The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Website where I can buy magicians clothing? (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicJac
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of MagicJac
Can any one recommend a website where I can buy good magicians outfits or clothing?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
That'a a rather "broad" question!

Please define what a "good" magician's wardrobe IS!

My friend, Mac King dresses to fit his act. Lance Burton, ditto. Harry Blackstone, Senior, wore white tie, tails, and, entered wearing an Inverness cape. Harry B. Jr. wore various tuxedos with beadwork. Doug Henning wore fancy jeans, and tee shirts. Okito wore a Chinese Mandarin robe. Jay Marshall, in his younger years, wore white tie, and, tails. Later, he wore a tux. In his older years, he saw me, wearing a tartan jacket. (He was a Scot, so he felt at home!)

In big cities you can find theatrical wardrobe designers, who will make whatever you want! If you're not near a metropolis, use GOOGLE.

First, you must decide what "character" that YOU will "be".

Most of my work was in the Lyceum field. I needed to be "dressed up", but, not too "theatrical". At first, I wore a three piece, well tailored suit, as Principals, and teachers did.

As times changed, educators dressed more casually. I did, too. A nice blazer, an open collar shirt, etc. worked well. I remember working in Alabama, Louisiana, and Mississippi, wearing a a polo shirt, Bermuda shorts, and sandals!

Because I do/did tricks with small props (golf balls, rope, etc.)it was necessary to wear a solid color shirt, "against which", the props would contrast.

I vividly remember a "professional" (at least he said that he was!)magician, at an IBM national convention, wearing a beautiful white tux, with white shirt, vest, and, pants. He did the Professor's Nightmare with white rope. The rope, of course, was invisible past the first row.

I remember another "pro." who writes for the national magic magazines. He wore a black suit, black shirt, hat and shoes. he did the MALINI EGG BAG. (It was a black egg bag.) The audience of about 1500, occasionally saw a little white egg. Oh! the stage was "hung" in black, too.

I wrote about these situations in my book.

The old "rule of thumb" for club date performers, was to be "better dressed" than those in the audience.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1366 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Well, I will echo Dicks comments. However to give you a "lead" I have used http://www.touchofclassformals.net/press on several occasions

and been very happy with their selection and service.

This may or may NOT be what you are looking for.

Best of luck

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1268 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
The honest best place to find a good Magician's outfit is a regular clothing store. Buy the clothing that fits your character as Dick said, and modify it as you need to. Such as, if you plan to use anything for something like a bird act or vanishing and producing items from nowhere, then you will need the appropriate attire for such modifications. My other advise is unless you are good with a needle and thread or a sewing machine, find you a good seamstress. A good seamstress will be invaluable to you.

While you may well find yourself performing in casual attire, it has been my experience that you should be prepared to perform in business casual attire (with a nice jacket) at the very least. I was known to wear a very nice t-shirt with a jacket (mostly due to not wanting to overheat) and never had any issue.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Sacramento California
775 Posts

Profile of 61magic
As said character will drive the clothing choice. If you're not after the traditional ties and tails here is a site I've purchased from that offers quality clothes at reasonable prices.

https://www.historicalemporium.com/
Professor J. P. Fawkes
Peter McMillan
View Profile
Elite user
St. George, Utah
497 Posts

Profile of Peter McMillan
I second the Historical Emporium whole hardheartedly! I have used them for many years for cowboy items and currently have 3 Edwardian costumes for Mulee Pete to dazzle the crowd. Easy to maintain, excellent fit, quality material. And they have always provided me with outstanding customer service via email and phone.

The secondhand store should not be shunned as it often yields surprising finds for coats, pants, shirts, shoes, hats and accessories.
Spiritus Dictum Artifacts ~ Tools of the Craft for Serious Workers http://petemcmillan.wixsite.com/sd-artifacts/artifacts
~
www.SantaPeteUtah.com
kidnapped1853
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of kidnapped1853
I too use Historical Emporium - Large inventory, great quality, and fast service.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
The New Chic and Dress Lily sites, as well as the Wish app, have some unique styles of jackets.
Nachtzehrer
View Profile
Veteran user
Portugal
324 Posts

Profile of Nachtzehrer
Alex
thegreatscungilli
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of thegreatscungilli
If you are not looking for stuff that has special "magicians features" try your local Good Will store. I have found lots of good stuff tux jackets, frock coat, shirts etc. all really cheap.
TomB
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan, USA
330 Posts

Profile of TomB
Quote:
On Mar 29, 2019, Nachtzehrer wrote:
Http://magic-tailors.com/

It appears they are no longer in business.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
The Great Scungilli is right and then go to any tailor. They are amazing people. They're still around. For secret pochettes and profonde's etc, you could try learning to sew. I'm lucky that my grandmother showed me the basics by candlelight during a hurricane. She was sewing by candlelight and you knew she had done that before, but explained what she was doing as a way of keeping my mind off the hurricane. I never forgot the basics, and made my own egg bag etc. Right now I'm trying to make a new pocket in my tux about 50 years after making the egg bag. If you know how to sew, especially for something that won't be seen, it is better than trying to explain what you are attempting to a wife or girlfriend or even that taylor who has his hands full even making the suit fit correctly.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Be aware that Bespoke Moda sizes tend to run small. I'm returning a blazer because it's small enough that I couldn't put props in the pockets. The length is comical - too short to look good.
Inlakesh
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Inlakesh
The department store in your area. First define your character. Take into account your age, your style of magic, your props, and your physique. And wear nice shoes.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
When shopping for show clothes, one of the first places I check is a family-owned men's store in the inner-city, not far from where I live. The one I go to has knowledgeable staff, which is a must. They have some unusual styles and I look for something that will stand out without being over the top.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
There's a tailor on Etsy that has Magician's vests listed. More pockets than you'll ever need, and build in topit. Though they will customize it for you according to your needs:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CinevaArt
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
656 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
I second big al. Go to a clothier.mine keeps my measurements on file and let's me know when specials are coming. They have a great tailor that will add just about anything you need to clothes.most importantly get clothes that are good quality and are properly fitted.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Website where I can buy magicians clothing? (8 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL