The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Crash and Burn (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3586 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Yes, Danny, it is not good. Our government is already controlling (influencing) our behavior. The problem is they are influencing our behavior for the best interest of pharmaceutical companies, not the best interest of the people.

You are right, you can't control your neighbors behavior, but our government which is supposed to represent US, does exert a tremendous influence over your neighbors behavior. That is the problem.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20244 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Absolutely.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I think that more information is better than less education, though I question the impact you (IKJ) seem to accord it. To the extent thist people's behavior affects their health adversely, the far bigger issue than lack of information is lack of willpower. Look at what people do with the information they DO have. Everyone knows exercise is good, smoking is bad, and spinach is healthier than French Fries. Calorie counts are posted in many restaurants. And as a society, what do we do woth that informations.,
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Socialized Medicine for all and accountability for none!

Or...

Eat, Drink, and be Merry for tomorrow we claim disability!
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2017, LobowolfXXX wrote:
I think that more information is better than less education, though I question the impact you (IKJ) seem to accord it. To the extent thist people's behavior affects their health adversely, the far bigger issue than lack of information is lack of willpower. Look at what people do with the information they DO have. Everyone knows exercise is good, smoking is bad, and spinach is healthier than French Fries. Calorie counts are posted in many restaurants. And as a society, what do we do woth that informations.,


Ignore it, because it's uncomfortable.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3586 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2017, LobowolfXXX wrote:
I think that more information is better than less education, though I question the impact you (IKJ) seem to accord it. To the extent thist people's behavior affects their health adversely, the far bigger issue than lack of information is lack of willpower. Look at what people do with the information they DO have. Everyone knows exercise is good, smoking is bad, and spinach is healthier than French Fries. Calorie counts are posted in many restaurants. And as a society, what do we do woth that informations.,


I agree with you. I am always amazed when I see people younger than about 70 smoking. I can understand the 70 and older crowd, when they started, it was a different world. We should all know better now.

kj
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
If we believe in free will or rational choice then "we all know" would suffice - ... maybe. IMHO those notions pertain to possibility more than facts.
A history teacher in middle school started off the year discussing history in terms of habits. There's also economics - choices in context. And of course we learn by example - that which gets elicits punishment is "bad" and that which gets rewarded is "good". Basic behaviorism, no allegory required.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4821 Posts

Profile of landmark
Most people seem to think that advertising and propaganda only work for the other guy. Not so. The systems are sophisticated with plenty of research and empirical feedback invested into them and multi-layered. No one is immune.

And if you're thinking that it's not applicable to you...well then you just chose the card with the bent corner.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2017, landmark wrote:
Most people seem to think that advertising and propaganda only work for the other guy. Not so. The systems are sophisticated with plenty of research and empirical feedback invested into them and multi-layered. No one is immune.

And if you're thinking that it's not applicable to you...well then you just chose the card with the bent corner.



Well, obviously someone's gotten to you.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4821 Posts

Profile of landmark
Oh, absolutely. No one is immune. It takes enormous vigilance to see when it's happening, and the most significant influencers are not at all apparent. For those of us of the rational persuasion, probably the hardest part is evaluating facts within a context that is not fully understood.

But let's pick the low-hanging fruit: What brand of toothpaste did you use this morning? How did that come about? What did you drink with dinner last night? Why that brand?

From there we can go on to statements like "my country is the greatest in the world," and with more difficulty,"It's mine, not yours."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20244 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I like how you move to your agenda so gracefully.

Toothpaste, because by dentist said so.

Water with dinner.

I have traveled much of the planet and I prefer where I live. Greatest country is the equivalent of a world's greatest dad t-shirt. Not sure how official any of those rankings actually are.

Then to your inevitable agenda piece. Am I not allowed to own anything?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2017, landmark wrote:
Oh, absolutely. No one is immune. It takes enormous vigilance to see when it's happening, and the most significant influencers are not at all apparent. For those of us of the rational persuasion, probably the hardest part is evaluating facts within a context that is not fully understood.

But let's pick the low-hanging fruit: What brand of toothpaste did you use this morning? How did that come about? What did you drink with dinner last night? Why that brand?

From there we can go on to statements like "my country is the greatest in the world," and with more difficulty,"It's mine, not yours."


"What is your aim in philosophy?--To show the fly the way out of the fly-bottle."--Wittgenstein
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20244 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Assuming that you are not the fly in that analogy of course.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4821 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
I like how you move to your agenda so gracefully.


I'll take that as a compliment Smile

Quote:
Toothpaste, because by dentist said so.


Look into the history of the American Dental Association taking money in return for their endorsements ("Crest has been show to be an effective dentifrice...")

Quote:
Water with dinner.


Sensible. Will that be Perrier or Evian, sir, with your steak?

Quote:
I have traveled much of the planet and I prefer where I live. Greatest country is the equivalent of a world's greatest dad t-shirt. Not sure how official any of those rankings actually are.


Experience is a good thing. You'd be amazed by how many who have never gotten off their living room couches who make that judgement.


Quote:
Then to your inevitable agenda piece. Am I not allowed to own anything?


Of course you are. We live in a particular society at a particular time. But I'm talking about beliefs often held as axiomatic, but which can't possibly be so, since other societies in the past did not always act in the same way. It's enlightening for fish from time to time to look at the water they are swimming in.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20244 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It must be horrible to live life thinking everything is a conspiracy and everyone is against you.

You always complain yet never offer a solution. Or oddly enough your solutions have never in the history of the world worked.

But let me guess. It was just never done the right way.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players...


This is true, but unfortunately the actors believe they are the role...

Days full of putting on masks, pulling off masks, and changing masks must be exhausting.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4821 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
It must be horrible to live life thinking everything is a conspiracy and everyone is against you.

You always complain yet never offer a solution. Or oddly enough your solutions have never in the history of the world worked.

But let me guess. It was just never done the right way.


Wrong on all three counts.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20244 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You are CONSTANTLY pushing an agenda of socialist utopia and complain endlessly about capitalism. These are facts not opinions. Your posting history speaks for itself.

Show us where on the scale of the United States socialism has worked ever. You say capitalism has killed people, but socialism and communism have killed hundreds of millions. Not even close in the score card. But you ignore that. You are very myopic. It is sad because you are quite intelligent.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1342 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Capitalism gave us 2 world wars. Socialism is not a utopia. Lynn
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Are there only two possibilities? Unfettered capitalism or Soviet-style socialism?

Really?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Crash and Burn (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL