The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Visibility (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

StreetWitch
View Profile
New user
Dayton, Ohio
56 Posts

Profile of StreetWitch
"Visibility" is the name of my new coin effect, and I believe it has a lot of potential. Coin guys will realize this thing can do a lot more than what you see me doing. I just put this video up today, and am posting to get advice on marketing this thing. If anyone is interested I would love to find partners who can help sell "Visibility". Also any questions or discussion about this or my video would be excellent. (This is my first post on the Café)

https://youtu.be/nB3B5QmYE54
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Special user
974 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Welcome to the Café!

I'm a bit confused by what you're proposing to sell here.
Your routine is a bit hard to follow. You do a handful of things, though there's a somewhat unclear vanish/reappearance that happens a few times. It's not clear to me which bit is the "effect", or if it's the whole thing.

You've posted under "Trick Coin Trickery" which makes me think you're proposing some kind of new gaff, but I didn't see anything that jumps at me as being more than sleight of hand, so I'm again uncertain about the nature of the effect.

In terms of suggestions, I'd say the biggest thing is that you're rushing. A lot. Pacing is important - slow down, and let the vanish (and reappearance) sink in, rather than just zooming around from one change to the next. I also see a few unnatural-looking (to me) moment where you squash your hands together (the first and last vanish), which immediately make me want to look at the other hand.

I agree there's potential here, but from the video and description make it hard to tell how much. I'd be happy to discuss it more, but if you want to go straight to selling, you could try some kind of self-publishing method like on Penguin. http://www.penguinmagic.com/about/partner-program

PS You flash at 0:26!
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Tom G
It does appear that you have something moving back and forth, but it really needs to be smoothed out. As tons mentioned, you need a routine instead of just random moves.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2017, tonsofquestions wrote:
I'd say the biggest thing is that you're rushing. A lot. Pacing is important - slow down, and let the vanish (and reappearance) sink in, rather than just zooming around from one change to the next. I also see a few unnatural-looking (to me) moment where you squash your hands together (the first and last vanish), which immediately make me want to look at the other hand.

Welcome to the Café, Witch! Yeah. Have to agree. You're good at "juggling coins" as I call it. Magic happens IN THE MIND. A tale of Enchantment is weaved. The spectator is invited to suspend their disbelief and join you in a World where anything is possible! With all due respect to those who do it, the Coin Flurry is not Magic. It is showing off one's skill.

Doug
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Hey Doug, agreed. I'm not too much of a fan of the one coin routine. For most it screams "look how well I can hide the coin/look at how many moves I know." People like Slydini, Roth, Kurtz and a few others can pull it off very well.
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
669 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
To me it seems like you are catching the coin at times and others you look as if you are moving the coin so it can be in a proper position. All the other advice so far is spot on. You need to smooth things out.

Another note I will say is at some points you put your hands together to deposit the coin into the opposite hand, but other times you toss it because of this it feels very unnatural. If you did the hands together every time then it could build and be right. This is done right at the beginning. You take a coin out and tossed it to the right hand, but a few seconds later you are putting your hands palm to palm to transfer the coin.

Good luck and hope you develop it further.
scott0819
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ont.
816 Posts

Profile of scott0819
Hey StreetWitch, welcome. Some good advice/comments from those above. For me, the posted video did not clearly illustrate the advantages of using this gimmick over traditional sleight of hand. While it allowed a very flat hand position at times (similar to a purse palm), I don't think that is the most natural hand position to be in. And shuttling two objects around (coin + gimmick) is certainly more difficult than just one.

If there are other more novel applications for this gimmick, I'd love to see them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Visibility (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL