We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Tux Jackets (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2149 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Hi all. My dad recently was in an S&K menswear, where they told him that last year's tuxes are going out for $100 for jacket and pants. A 42r jacket fits me perfectly, but I think I'm going to go with a 44, in order to add some extra inner pockets, possibly a topit, etc. How much bigger do you get your jackets, and why? I've never worked in a tux, I usually work in a vest. Any input is appreciated. Also, if you've installed extra inner pockets, where and what size?

One last bit - the jackets I tried on for sizing had those fake outer coat pockets. The ones with a flap, but no actual pocket. It is a good idea to have pockets installed there?

I appreciate all your feedback.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Kevin:

Concerning the fake outer pockets - the pockets are real, but sewn shut. Many formal wear sales people will tell you to keep them sewn shut to keep a crisp looking jacket with no sagging pockets.

Your case is different - if you're going to install a topit, you probably want the pockets opened so you can retrieve things from it.

I don't think I'd try opening the pockets by myself. I'd take it to a tailor; it shouldn't be more than a few dollars.

I hope this helps you.

Ron
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2149 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Thanks Ron. Oh, those sneaky, deceptive clothing manufacturers making me think they were fake pockets... as for any alterations/installations, I plan on going to a tailor. We all have the grandmother who sews, and I have a friend who is a fledgling costume designer, but ultimately I think it's well worth it to have a professional tailor dealing with the items that I use to make my living. Thanks for the help!

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Allan
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of Allan
As previously said, go to a tailor. As far as size and placement, trial and error are the best method. First try and figure out what will go into the pocket and where you think it should be. As time goes by you will be able to adjust size and location. It will not be correct on the first try but as you replace the clothing, you will have a better idea of how it should be done. It will be a work in progress that gets refined a little at a time.

Keep in mind that the more props you place in the jacket the more weight you are carrying. As time goes by the jacket will be pulled and stretched out of shape. You want to think carefully about this.
edfliss
View Profile
New user
St. Louis, MO
58 Posts

Profile of edfliss
If you buy an oversized jacket, it will look oversized and that is not good. Get one that fits across the shoulders and buttons comfortably in the front (always an issue with me because of my large girth), then be prepared to pay for alterations. A tailor can adjust the jacket length, sleeve length, overall fit, and can remove the little knapsack-like hump at the base of the neck. The tailor can also get the collar to lie flat across your neck so that it doesn't gap.

Properly fitted and altered, your jacket will look custom-made and very, very professional.

I try to find dinner jackets at thrift shops and rummage sales. They are usually barely worn. The alterations are most of the cost of my jackets.

Ed
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3412 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
And don't forget to have the tailor further alter the sleeves by opening the cuffs just a little more. Makes all the difference in the world when working with coins.

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
bry1513
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of bry1513
You don't have to spend much money on a tux. I have purchased two new ones off of ebay. One a Pierre Cardin (coat tails) and the other a Oscar DeLarenta for under $40.00. Hope this helps.

Take care,

Bry
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20524 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I'm no tailor. Worse than that I was raised a cowboy. We thought Levi was the cowboys' tailor. I have been in the professional entertainment industry since the late 50s. So there is one thing I will pass on about costumes and the tux in particular. The tux will set the stage faster than most any other costume. It fosters expectation of something special. Look for all wool! Especially around flames, fire and flash it is much safer than almost anything else we wear. Catching on fire is just one risk the show doesn't need.

As an added note, people know how to clean and repair wool that would get themselves into real trouble with other fabrics. If you are on the road, buy real wool. Otherwise, buy at least two complete matching constumes at a time. You will likely need the back up on very short notice. If you work with rabbits, buy extra pants. Rabbits will kick and slice tux pants to rags if you are not very careful. Given the choice, don't buy rental tux pants with the adjustable waist tab. The pockets are not the same. Buy sized to fit waist and be able to use the pockets without having to look for them or getting hungup. (New, the price is the same.)

Bob
The Amazed Wiz
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Tux Jackets (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL