The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Who Have You Met? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
Well ive met greg frewin again along with Johnnie Blaze!
Alex Linian
View Profile
Inner circle
Peru
1277 Posts

Profile of Alex Linian
What's with all the name-dropping?!
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3409 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On 2006-08-23 16:25, Alex Linian wrote:
What's with all the name-dropping?!

Just something to do, I guess. I contributed many threads ago, but Lee (see 2 above) stomped me into a mud hole. Oh well, I 'm an Old F*rt who has probably forgotten more than I listed.

FWIW

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Cody Fisher
View Profile
Special user
884 Posts

Profile of Cody Fisher
Kostya Kimlat, David Oliver, John Born, Seth Kramer, Banachek, Criss Angel, Marc DeSouza, and Jamy Ian Swiss.

Cody
Zorlio
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Zorlio
Met Banachek at a college show in Feb'06; really friendly dude
Magic Spank
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas
320 Posts

Profile of Magic Spank
Quote:
Oh well, I 'm an Old F*rt who has probably forgotten more than I listed.

You can say Flirt here Stanyon.

Rob
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2746 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Slydini was at Tannen's when I bought my paperback of Hay's "The Amateur Magician's Handbook." He talked to me about the fact that he was the "hands" in the shots.

I also met Randi there.

My favorite though was being at a local "watering hole" in New York. The owner knew both my wife and me and said an old friend who used to bartend there was visiting and would I like to show him something. Guy comes up, blows me away with a few things and says; "How you doing? I'm Derek Dingle."

I said to my wife later; "Oh yeah, they want me to show 'Derek Dingle' something! Why don't you just ask me to show Heifitz (sp) how to play 'Chopsticks!' "

(Oddly enough, the place was a favorite for my wife's office, she'd been there several times before me and had actually known Derek from when he was bartending... she had no idea he was a big name "magician's magician."
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
Met some more people this week

Aaron Delong
Kline
Tyler Wilson
Peter Mennie
Eric Buss
Ben Proudfoot
Joe Givan and Carol Massie
Peter Lograhn
Craig Douglas
Brian Roberts
Lee Asher
Shawn Fields
Aaron Fisher
Majinx
Magic Mike
Dave Mitchell
Dan Morrissey

and many more
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Drat! I forgot to mention Greg Frewin, who was kind wnough to sit down with me in back at Magic, Inc and "talk shop" one afternoon! One heckuva nice guy!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Jonton
View Profile
Veteran user
New York City
336 Posts

Profile of Jonton
Lets see...
As being a teenager with no money, job, or car, I feel pretty proud of myself knowing that I've met a few of the big names. I havent been able to go to the lectures that I want, I havent been able to see the shows that I want, and I havent been able to attend the conventions that I want, but I've still met a few rather impressive people.

My father went to high school with Barry Taylor, and he used to take me to Barry's shop all the time when I was very very young. Once I became seriously interested in magic around age 14, I was reaccquainted with Barry. I ran into Al Cohen at his shop once. I attended the 2005 IBM Ring 50 Magi-Whirl and met Eric Henning, John Rogers, and Denny Haney.

That summer, my stepmom took me to Vegas for a few days where I got to talk magic with Mac King between shows. I met Jeff Hobson while he was performing as M.C. at the V - Ultimate Variety Show at the Aladdin. Later that evening, I [literally] ran into Morgan Strebler at the Bellagio. I met Joan Dukore (sp?) at Denny's shop, and went across the parking lot to meet the owner of Planet Mirth (was a bit of a jerk to me...so much for being Bozo the Clown's son).

This past summer I went to VA Beach for a week to hang out with Jack Shea and Randy Hermoso (Randy and I have been friends for a few years). Also saw Nick Tweedy for the second year in a row.

For my absolute favorite:
About a month ago at the Maryland Renaissance Festival, Gazzo made a 2 day appearance. Gazzo and I share a very close mutual friend (Randy Hermoso, as mentioned earlier). I got to talk with Gazzo for a little while (with a few other magicians who caught word of his presence) between shows(http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c167/JontonofSpades/Magic/).

This list seems very minor, but under the conditions of being a broke, car-less teenager, I'm pretty lucky.
Just my few cents...
~Jonathan
I Came, I Saw, I Conjured
www.jontaylornyc.com
Hayre
View Profile
Regular user
Arkansas
184 Posts

Profile of Hayre
I met Don Wayne and Steve Freeman when I was a teenager in OKC. They have gone on (to California, of course), and up, in the field of magic, and they cover the spectrum from Copperfield TV illusions to the inner circle of Vernon. By the time both were 20, and still in Oklahome, they were both magical encyclopedias, and destined to be major forces in shaping magic. They shared many ideas, and these ideas formed and shaped my magic thinking for the next 30 years.
kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
Derren Brown showed me a trick at Blackpool and for a few minutes I knew what it felt like to believe in magic again!! I learned more in that few minutes than I have in any magic lecture or from any book.
VISIT MY ONLINE STORE!: www.kimmomagicshop.com
NEW LECTURE NOTES - SHOW US YOUR TRIX NOW AVAILABLE AS AN INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!
Order your copy NOW! CLICK HERE!

ENTERTAINER,MAGICIAN AND VENTRILOQUIST'S BLOG - DON'T READ THIS...
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
Well now ive met freddy Fusion, steven the great, danny hammill and of course doo doo the clown!
fbnc
View Profile
Loyal user
Memphis
227 Posts

Profile of fbnc
Many years ago before I got out of magic I got to spend a little time with Doug Henning at Al's magic in Washington D.C.. I also met and talked with Slydini.
I became involved in theatre production and worked with David Williamson for several years(he was the house magician)that was very wacky. When I moved to Memphis
about 14 years ago I met Harry Blackstone Jr. who was working a comedy club grand opening (really nice guy).
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
Shoot Ogawa, Gregory Wilson, Martin Nash, Pavel, and Scott Wells have all lectured at my Ring (Ring 16, Memphis). I was able to chat with them all afterwards. Shoot Ogawa, Gregory Wilson, and Martin Nash were all kind enough to join us all for supper after the lectures.

Dick Williams has been known to attend our ring lectures and meetings from time and got a chance to chat with him during the Pavel lecture.

Jim Surprise is a member of our ring I consider him to be a mentor of mine.
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
At the Magifest I've met quite a few magicians. But the one I got to spend a little time with during a lecture was Michael Ammar. I've also met Jason Born, Richard Sanders and Johnny "Ace" Palmer. Personal friends of mine are/were Carroll Baker and Justin Miller.

If only I could meet Penn & Teller or Lance Burton. That would really make my millenium! Smile
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
In ventriloquism, Jeff Dunham.

A bigger question would be: How many of them gave you their autograph? I try to get autographs from as many magicians at magifest as I possibly can on the schedule of events. Not only does each signature remind me of warm, fuzzy, past experiences, but they make great collectors' items.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
There are quite a few I have "met", if you want to count just having shaken thier hands or seen a lecture etc, but the ones that I have met often enough to have had an influence on me, would be:
Phil Thomas
Al Cohen
Barry Taylor
Denny Haney
Dave Roehmer
Bill Steinecker
Gene Gordon
Bob Sheets
Steve Spill
Scotty York
Howie Schwartzman
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
I have autographs from the following:

Derren Brown
Paul Daniels
Belinda Sinclair
John Carney
Mac King
Juan Tamariz
Mark Raffles
Jason Latimer
Norbert Ferre
Alex Elmsley - really treasure this one
Fay Presto
Roy Davenport
Marvin Berglas
Guy Hollingworth
Finn Jon
Max Somerset
Jamy Ian Swiss
Mark Shortland
Steve Cohen
Jeff McBride

Delighted to have met them all; vast majority were at the excellent Magic Circle Centenary London '05. Cheers

Chris
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17103 Posts

Profile of joseph
Geoffrey Buckingham, Bud Deitrich(sp), Arnold Furst, Gene Gordon (IBM#2..wow)(visited his shop in Buffalo and talked to him several times, Mike Ammar,
Dan Harlan, and many more...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Who Have You Met? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL