The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » IF a tree falls in a forest... (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20613 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
But to take the original post a bit more seriously I have always thought it incredibly arrogant to think that the universe does not continue without us observing it directly. Only humans posses such arrogance. Only some humans at that.

So yes the universe goes happily along whether you realize it or not. I mean isn't that really the question at hand here? If I personally don't know of it does it happen?

As a VERY small child I used to believe the TV characters stopped when I switched off the TV. But I was a child. Didn't take long to figure out that they went merrily asking completely independent of my observation. Go figure.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
640 Posts

Profile of karnak
Does "sound" refer to (A) the objective physical reality of vibrational waves propagating through a medium?

Or does "sound" refer to (B) the subjective mental reality of experiencing a sense perception we call a noise?

The answer to the original question ("If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around, does it make a 'sound'?") might be yes if (A), or no if (B).
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2017, NYCTwister wrote:
Wrong thread.

As if responding to himself.

Quote:
On Apr 7, 2017, NYCTwister wrote:
Cue the pseudo-intellectual nit pickers.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
...the TV characters stopped when I switched off the TV. But I was a child. Didn't take long to figure out that they went merrily asking completely independent of my observation. Go figure.

A pragmatic approach: To emotionally build upon a model where it's the same moon and the same sun every day works until you get to creating explanations - or Mythology.
There's a tradeoff between verifying everything as it is when experienced and depending upon models with rules. Rules based models can be hacked. Verification to sufficient confidence takes time and effort. Consider how long it was between Euclid and Newton.

On the other side of that coin, mythology/canon can be confused with history - maps. Is the moral of the story the social trump of making someone else sit for the telling and repeating it?

On TV: Doctor Who keeps changing actors, as does Superman, Batman and ...
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20613 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2017, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2017, NYCTwister wrote:
Wrong thread.

As if responding to himself.

Quote:
On Apr 7, 2017, NYCTwister wrote:
Cue the pseudo-intellectual nit pickers.

Oh he was right. It has not even yet begun.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

If an old philosophy 101 question gets posted on a forum does the discussion get hostile and personal?
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9086 Posts

Profile of funsway
In our woods out back I asked a tree this question. He has never lied to me previously.

He says that he knows when a tee falls in the forest and is sorry humans are limited to sound waves as a means of perceiving reality.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
I asked a tree the same question.

If he responded I couldn't hear him.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

How could you know if..

Cages of easily startled animals monitored...?
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17674 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Biocentrism....
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
It depends whether said tree was in a vacuum or not. If YES, then NO.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17674 Posts

Profile of Slim King
SOUND IS A BIOLOGICAL TERM .. WAVELENGTHS OF VIBRATION CAUSE A SOUND ON A PERSONS EARDRUM.... Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
132 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
If a person dies on earth. does anyone hear their last breath?
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On Apr 18, 2017, Slim King wrote:
SOUND IS A BIOLOGICAL TERM .. WAVELENGTHS OF VIBRATION CAUSE A SOUND ON A PERSONS EARDRUM.... Smile

If sound is only biological or physical, how is it possible to SHOUT on an Internet forum? Smile
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9086 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Apr 19, 2017, stoneunhinged wrote:

If sound is only biological or physical, how is it possible to SHOUT on an Internet forum? Smile

or, the flip side, to produce a lot of NOISE by not posting on a thread/forum.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Has anyone noticed trees making sounds?
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2017, Jonathan Townsend wrote:

My neighbourhood is filled with populus tremuloides, or trembling aspen.

They talk all summer.

The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9086 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2017, Jonathan Townsend wrote:

remember the 2004 tsunami in Indonesia that killed 200,000+ people but not a single recored animal or bird.

Several scientists researching the events reportedly interviewed many of the animals that reported that the trees told them about the impending danger.

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Birds are animals.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » IF a tree falls in a forest... (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL