor / producer? Do you see mindro as the producer of your video? A consultant?
cafecheckers
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of cafecheckers
I did the editing myself. Compared to those who I compete with, I am proficient in the technical aspects.. I prepared a first draft based upon knowledge and insights I have gained from Mindpro over the years on elements and content centered around a show I had professionally filmed. Mindpro offered critique on the draft. Specifically, he suggested that I reshoot my intro because he didn’t like the background I choose.
He also pointed out ares where my music choice could be improved to better create the desired atmosphere. This is where we spend time broadening my understanding by discussing the “why” behind his critique.
thomasR
View Profile
Special user
846 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Makes sense.
cafecheckers
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of cafecheckers
An important aspect of the benefit I have received from recent coaching is knowing when to slow down my ambition in furthering business relationships with current clients. My natural tendency is to get them to immediately see how much more we could accomplish by working more closely together on future projects. Unfortunately, this has at times lead to the client not being aligned to my vision, which can have negative consequences. Mindpro has been most helpful in making me understand why this occurs and how to grow in my relationships more appropriately. I believe this could be an area where many people struggle.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19761 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Sounds better than getting free advice about free ads.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9572 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Yes, I must say some very exciting things have been happening and this has been a great year. I am even more excited for what is in store in 2020. Cafécheckers in just this short amount of time we have been working together has propelled past most everyone to being near or at the top of his markets (2). He has positioned himself in a class all by himself and is mastering 4 of the 5 types of bookings with his business operational system firing on all cylinders. This has led to some very interesting and exciting opportunities - opportunities that many that have done this for 30, 40 or 50 years have never achieved or made possible.

Where many performers are wondering how their next year, two or more will be, he already has this knowledge firmly in place with room for many additional strategic opportunities to be added. While he may not always speak of it, he has gone from a silent partner in a performing duo who had absolutely little or no dealing in the business aspects of the act (his partner handled this) to becoming and rising to the top of his markets in just the short time we've been working together - all while just in his first few months of working full-time, is such an accomplishment that he should be very proud of.

Very exciting times.
cafecheckers
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of cafecheckers
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2019, Mindpro wrote:. While he may not always speak of it, he has gone from a silent partner in a performing duo who had absolutely little or no dealing in the business aspects of the act (his partner handled this) to becoming and rising to the top of his markets in just the short time we've been working together - all while just in his first few months of working full-time, is such an accomplishment that he should be very proud of.
Very exciting times.

I have my brother to thank for doing an incredible job of running our business when he was very young himself. He had the wisdom to come here and learn so much from experienced entertainers. When I made the decision to continue our venture as my full time occupation, he also had the insight to encourage me to seek coaching from Mindpro. He constructed our business to be good at what it was (a part time entity to raise money for college expenses). Growing into a successful career demanded advice and expertise beyond our narrow scope. Simply doing more of the same activities was not going to be enough. As Danny Doyle mentions from time to time: “What got you here wont get your there”.

I have come to enjoy the business aspects of the business more. This is in large part due to the confidence I have gained by following what Mindpro teaches. I know that the way I am doing things creates a positive image in the minds of current and potential clients, This makes me much more sure of myself and it comes across in the way I speak and interact with others. The success it brings in return builds confidence as well.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9572 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Nov 16, 2019, Cafécheckers wrote:
Growing into a successful career demanded advice and expertise beyond our narrow scope. Simply doing more of the same activities was not going to be enough. As Danny Doyle mentions from time to time: “What got you here wont get your there”.

I have come to enjoy the business aspects of the business more.

I think you've hit it on the head right there, not just you, but with much of the magic community and really most other types of performers as well. Most begin with little or no knowledge and skills. They learn a few of the elementary basics which is enough to get going. For most, it ends there. They have enough at that point but cease continuing to learn, grow, advance, and evolve. You are right, simply doing more of these minimal basics will NOT be enough or get you any further than that very basic level. In performance and business. That saying of Danny's is one of my favorites too (I may have to borrow it in my trainings, lol.)

Most do not have the proper business knowledge beyond the basic or surface scope. Then it's usually basic general busienss at best. This needs to be realized and then addressed to create a solution. Unfortunately, and I see it every day, most never have the realization or think they can figure it out on their own. I am so glad other professionals (Doctors, Lawyers, Auto/Plane Mechanics, etc.) in other professions do not think this way.

I also agree with your next point - "I have come to enjoy the business aspects of the business more." We fear (and often dread) what we don't know. However, the one thing that I have found consistently through my coaching, consulting, training, and mentoring is that when that fear is replaced with desire or at least true willingness to want to learn or evolve their current level of entertainment business knowledge, it actually becomes enjoyable, exciting and for those that love strategic creativity, actually fun! Especially for performers. We love the creative and entertaining side of what we do. Taking your knowledge and skills and doing it for others for their enjoyment, amazement, and experience. Well, entertainment business is really the same exact thing. The same creativity and personality that we use in our performance is exactly what entertainment business is all about. It is also just as much rewarding as performing itself to many of those I have trained and worked with.

I think it is also actually quite fun to learn the intricacies of entertainment business and how it differs so much from conventional or traditional business. Entertainment is a non-traditional business, so why would one expect traditional business to apply and be optimal? I've always believed, and most of my students will attest, entertainment business is simply more stimulating, inviting, and fun.

It is no longer feared, dreaded or negatively perceived. Instead, it is inviting, anticipating and for some even something they get excited about, enjoy and look forward to every day. There is something extremely exciting to know that whenever the phone rings or you talk to a prospect that that conversation is worth $1,000, $1,500, $2,500, $3,500 or more 70-80% of the time, even for the local $300-$500 performer.

For many this business knowledge, skills and strategies almost becomes a game they enjoy playing every day. Even for those that don't enjoy it on that level, it at least becomes much less intimidating, easy to implement, and can make a world of difference in their performing and income, whether part-time or full. And most are doing this on only 2 hours a day, four days a week once in place.

I do think these are many of the benefits that performers do not even realize until they get into entertainment business and get beyond their being stuck at their current level. Most are there because of themselves, and it is only themselves that must decide to change this, become properly educated and overcome their usually self-imposed obstacles.

Great perspective from Cafécheckers.
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1844 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
I have recently started having MindPro coach me. I am very happy with his service and would recommend him to any performer.
thomasR
View Profile
Special user
846 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:
On Dec 2, 2019, KC Cameron wrote:
I have recently started having MindPro coach me. I am very happy with his service and would recommend him to any performer.

Did you speak with any other potential coaches before hiring him?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19761 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
He spoke to Mike Ditka but he was out of the price range
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1844 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
I have researched others. I got the best recommendations for MindPro.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19761 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
To be fair I like to needle Mindpro because he is a good friend. Nobody should take that as me taking shots at him, his abilities or his program.

I always recommend him when asked. I say things to be amusing but right where the rubber meets the road he is a great coach.

My personal career trajectory would probably not benefited much from a coach. This says more about me than the process.

Mindpro has a lot of experience in areas of entertainment I've never even brushed up against. He is also great at the business end of these things. I believe you will continue to benefit from the purchase.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1959 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
There are some interesting perspectives being discussed across several threads that relate to coaching. Mike Clay has a great post that puts website design, SEO and such in proper context. So many invest a great deal in such areas with no perspective as to where they actually should be investing. They never seek to better understand. Coaching from the right person can save a great deal of time and money that is improperly spent.
Another thread speaks specifically of Mindpro’s coaching as to its worth. ThomasR suggests that if KC Cameron receives his desired outcome, the coaching was worth the money spent. While that is true, I really like how K.C. responded by stating it was already worth his money, period. One cannot always determine value or worth solely on achieving the desired outcome. There is a great deal more to achieving success than hiring the best coach (or not hiring a coach). One should do so to increase their knowledge and improve their odds of success. Never should one believe that if they invest in a coach, they will automatically be successful. Many people., however “fail” and leave feeling it was worth it, just in the learning experience itself.
Danny points out that a coach is not necessary for one to achieve their goals. This is true as well, but for many who do not possess the business experience or have exposure to those that do, it can be a great learning experience. My brother continues to develop his entertainment business skills and I have personally witnessed his growth. These are capabilities he will be able to use throughout his lifetime.
thomasR
View Profile
Special user
846 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Personally, I wouldn't hire mindpro on the simple fact that his performing website is so painfully out date.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Coaching (49 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..20~21~22~23~24 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL