The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » 'Nothing But The Truth' by Craig Petty » » Craig Petty review show starts today (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
lumberjohn
View Profile
Special user
Memphis, TN
597 Posts

Profile of lumberjohn
Re: Episode 1. I have to disagree with Craig on this one. I don't think you can say that a product is selling out everywhere in the same breath as saying it solves no problem. If that many people are buying it, they think it serves some otherwise unfilled need. Craig claims it has no advantages over a $100 BS but I disagree. The $100 BS, as typically performed, requires quite a few steps and is quite fidgety. If performed deliberately, it takes around 30 seconds or so to complete and appears somewhat theatrical. Insta-Change happens in a flash at waist level. There are no fidgety moves and you can hand the bill out immediately.

I would see this as superior to the $100 BS for someone that likes to perform organic magic casually. For example, you walk up to a cashier, pull out a receipt, seem flustered since you meant to bring out a bill, and then immediately change it and pay. Insta-Change would be perfect for that whereas the $100 BS would seem a bit contrived.

I'm not saying that Insta-Change is better than the $100 BS generally. I think they serve different needs. Accordingly, I think Craig goes too far by claiming that Insta-Change is inferior to the $100 BS across the board, serves no purpose, and is completely worthless.
bluesmagic
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of bluesmagic
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2017, lumberjohn wrote:
Re: Episode 1. I have to disagree with Craig on this one. I don't think you can say that a product is selling out everywhere in the same breath as saying it solves no problem. If that many people are buying it, they think it serves some otherwise unfilled need. Craig claims it has no advantages over a $100 BS but I disagree. The $100 BS, as typically performed, requires quite a few steps and is quite fidgety. If performed deliberately, it takes around 30 seconds or so to complete and appears somewhat theatrical. Insta-Change happens in a flash at waist level. There are no fidgety moves and you can hand the bill out immediately.

I would see this as superior to the $100 BS for someone that likes to perform organic magic casually. For example, you walk up to a cashier, pull out a receipt, seem flustered since you meant to bring out a bill, and then immediately change it and pay. Insta-Change would be perfect for that whereas the $100 BS would seem a bit contrive

I'm not saying that Insta-Change is better than the $100 BS generally. I think they serve different needs. Accordingly, I think Craig goes too far by claiming that Insta-Change is inferior to the $100 BS across the board, serves no purpose, and is completely worthless.



Exactly !
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
1241 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
I would see this as superior to the $100 BS for someone that likes to perform organic magic casually. For example, you walk up to a cashier, pull out a receipt, seem flustered since you meant to bring out a bill, and then immediately change it and pay. Insta-Change would be perfect for that whereas the $100 BS would seem a bit contrived.

[/quote]

Can that be done though?
garys
View Profile
New user
Hertfordshire, UK
55 Posts

Profile of garys
Craig, I have enjoyed watching both of the videos.

I agree with the subject matter of the second episode. While I wouldn't yet call myself a semi pro Magician I am only a few steps away.

It's not just in the magic community that has the same issues. I work professionally as a mobile DJ. It's much the same for mobile DJs. Just visit any DJ forum or Facebook group and you will see hundreds of posts asking what music to play. These DJs take on bookings that they have no idea about. These DJs are just cowboys with no care for the art. When I take a booking for a DJ gig I always ensure that I talk to the client directly. That way I can establish that I can offer exactly what they want/need. Every gig is an advert for my show. I have sometimes turned work away because it's not the right gig for me. In the short term it costs me money. Long term I keep my reputation. I get more respect from the client for saying no. I often hear from them another time when they have a different event.

A friend of mine is a full time magician. When I am working with my him I watch him closely. I am not watching how he does the trick. I know how it is done. I am watching how he interacts with the spectators. I am watching how the spectators reacts. I am learning so much just watching him in real situations. I know the day I take on a gig as a semi pro I will be worth my fee. .

Attitude is the problem. When a professional is doing a job well it looks easy. I once had someone ask "Why do you charge so much when all you are doing is playing a few CDs" From the outside people think it is easy and anyone can do it.

Please listen to Craig's advice. Only take on bookings that you know you can do well. As he said if you want to move in to other areas learn about it before you take on the booking. Maybe you know a magician expert in that field, recommend them for the job. Then ask if you can go along to watch from a distance and learn.

Craig keep up the great work, I look forward to the next video.
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1318 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2017, lumberjohn wrote:
Re: Episode 1. I have to disagree with Craig on this one. I don't think you can say that a product is selling out everywhere in the same breath as saying it solves no problem. If that many people are buying it, they think it serves some otherwise unfilled need. Craig claims it has no advantages over a $100 BS but I disagree. The $100 BS, as typically performed, requires quite a few steps and is quite fidgety. If performed deliberately, it takes around 30 seconds or so to complete and appears somewhat theatrical. Insta-Change happens in a flash at waist level. There are no fidgety moves and you can hand the bill out immediately.

I would see this as superior to the $100 BS for someone that likes to perform organic magic casually. For example, you walk up to a cashier, pull out a receipt, seem flustered since you meant to bring out a bill, and then immediately change it and pay. Insta-Change would be perfect for that whereas the $100 BS would seem a bit contrived.

I'm not saying that Insta-Change is better than the $100 BS generally. I think they serve different needs. Accordingly, I think Craig goes too far by claiming that Insta-Change is inferior to the $100 BS across the board, serves no purpose, and is completely worthless.


Just my opinion doesn't mean I'm right. Also my opinion is based on the fact I am a worker and have no interest in performing bill switches to random cashiers. I would rather give them money and leave with what I purchased.

However if I was in this situation. I would use extreme burn. It is more visual, more impressive and there is no folding and you are seemingly changing more money and just better.

Again. Only my opinion.
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1318 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2017, garys wrote:
Craig, I have enjoyed watching both of the videos.

I agree with the subject matter of the second episode. While I wouldn't yet call myself a semi pro Magician I am only a few steps away.

It's not just in the magic community that has the same issues. I work professionally as a mobile DJ. It's much the same for mobile DJs. Just visit any DJ forum or Facebook group and you will see hundreds of posts asking what music to play. These DJs take on bookings that they have no idea about. These DJs are just cowboys with no care for the art. When I take a booking for a DJ gig I always ensure that I talk to the client directly. That way I can establish that I can offer exactly what they want/need. Every gig is an advert for my show. I have sometimes turned work away because it's not the right gig for me. In the short term it costs me money. Long term I keep my reputation. I get more respect from the client for saying no. I often hear from them another time when they have a different event.

A friend of mine is a full time magician. When I am working with my him I watch him closely. I am not watching how he does the trick. I know how it is done. I am watching how he interacts with the spectators. I am watching how the spectators reacts. I am learning so much just watching him in real situations. I know the day I take on a gig as a semi pro I will be worth my fee. .

Attitude is the problem. When a professional is doing a job well it looks easy. I once had someone ask "Why do you charge so much when all you are doing is playing a few CDs" From the outside people think it is easy and anyone can do it.

Please listen to Craig's advice. Only take on bookings that you know you can do well. As he said if you want to move in to other areas learn about it before you take on the booking. Maybe you know a magician expert in that field, recommend them for the job. Then ask if you can go along to watch from a distance and learn.

Craig keep up the great work, I look forward to the next video.


I have seen some shocking DJs mate. Worked with a guy a while ago working a full wedding off one QTX and an iPhone. Didn't even ask the bride and groom beforehand about their first dance and when they told him on the day he didn't have it. 😳😳😳
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3545 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
What may be obvious to one person may not be obvious to many. Craig's advice may seem like common sense, but many people, whether amateurs, hobbyists, semi-pros and full time pros, may knowingly or unwittingly ignore. I appreciate his advice as a reminder as to what is really important when purchasing or presenting magic and I ams sure most will too.
Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1120 Posts

Profile of Jared
It's great to see Craig back...The WPR hasn't been nearly as good since his departure. I also agree with Craig's points about Insta-Change. I bought the trick and for the most part like it but ONLY for the purpose of keeping it in my wallet to perform on the spot. I would always choose performing the Hundred Dollar Bill switch for paid gigs for the same reasons explained by Craig. I am looking forward to watching more of Craig's "Nothing But the Truth" reviews.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5585 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2017, Craig Petty wrote:
Again. Only my opinion.

Except that your lead in says "Nothing but truth." which can,and does, lead some to believe this is more than just opinion.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3971 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2017, Tom Cutts wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2017, Craig Petty wrote:
Again. Only my opinion.

Except that your lead in says "Nothing but truth." which can,and does, lead some to believe this is more than just opinion.



Smile Smile Smile
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1318 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2017, Tom Cutts wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2017, Craig Petty wrote:
Again. Only my opinion.

Except that your lead in says "Nothing but truth." which can,and does, lead some to believe this is more than just opinion.


Nothing But The Truth refers to the fact that this show is not a commercial venture. I am not affiliated with any magic shop and make no money from doing these videos at all. I have lost count of the amount of posts I have seeen saying XYZ show cannot be trusted because it's part of a magic shop. From that POV It is notjing but the truth.

However for me to assume that my opinion showed be taken as gospel would be massively egotistical and although I have an ego I don't have one that big.
Tarik Flash
View Profile
Inner circle
2465 Posts

Profile of Tarik Flash
As I have said before and I will say again Money Switch by Mickael Chatelain is far superior than insta change if you give it some thought and make it up so it can be immediately handed out and the whole thing is fully shown back and front and is handed out completely and can be used to pay with etc and is bill for bill . It's 3 very natural folds and boom it's all over I much prefer this to any bill switch out there unless it's done by an absolute master infact the next cleanest one I have ever seen is Jay Scott Berrys cloaking device . The original bill switch goes out of shot briefly when the change happens and is just folded up too small . If you really could do it you wouldn't be folding it in this manner rarely I see anyone apart from very few who do this well . Just my opinion I think borrowing the bill is a non issue the handing out for them to keep is the most important part if you feel the need for that and I like at least to have that option Tarik 😊
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5585 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2017, Craig Petty wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2017, Tom Cutts wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2017, Craig Petty wrote:
Again. Only my opinion.

Except that your lead in says "Nothing but truth." which can,and does, lead some to believe this is more than just opinion.


Nothing But The Truth refers to the fact that this show is not a commercial venture. I am not affiliated with any magic shop and make no money from doing these videos at all. I have lost count of the amount of posts I have seeen saying XYZ show cannot be trusted because it's part of a magic shop. From that POV It is notjing but the truth.

However for me to assume that my opinion showed be taken as gospel would be massively egotistical and although I have an ego I don't have one that big.


I commend you on being free of the entanglements of commercial backing. That fact does not make what you say "the truth". It just makes you opinions more autonomous and slightly less suspect.
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1318 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
For those of you interested in Marketing I was invited on The Magicians Advice Podcast to talk about that very subject.

I talk about a few different ideas and share some hints and tips that might help you to generate more enquiries.

Let me know what you think!
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3545 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Anyone interested in starting to advetise and market his/her services or to revamp an already existing marketing plan, must listen to this podcast. Craig knows what he is talking about and I learned a great deal from this podcast.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
rasmus
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland
1667 Posts

Profile of rasmus
I think, craig is on the right Track. I liked the Style of his Review.
As Craig mentioned, it's just his personal Opinion.

Honest Reviews and unbiased are very useful to anyone.

Will love to watch episode 2, thanks Craig for sharing your thoughts!

BTW: The TT Method is still the only one I use since I was 16 years old. It's still the Best
and I perform on any Occasion, also surrounded!!! (That was just my personal Opinion)
A World without Magic is a World without Dreams and Hope:)



Creator of: STEEL (performen by Dynamo), X-RAY, Real Coin Bend (performed by Dynamo), Totally Crazy Bands, Rasmus Haunted Deck
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1436 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
As I see it all the review shows put too much emphasis on "workers"

Not all effects need to be instant reset. There is plenty of AMAZING magic that is great and is not instant reset. Most magicians reading this forum and others are hobbyists performing for family, friends and schoolmates and do not perform for pay.

Of course it is important to know the reset time of new effects but to most hobbyists not the most important factor in a purchase decision.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5585 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On Apr 13, 2017, MagicMan1957 wrote:
As I see it all the review shows put too much emphasis on "workers"

Not all effects need to be instant reset. There is plenty of AMAZING magic that is great and is not instant reset. Most magicians reading this forum and others are hobbyists performing for family, friends and schoolmates and do not perform for pay.

Of course it is important to know the reset time of new effects but to most hobbyists not the most important factor in a purchase decision.


The market is speaking. Smile
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5030 Posts

Profile of pepka
It's great to hear Craig's reviews/rants again. Some of the best episodes of the OLD WPR is when Dave would have some fun by giving something a great review to a piece of junk...and Craig would just go nuts. My favorite has to be their review of the Jade Rings. "I'm wasn't palming it or anything."-David Penn.

Keep it up Craig!
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1318 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On Apr 13, 2017, MagicMan1957 wrote:
As I see it all the review shows put too much emphasis on "workers"

Not all effects need to be instant reset. There is plenty of AMAZING magic that is great and is not instant reset. Most magicians reading this forum and others are hobbyists performing for family, friends and schoolmates and do not perform for pay.

Of course it is important to know the reset time of new effects but to most hobbyists not the most important factor in a purchase decision.


I get what you are saying mate but the problem is I am a worker. I will try to take this into consideration however using instachange as an example I honestly think it would serve ANY magician to learn a good bill switch instead of buying a gimmick like instachange.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » 'Nothing But The Truth' by Craig Petty » » Craig Petty review show starts today (14 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL