The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » To topit or not topit? (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Will Leiva
View Profile
New user
Ottawa, Kansas
30 Posts

Profile of Will Leiva
I've been practicing coin magic for 2 years now and saw a magician using a topit. Then it got me thinking, are there topits out there that you can use for coin stuff. If so, is that topit restricted to only coins? What would be the advantages and disadvantages of said topit compared to other ones?
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
808 Posts

Profile of danaruns
I use a topit for coins and other things. It's Michael Ammar's topit, which to my mind is for generic use. You can vanish a coin or produce a bottle of champagne.

To my mind, topits are excellent for coins.
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
Will Leiva
View Profile
New user
Ottawa, Kansas
30 Posts

Profile of Will Leiva
Awesome! Thank you for your response danaruns. I'll go look it up right now.🙂 I'm really excited now because this means I'm most likely getting a new toy to play with.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Personally I think Michael's is the best out there.

But if you are specifically wanting it for coins, and you wear button up shirts, you can also look at TKO 2.0.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
If you toss a coin in a shopping bag and then want to get it back, you have to go digging for it. You might prefer a much smaller bag for that reason. A shopping bag has to be concealed inside a coat or jacket. A smaller bag can hide in much smaller spaces. Consider also no bag at all and use a hook or magnet. Weigh your options and then choose what's right for you.
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
808 Posts

Profile of danaruns
Or a pull.
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
There are also lots of possibilities in a T-shirt, as Wiz Kid Eleazar points out in his "T-Shirt Magic" e-Book from The Wizards' Journal #7.
jljones83
View Profile
New user
LA, CA
90 Posts

Profile of jljones83
I liked Ammar's advice on scalloping the bottom of the topit, to allow you to hide several coins, as they won't slide together and clink.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
You can also modify the toppit to deposit the coins in your pocket.
JG
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of JG
Quote:
On Apr 13, 2017, Will Leiva wrote:
I've been practicing coin magic for 2 years now and saw a magician using a topit. Then it got me thinking, are there topits out there that you can use for coin stuff. If so, is that topit restricted to only coins? What would be the advantages and disadvantages of said topit compared to other ones?

Let your mind run free on this one!

Yes, there are topits out there suitable for coins. Michael Ammars is a great topit, I used it a lot,(check out his coin in bottle using a topit, it's a great example of thinking outside the box and moving away from using it just to vanish a coin). There are many others available. Pat Page used a relatively basic topit, and few people worked more than him, in all situations to all types of audiences. Do some research and work out what you need it for. Check out the ones built into ties (if you wear one). I've used trouser turn ups as a topit. Plus pockets make a great topit. Add to those all the 'standard' topits, and the newly released topits that are allegedly the best ever, and you've lots to choose from.

If you can, try to find a living breathing magician who uses one, and discuss it with them. 1 hour with them will be worth more than 10 hours online.

Also, you may get advice to ignore topits for now, just stick to the basics, its all you need, etc. But I suggest you go for it. The more you try, learn and inwardly digest, the more fun it is and the more knowledgeable you become.

Good luck.
"PANTHERA - Improve and Develop Your Mentalism" by Jack Goldstein - a large hard backed limited edition book of mentalism, over 30 top contributors, with professional effects and essays.

Buy it now through Michael Murray at MindFX: https://www.mindfx.co.uk/

Lulu.com
https://www.lulu.com/shop/jack-goldstein/panthera/hardcover/product-m9w6w9.html?page=1&pageSize=4
Will Leiva
View Profile
New user
Ottawa, Kansas
30 Posts

Profile of Will Leiva
Thank you guys for all the responses. I have a lot to think about. Also thanks for all the support. I'll update this once I've made a decision. I just joined an SAM club not so near me but the closest I could find. I'm going to ask around there as well to see if anyone uses a topit.
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
For impromptu coin topit-like work, hard to beat Greg Wilson's Pith and Ditch.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Also look up Secret Servante for coin work. Not a topit but great for productions and vanishes.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » To topit or not topit? (9 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL