The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Card college volume 5 (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Hi,
I know what is inside this book, namely expert versions of tricks in the first 4 volumes. But I would like to have your opinion on the material. Have you ever tried some tricks ? The contents are not often discussed as compared to the other volumes.
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2017, Rachmaninov wrote:
I know what is inside this book, namely expert versions of tricks in the first 4 volumes.

Well, then you do NOT really know what's inside the book. Right now, four of the items in the book grace my repertoire, and none of them appeared in CC 1-4 in any way, shape or form.

Instead of a lengthy post praising CC5, I'd like to put it this way: If you know Card College 1-4 at all, or any other book by Giobbi for that matter, what would you expect from this particular author? Rehashing old stuff? A compilation of leftovers? A collection of pipe dreams or cute ideas? Wasting your time with so-so tricks? Sloppy writing?

The core of Card College 5 consists of a collection of performance pieces from Giobbi's professional repertoire, mostly fine tuned handlings/versions of classics or neo-classics of card magic. As far as I'm concerned, the quality of the magic is superb. The writing is as usual: clear, lucid, insightful, passionate, intelligent. Everything else is just a matter of taste.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Really nothing to add to Uli's words, get it, it is superb, the routines and their constructions are things of pure beauty. So much to learn! Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
I should have written "I've been heard that CC5 is a collection of expert versions...".
I think my post was not reflecting my thoughts, but I didn't want to generate opinions biaised by my words.
Of course, I praised all books by Giobbi as gold. I've started magic with Cartomagie Moderne Vol 1 & 2 before they were translated in English, in 1991. It has shaped deeply my approach in magic, as much as Roubert Houdin did at the same time. I'm currently in my 4 th studying of those books, by mean of CC 1-4 because I realized that a lot of things have been added to the English version.
I was just surprised by the fact that the contents are never discussed anywhere and I wanted to have opinions. Uli, the ratio of 4 tricks in a single book joining your repertoire means a lot.
I was not an avid magic forum activist until recently, I realize little by little that most of people are interested by the latest things, rather than the best.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Card college volume 5 (2 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL